Author Topic: My dilema (other then i can't spell)  (Read 4133 times)

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
My dilema (other then i can't spell)
« on: June 09, 2006, 06:54:10 PM »
I think i have platued....

Jams are becoming more and more social now and i find my self working my vocal muscles more then anything else. And becuase of work, school, etc, I havn't had a serious training session in a while! I know alot of people preach about traning by yourself, and its benifits, but for me at this time, it would be more benificul to train with a group. It is hard for me to find the motivation to push myself pass that point where my muscles are shaking, and i cant even focus anymore. I read the thread on .Net, it made sense and i came to this conclusion, i need a new way to train.

Sensei its literal translation isn't teacher, but "man who has been before" with that in mind, i ask people to share what has worked for them, since there is defintley not a right way for this share your expirences, to help someone aviod mistakes, or come to sucesses you have made. How did you overcome you Platue? How do you spell plateu(lol)? Do you have these trouble with your jams? what did you do about them? etc.

A call out to the "expirenced" members, share your  expirences and by doing so be useful.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
Re: My dilema (other then i can't spell)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 07:03:02 PM »
Plateau.

And while I haven't really experienced this with Parkour, I have with my second passion, guitar (my first passion being writing).  And the solution was to watch and listen and be inspired.  So my advice to you is to watch videos.  Watch the most amazing people that you can find.  And then strive and aspire to push yourself to your own limits.  The only other advice I can give you is to find a friend.  Sometimes, you DO have to train with other people to push yourself harder.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 07:35:49 PM »
Another idea is to figure out why you want to rain, where you want to be, and what your motivation is. I hate to sound demotivational, but maybe there is a reason you have plateaud? By seriously considering your own personal reasons and motivation for training, you'll discover if it's time to push on or time to give it a rest.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 08:01:11 PM »
Its not that i dont have motivation. Its almost like i have so much, Im frustrated that i am not at my goals, If that makes any sense

Offline RyanV

• Patas
  • There are 10 types of people in this world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 09:58:22 PM »
I can relate somewhat to this situation. It feels that i have reached a peak in my trainning and I need to find that something that will push it to the next level. At first i was pumped just to learn and become skilled at the basics, but now it seems I have run into a wall. My advice is to try to go out by yourself maybe later at night when there is very little distractions and just work. Not so much on Parkour, but on skills that will aid overall. Also what i have found to help is to go to an area that you know well and try to utilize it in a new way. This helped me to see new challenges and also something to work towards.
I hope this helped a little.

Offline Nick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 06:30:25 PM »
watch the b13 chase scene again, that usualy gets me motivated to go train. ;) .  and I seriously think that in your situation were your being more social than physical at jams, you really should go train alone for a little while, I used to hate training alone but since school ended ive been training by my self for at least 2 hours every day and it has really helped me focus, now I actualy prefer it sometimes to training with friends ( as odd as that seems).  And if you really hate training alone, train with just one or two other people, that way, you can all motivate each other without the distractions a big group brings.
"We aren't here right now to live forever, we'll live forever tomorow

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 05:48:54 AM »
Yeah Manilla, that makes sense, I've felt that way many times. What you may need then is to reasses your goals, and make some smaller goals. Call these "milestones" ... or points along the way to your larger goals. This is why there are belts in martial arts other than black. Some people (very few) would train in systems with no belts, these people are 100% internally motivated and know exactly what they want, and probably have some other characteristics as well. But most people need to see "progress along the way" ... so if your goals are big things, it may seem like you're not getting any closer, you want to be everywhere at once, faster, stronger, smoother, whatever, but you can't just become all those things in a day, a week, or a month. So what I sugggest is measure yourself somehow, whether it's time, distance, strength, and set some milestone goals, for example if you can bench 95 and you want to bench 135, then 135 is a bad goal, you need to set that in a few weeks you'll do 100, then 105, then 110. Nobody goes from 95 to 135, and if they do it was technique or understanding, not strength that limited them. This is the reason that at the WOD there is a link back to the last time you did a workout, usually about a month ago. Even though you haven't done that exact workout in a month, if you've done some or most of the other workouts, you'll see improvement in a month on that same workout. Stength, Speed, Stamina all link together as parts of fitness, so increasing fitness generally will increase all of these to some degree. Flexibility should work in there too, but carefully, if your goal is only to be flexible you may actually increase your risk of injury by overstretching or loosening things up past where the muscle is capable of holding it. But I digress.

See if you can apply the milestone method to your training goals, so you have some "big goals" that are things you'd like to be able to do some time in the future, and then you have "milestones" which are your map for how to get there.

Goals are great, but many people talk about them like "dreams" .. the way to turn goals into realities is through mapping out a path to acheive them and then following that path relentlessly. See the quote on todays (6/12) WOD.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 06:24:52 PM »
M2:
I'll try that out,

Now that i have my bike i will be more mobile, and hopefully it will lead to better solo training.

Offline Nem

• Patas
  • I'm back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 08:17:22 AM »
medetation and reflection help too.  Remember, its a comination of Mind and Body.  And unbalance might also be your problem.
Rusty, but still solid.

Offline IwishIcould

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 07:01:43 PM »
Im hearing "i dont train enough" um.... "let me go start a thread about it"   ;)
Oh was that a deep cut? Well dont get bummed i think most people are the same way, Im in the same boat as you why dont we get together and TRAIN about it.

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 08:29:26 PM »
Owais, you know if anyone else said that i would have to cut them  ;)

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 10:33:28 PM »
If your feeling burned out or plateued my advice is simple change some of the variables.

You sound like perhaps you put to much pressure or yourself, maybe focus on something else aside from the techniques were your feeling frustrated at. I can tell you a couple of things that recently helped me, Earlier this spring, my interest in parkour and my commitment was really sort of reinvigorated by starting to train in natural enviorments more for me the woods just changed my mindset and offered and enviorment that was more fufilling for my practice. Another thing to think about is how you are trainiing, often times I find in athletics that you can only attain a certain level of competence before your conditioning needs to improve to attain the next level of skill. I have been fairly consitent at getting descent conditioing and cross training outside of parkour but untill about 2 months ago I had not focused very much on my diet in the last two months I have lost a suprising amout of weight and have seen a huge effect in my performance and physical confidence. It started with my gymnastics training were all of sudden tricks that I had worked hard on and failed to achieve simple came seemingly overnight and in the last few weeks I feel its showing up in my parkour to, nothing so easy to pinpoint as learning a new skill but just on overall feeling of confidence and ability to do stuff I simple couldn't before and to innovate.

So think about your motivation as M2 said and David before him. Think about, were your training what your training, what else your doing in your life that you can change to reinvigorate yourself.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 07:23:13 PM »
other THAN you can't spell?
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 12:31:24 PM »
I want to really train to but I rarely can not because of work or work or eating or sleeping just because my dad won't drive me downtown once a week.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline shiroboi

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 04:47:59 AM »
Titan, you don't have to go downtown to train.  I train alone in the suburbs around my house.  You can always run where there is sidewalk.  There are trees and railings everywhere, just look around.

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 07:08:52 AM »
The only thing that I have around my house is a wall. A wall that would tear your shoes apart if you tried. I know what railings you're talking about but there are none by my house.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Fenrir Unleashed

• Patas
  • Blacker than the blackest black... times infinity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 08:40:11 AM »
The only thing that I have around my house is a wall. A wall that would tear your shoes apart if you tried. I know what railings you're talking about but there are none by my house.

Titan.... I live in the ass-crack of Brandon down by the Alafia river. There is nothing around me either... which is why I practice my vaults on a shakey chainlink fence, my drops from a fairly high treebranch and my flow in a little-kids park up the road. I know we call ourselves "Urban" Velocity but Parkour doesn't have to be strictly urban. Practice Tic-Tacks and climbing on trees. Also look into a little training program called Plyometrics. It has alot of repetitive movement excercises that mirror movements in Parkour, and the only equipment you would need to get is a medicine ball. I also suggest you try to climb on the roof of your house using only the surrounding environment, it's good mental training.

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 08:47:26 AM »
When I go to my grandmothers I practice my balance and I can get on the roof and I practice landing but most of the time I'm at home and there seriously nothing the only thing really is the green transformer which is like a box outside my house and I practice Kongs, but other than that NOTHING, well I guess you could count my Camaro but that is normally at work because my mom drives it and you really can't get on the top of my house it is 2 story and I'd rather not take the risk.