Author Topic: Jumping?  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Hybernianous

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Jumping?
« on: May 24, 2006, 09:55:30 AM »
Somewhere in my frenetic websurfing of Parkour I came across a workout designed specifically to improve jumping height/distance.  If memory serves me it was a basketball program.  Any info along these lines?

Gearsighted

Re: Jumping?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 11:45:20 AM »
It's called Air Alert III. According to the info that you'll find on the sites on which it's posted, it works pretty good. Personally I always felt you could get better results with a mix of heavy lifting and lower-reps in more powerful plyometrics as opposed to the huge volume that the program calls for towards the end. This seems to me to be more along the lines of strength and power-endurance (both important, don't get me wrong) rather than pure jumping power.

Offline Bubblemaker

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 11:35:47 PM »
Some people claim it's bad for your joints.

Offline Hybernianous

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 09:02:08 AM »
Thanks for the info Gear.

"Some people claim it's bad for your joints."

That has been the claim in some of the reviews, sounds like maybe its a program designed for pro athletes already in extreme condition.   I was just looking for ideas along these lines, between Gear's suggestions, Woody's WOD on Wednesday 5-24-06, and the Air Alert program I think I can come up with something that works for me. 

Thanks all

Sean

Gearsighted

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 11:32:23 AM »
Just so you know, I am also Jesse Woody...it's funny how I publish on the main site as my real name, but then get to post in the WOD comments as my internet pseudonym :p

I would suggest building your jumping ability in this way:

1. Proper biomechanics- good form on the basics of the movements. This means a perfect squat, lunge etc. This assures a good base to build everything else from

2. A good base of strength- If you have access to weights, then you can get way ahead here. When the Bulgarians were using plymetrics for their Olympic track and weightlifting athletes in the 70's they suggested that you should posess a 2x bodyweight squat before starting. While this may be a bit more than necessary, the idea is sound. Even the most basic plyometric exercises expose your connective tissues to an extreme amount of force, and to top it off, these tissues strengthen slower than muscles, so you can be strong enough to really hurt yourself over time. I would suggest being comfortable with relatively heavy squats (at least 1.5x bodyweight) before jumping *pun* too far into a plyo program.

3. Slowly incorporating plyometrics into your program- I would start with some basics that are lower-impact such as box-jumps with a regular step off of the box, some small reactive jumps (stand on a step, hop backwards slightly towards the ground, as soon as your feet hit immediately explode back up via-calf muscle power) and jump squats. Perform them at relatively low reps with ample rest. This allows you to put 100% power into each movement which will ensure proper development of explosive traits within your muscles. Stop WAY before failure, as both strength and power are motor skills which are best trained when fresh. When I feature high-rep power-movements in the WOD, it's for the sake of these movement's ability to elicit a powerful conditioning response and to develop the power-endurance and stamina that is often required for Parkour. This IS NOT the best way to improve limit power if that is your main goal.

Stay at a relatively easy level for longer than you think you should. This will allow you to build up the tendon and ligament strength over time to handle the higher-impact movements and ensure injury-free training.

Offline Hybernianous

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 11:48:10 AM »
Great info, Thanks!

Offline Mikey11

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 12:28:29 PM »
Thats really helpfull because i seem to jump alot more horizontally, than vertically, so i need a good leg workout to lift my upperbody more to get more distance than just jumping outward and falling like a stiff log ::) lol
Doesn't matter if you got it on the first try, it matters if you can do it again, and again, and again..........

Offline Mikey11

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 12:30:51 PM »
Oh and can i get a little more info on the jumping technigue workout? or whereyou got it from, or a short discription or something?
Doesn't matter if you got it on the first try, it matters if you can do it again, and again, and again..........

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 05:56:17 PM »
lol mike you are sooo stiff it looks like you stop in mid air, how do you freaking do that? omg it's creapy.
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston