Author Topic: Parkour park  (Read 16682 times)

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
Re: Parkour park
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2006, 06:17:45 PM »
they're called obstacle courses guys, and they exist.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2006, 07:15:29 PM »
you could easily have a PK park without competition's... Just build the park with lot's of wall's, rail's and other thing's that you could practise common PK movements on, and let traceur's in. You would have a place where you can perfect a wide variety of skills, you would't get kicked out and there is "tainting" of Parkour.
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2006, 07:18:36 PM »
Yeah what Johnny Boy said.

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2006, 09:55:34 PM »
LOL oh man... I like what Jesse Danger Disaster  said hehe.  ITs true guys...just remember what parkour stands for.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline ERI1044

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2006, 10:21:28 PM »
"the best parkour park is a gate that leads to the outside"
breathing isn't parkour!! HA, YOU CAN'T BREATH!

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2006, 11:09:38 PM »
I would like to think of a new name for parkour that we can use when we are talking about competitions and stuff like that so the parkour discipline isn't trashed.

there are already activities like that. 3run, freerun, freestyle parkour, yamakazi, tricking. All are similair to parkour movements but the philosophy is different. A park for any one of these things would be really nice to train for parkour, even if it is meant for 3run or something it would still have the same architecture that would be enjoyed by traceurs.

"the best parkour park is a gate that leads to the outside"

true, but a pk park wouldnt be made to replace the "outside world", but to train for the "outside world" instead.

Offline Olloth Kenson

• Guenons
  • 1:52 away from Hell says mapquest
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2006, 07:07:46 AM »
I think the best solution, would be to not have obstacles or runs or anything specifically set up. Just take common things like handicap ramps with railings and walls and stuff like that, stuff that doesn't seem to have any real purpose. Then, that would be closer to true parkour, and still give people somewhere to train where they won't get kicked off or closer to their home. Don't give it any name, don't advertise about it. Just raise funds somehow, build it, and go there. If someone walks by and asks what it is, explain it to them, and then if they stay, you can teach them the philosophy and possibly have another traceur on your hands.

That would prevent the "Well people will abuse true parkour." Just don't make it popular. Have it there, and thats it.
Tricks aren't parkour but I'm not always faithful.

Offline Jereme Sanders

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2006, 08:27:23 AM »
that actually is a really good idea....kinda like street art you can train on...
"People may forget what you've done, or said, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

The Best part of Falling Down is Getting Back Up...

Offline DistortedTruth

• Patas
  • The wannabe admin...and the lovable posting whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2006, 10:44:10 AM »
I think the best solution, would be to not have obstacles or runs or anything specifically set up. Just take common things like handicap ramps with railings and walls and stuff like that, stuff that doesn't seem to have any real purpose. Then, that would be closer to true parkour, and still give people somewhere to train where they won't get kicked off or closer to their home. Don't give it any name, don't advertise about it. Just raise funds somehow, build it, and go there. If someone walks by and asks what it is, explain it to them, and then if they stay, you can teach them the philosophy and possibly have another traceur on your hands.

That would prevent the "Well people will abuse true parkour." Just don't make it popular. Have it there, and thats it.

Thats probably the best idea.  Nice one.
The world is our playground.  PK.
-Nick

Offline Daniel Faulkner

• Guenons
  • pierced one
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2006, 10:52:21 AM »
I feel that this situation has been blown out of proportion.  Buiild a parkour park. Call it a parkour park.  Let it be a place to train movements. Let it be filled with the kind of architecture we like. Then go and train on it.

I will relate this to skateboarding.  Street skaters will go to a park and skate.  They will learn movements and just go there to hang with other skaters and skate.  They also go to the streets to skate as well.  The park is just all the right obstacles that a skater is looking for jammed in a closer area.

Use the same idea for a PK park.  If someone comes by tell them you are doing parkour.  Or better yet let it get known that its a pakour park and people that see you practicing will assume you are doing parkour.  If someone is interested you can teach them the difference between freerunning and parkour then.
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Not all who wander are lost. J.R. Tolkien

Offline Nom

• Mangabey
  • NOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2006, 11:42:47 AM »
With a park I'd be worried that saftey ordinances would be instilled, like making people wear helmets and whatnot. Unless it was privately owned, then maybe it wouldn't be a problem, but it would be hard to insure a place like that.
------------------
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Springfield MO Weekly Session

Offline DistortedTruth

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2006, 11:51:24 AM »
Nom, you are right.  Only way they wouldnt install safety rules, it would have to be privately owned and the owner would have to agree to no safety rules.
-Nick

Offline Daniel Faulkner

• Guenons
  • pierced one
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2006, 11:57:53 AM »
I privately owned park would need signs saying practice at your own risk and generally you would have to sign waviers.

But there is a loop hole type scenario.  A few years back I was apart of a commitiee to have a skatepark built in my small town.  After it was built there were a set a rules posted.  IN these rules there were no bikes allowed and you must wear saftey gear.  But there is no one there to enforce the rules.  So we generally dont wear pads and I have several bmx friends that attend the park.  Everyone once and awhile a dick cop would come and kick the bmxers out.  Thats about it.

Offline DistortedTruth

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2006, 12:01:06 PM »
Hmmm...I say we form a nationwide committee.  Lets do it! :D.  Hey, it might work.  You know what would be AMAZING?  Get EVERYONE in the US that does Parkour together at the SAME time...have a GIANT jam in a huge city.  That would definitely get noticed by the media.  We could all say we wanted a PK Park in our local city/state/area/w/e, and maybe the local governments would listen because for one...media influences lots of things...2...ill tell u when i think of it.
-Nick

Offline Daniel Faulkner

• Guenons
  • pierced one
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2006, 12:11:43 PM »
go to the PKUSA jam.

Offline DistortedTruth

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2006, 12:12:39 PM »
Its in NYC, my rents are anal about meeting people from online, and id never be able to get there as im only 15.
-Nick

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2006, 12:36:31 PM »
Same here except im 16. That's why they would come with me to any jam or group. They said if they like it i could go by myself.
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline Daniel Faulkner

• Guenons
  • pierced one
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2006, 12:40:19 PM »
jmann bring your folks to a txpk jam

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2006, 01:14:32 PM »
I already am lol. my dad. I just dont want anyone to do anything really dumb so he doesnt let me go.
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline Nom

• Mangabey
  • NOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2006, 01:21:50 PM »
meeting people from online is dangerous so it's not like your parents are crazy, but I'd say people from apk are generally alright.
------------------
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Springfield MO Weekly Session