Author Topic: Parkour park  (Read 17520 times)

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Parkour park
« on: June 07, 2006, 06:56:16 PM »
I have been thinking for a while and it came to me the other day how cool would it be if there was a parkour park like theres a skate park for skaters? Since then i have come up ust to give you and idea i will tell you about one of the courses i was thinking of. My idea for the ground wouldnt be concrete or dirt but that plasticy stuff they stick under kids playground equptment now a-days.

The course would be rectangular in shape, It would be the speed course about 50-100 Meters long or so (Like track if i must say) and it would have walls bars and all sorts of stuff varied through out it. Now like a ski resort there will be the bunny slope the medium slope the hard slope and the double black diamod slope. The objective would be to try and beat the fastest time in the whole course.

Then there would be the square or odd shaped course where there were many obstacles placed throughout the whole area like a skate park would be set up.  One section would have a lead off into another section.

What i would like you to do is take pictures or Rail sytems like in front of big buildings or stuff such as handi-cap ramps. Anything else you can take a picture of will give me more ideas to build off of, and if you have anything to add to this just tell me and i will latch on to the new idea and integrate it into my idea for a parkour park and make a rough sketch of one and post it.
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
Re: Parkour park
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 07:05:14 PM »
Hey man. Your idea sounds pretty cool, although i have talked about that on threads a lot, and i would definitely enjoy a "pk park." The only thing that i have wrong with it is the, "beat the coarse time record." If you have that then it would be making parkour competetive, which makes it not parkour. It would make it a sport. So, I love your idea, i would just leave out the whole beat the record thing. ;)

psycosis12

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 07:18:35 PM »
haha me and some other friends were talking about this the other day....or last week or something, not as descriptive as that but the beginner intermiediate and advance, like the idea though, we should do something about it...

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:39:57 PM »
Oh...do you mean Cat Fountain in downtown Denver? :)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 08:44:23 PM by Demon »

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 08:48:16 PM »
thats exactly what i was thinking demon.

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 08:56:54 PM »
I was actually very close to this a while back and then the people pulled out on me.  It was going to be skatepark-parkour park.  It was goign to be amazing.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 09:19:39 PM »
Wow that looks pretty cool, Do people ever get onto you for doing PK there?

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 07:38:45 AM »
I heard that pk awas officially recognized as a sport so thats why i included the track record. Also with that cat block thingy it would be really cool to have modern art worked into a pk park. It would be a good looking pk park. Godd input to all.

Offline Nom

• Mangabey
  • NOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 01:46:05 PM »
that fountain looks a lot like Founder's Park  just look at the stuff behind me :P
------------------
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Springfield MO Weekly Session

Offline DistortedTruth

• Patas
  • The wannabe admin...and the lovable posting whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 01:56:09 PM »
Demon, that place looks awesome.  jmann -  the whole pk park idea is pretty awesome.  I was actually thinking about that yesterday and the day before.  Just kinda' wondering if we'll ever get one, like skaters or something.  I think that in order for a local area or state to build one, it has to be popular in the area (for profit), and Parkour needs to be recognized as a sport.  The name needs to be out there more.  People need to see what we do and more people need to be doing Parkour I think in order for anything to be done.

Just my two cents...

EDIT:  Also, IMO, I dont think a "PK Park" would represent Parkour very well.  People may start to think we're like skaters that disobey the law and that we're just a bunch of lawbreaking kids or something.  If I've read correctly, isnt the whole point of Parkour to gather as many ways around obstacles in the city as possible?  Its not just contained to a park.  Its an art.  Expressing yourself.  How you see the world.  A park would restrict you in that way I guess.  But I mean, if people dont have anywhere to do Parkour near them and a park is close, then, yeah...its a good idea.  Actually, its a good idea in general...lol.

Just my other two cents...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 02:00:18 PM by DistortedTruth »
The world is our playground.  PK.
-Nick

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 02:51:54 PM »
Well i do thhink that parks will eventually pop up i mean look what pawa said. http://www.texasparkour.com/Coachcard.gif They said these people are the most qulified coaches! So that says to me gear up for some serious parkour. Or freerunning and such. But just get out there try and get sponsored. I mean hell it's worth a try what do you have to lose.

Offline DistortedTruth

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 02:54:58 PM »
Sponsored?  I had no idea PK was about getting sponsored...hm.  Oh well.  Well, if you say to get ready for some parks, I'll get ready!  One around here would be nice...
-Nick

Offline Jereme Sanders

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 03:00:16 PM »
I was thinking about it and at first I thought it would be cool.....But after thinking it through...we already have the best parkour park we could ever want....Earth.......we need nothing else...
"People may forget what you've done, or said, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

The Best part of Falling Down is Getting Back Up...

Offline DistortedTruth

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 03:06:01 PM »
I was thinking about it and at first I thought it would be cool.....But after thinking it through...we already have the best parkour park we could ever want....Earth.......we need nothing else...

w00t.  Well said.  But still, its not a bad idea.  If people live out in rural areas and cant get to a place to train, and a park is closer than the nearest place to do PK, then by all means...build the park.
-Nick

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 03:07:46 PM »
I think that in order for a local area or state to build one, it has to be popular in the area (for profit), and Parkour needs to be recognized as a sport.

I dont know about that. It doesnt have to be recognized as a sport. I mean, if there are enought people practicing it, then i think they would put one up. I dont think they are going to say, "we cant make a pk park because its not a sport." Even if we let it be recognized by a sport then pk would never be the same. In fact, it wouldnt even be pk, because pk is not a sport. I think if we let it be recodnized as a sport then eventually we could have another civil war on our hands. Think about it, if you find out about pk by going to a pk park and they are all competing for the best time then you are going to leave there thinking pk is a sport and we'll have a whole lot of "noobs", for lack of a better term, and even other people saying pk is a sport.

just what i think.

Offline DistortedTruth

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 03:23:05 PM »
I think that in order for a local area or state to build one, it has to be popular in the area (for profit), and Parkour needs to be recognized as a sport.

I dont know about that. It doesnt have to be recognized as a sport. I mean, if there are enought people practicing it, then i think they would put one up. I dont think they are going to say, "we cant make a pk park because its not a sport." Even if we let it be recognized by a sport then pk would never be the same. In fact, it wouldnt even be pk, because pk is not a sport. I think if we let it be recodnized as a sport then eventually we could have another civil war on our hands. Think about it, if you find out about pk by going to a pk park and they are all competing for the best time then you are going to leave there thinking pk is a sport and we'll have a whole lot of "noobs", for lack of a better term, and even other people saying pk is a sport.

just what i think.

You do have a point.  I was thinking about that after what I posted.  I think that if you did call it a sport, Parkour wouldnt be the same.  Parkour is not a sport, and you got me there.  You do have a point.  Lol, you guys keep changing my mind...maybe a PK Park isnt the best thing.  I dont know, I have mixed feelings I guess.
-Nick

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 03:48:21 PM »
There are a few of them in France.  There's a lot of contraveries with PK parks/gyms, but I personalyl like the idea.  It isn't detrimental to Parkour, I don't think.  It's just a centralized place where we can train, y'know?
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline DistortedTruth

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 03:51:43 PM »
You are right Animus, but think about all the newcomers that will come and wont take the time to research Parkour for what it really is.  Thats why some of us have doubts.
-Nick

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 04:12:37 PM »
Well, I like the idea, i just wanted to comment about the whole sport thing. If we could just get the idea right off the bat on what parkour was...

Offline DistortedTruth

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 04:14:05 PM »
I wish there was a way to tell people what Parkour is and isnt.  But sadly, that isnt possible.  You're not going to be able to tell everyone what it is and isnt.  Peope will believe what they want to believe.
-Nick