Author Topic: "Best" videos of a year, not exactly true.  (Read 2378 times)

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
"Best" videos of a year, not exactly true.
« on: March 24, 2009, 09:42:51 AM »
I appreciate videos spreading pk and fr, but to call a video the "best" of a year...this video is lacking "best" footage from 3 countries that have traceurs/traceuses and freerunners from: Australia, Japan, and Denmark. (just off the top of my head)

I feel more extensive research should be spent on watching worldwide videos rather than from just popular people.

This is a very nice compilation, but "best" is used too much now-a-days.

(my comment posted on this youtube video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG2p8cMzmPc&feature=related

What do you think?

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
Re: "Best" videos of a year, not exactly true.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 11:04:30 AM »
Kid really likes Danny Ilabaca. Not that I disagree, he's one of my favorites, but there's no such thing as the best parkour video, because there's no such thing as the best traceur, or the best move, or the best anything.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Ronster82

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Shalvis Myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:56:16 AM »
Yeah I saw that, and I definitely didn't think it demonstrated "the best". That's the problem though, using the term "the best" with a discipline like parkour and free running, where competition of any sort is mostly discouraged, and there's really only been a couple competitions makes it hard to actually say that something is the best. "The best" is solely based on the person's opinion who made the video.

Though it made me feel good when I saw footage of me in there. ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 11:58:04 AM by Ronster82 »

Offline David Boyle

• Patas
  • 5-10 - 185
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 11:56:54 AM »
I agree w/ that statement.  Many guys can perform tremendous acts of skill.  I'm blown away everyday by what I see on here.  

However w/ that being said, I believe the fundamentals and simple things are what is most important....and nine times out of ten is what your going to use when the (,,,,) hits the fan.

It is cool to flip, trick, and do all the crazy freerunning techniques...cause that what it is free.  Freedom of expression.  Just like a martial artist doing some fancy kata or something like that.  Its flashy, showy, and very eye catching....

however would he do that in a confrontation?

We know the answer to that.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:04:45 PM »
I agree w/ that statement.  Many guys can perform tremendous acts of skill.  I'm blown away everyday by what I see on here.  

However w/ that being said, I believe the fundamentals and simple things are what is most important....and nine times out of ten is what your going to use when the (,,,,) hits the fan.

It is cool to flip, trick, and do all the crazy freerunning techniques...cause that what it is free.  Freedom of expression.  Just like a martial artist doing some fancy kata or something like that.  Its flashy, showy, and very eye catching....

WTF is your point? 

Offline David Boyle

• Patas
  • 5-10 - 185
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 03:21:20 PM »

WTF is your point? 

No point.  Just speaking my mind....

You think I don't know what (WTF) is/means....would you say that to someone to their face?

Next time be a man and just flat out and say it.

People will respect you more...trust me.

Really now....are you that simple minded to not understand my post?

Pretty cut and dry if you ask me.

I read your sig on your profie...

"don't think with your balls...think with your brain"

Perhaps do that now.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 03:32:22 PM by David Boyle »

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 04:38:31 PM »
Three cheers for interwebz communication.

Hip hip.....

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 04:48:14 PM »
HOORAY!! lol sorry had to do that... i enjoyed, very eye catching. Nothing is ever the best though, all an opinion.
Wisconsin Parkour

Your friendly neighborhood Techno-head.

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 07:57:05 PM »
"Face Palm" hahahaha.

Ok I like what I am hearing! Thanks for replying.
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't off the mark here.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 10:35:18 PM »

WTF is your point? 

You think I don't know what (WTF) is/means....would you say that to someone to their face?

Perhaps do that now.

Why would you even bring in the whole "would he do that in a confrontation" it just seems like your putting down freerunning or something.  I didn't type out WTF because I was too lazy and it is censored if you type out f#ck.  I'm surprised you would even call me out on that since you used "what your going to use when the (,,,,) hits the fan."  Would you use that in real life?

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 04:35:16 AM »
Our lovable, but very outspoken Sat Santokh v. the military traceur, David Boyle

WHO WILL WIN?

Taking all bets! Odds starting 1:1.

[WTF]
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 04:46:48 AM »

WTF is your point? 

Perhaps do that now.

Why would you even bring in the whole "would he do that in a confrontation" it just seems like your putting down freerunning or something.  I didn't type out WTF because I was too lazy and it is censored if you type out f#ck.  I'm surprised you would even call me out on that since you used "what your going to use when the (,,,,) hits the fan."  Would you use that in real life?

ok, you oviously wouldnt say WTF(just saying the letters). you say it out, but in this case when he says "what your going to use when the (,,,,) hits the fan." thats probably a saying he uses all the time. and the sentence "would he do that in a confrontation" is probably true. if he was in a situation where he needed to use parkour, my guess is he definitely would not do any fancy flips or tricks. I saw no intention in his post to put down freerunning in any way. thats just my 2 cents, please stop fighting over little things, everyone has their opinion, and you may not like it, thats how life is.
Wisconsin Parkour

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline David Boyle

• Patas
  • 5-10 - 185
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 06:17:37 AM »
No winners or losers on this one...

I call a truce... :)

Rubber duckies always float and silk is always smooth... ;)

But in no way was I putting down FreeRunning. 

Freerunning is a great expression of movement and art.  I would be dumb to insult that.

Sat...nothing personal.  If I offended/pissed you off....my bad man.

I do have a habit of doing that.  My wife tells me all the time. ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 06:27:05 AM by David Boyle »

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 09:03:04 AM »
deal, I'm sorry too, I'm just so sick of hearing people say parkour is "better" because its useful or some bullshit like that. 

WTF is your point? 

Perhaps do that now.

ok, you oviously wouldnt say WTF(just saying the letters). you say it out, but in this case when he says "what your going to use when the (,,,,) hits the fan." thats probably a saying he uses all the time. and the sentence "would he do that in a confrontation" is probably true. if he was in a situation where he needed to use parkour, my guess is he definitely would not do any fancy flips or tricks. I saw no intention in his post to put down freerunning in any way. thats just my 2 cents, please stop fighting over little things, everyone has their opinion, and you may not like it, thats how life is.

The point about would he do it in a real confrontation is valid, just not relevant to the topic.  Wouldn't it be annoying if people said that about every freerunning video?  Or what if on every (very small amount) of good strict parkour videos people started saying oh yeah good job but it doesn't look cool.  It's not the point of the two things, so why bring it up?

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 03:34:39 PM »
ok, my fault, i didnt see that, thankyou for letting me see your way, so that i may understand both sides, i apoligize
Wisconsin Parkour

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 09:13:55 AM »
Me too, sorry that i came off harsh

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 09:56:14 AM »
come on guys,

THIS is obviously the best parkour video ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_txaXHJpkms
 8)

the floor is lavA!

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 04:04:13 PM »
watched it. *shudders*