Author Topic: Fight or Flight?  (Read 14291 times)

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
Re: Fight or Flight?
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2009, 04:46:06 PM »
Hmm... I think I've made a new quote. "Take not a road paved in gold to the Underworld when there beside it is a dirt path to Olympus."  :P

im yanking your quote

just to let you know

Feel free to. I'll just have my boys Vinny and Tony pick up the royalties sometime soon, eh? *godfather laugh*
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour: my anti-drug
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2009, 05:01:42 PM »
Hmm... I think I've made a new quote. "Take not a road paved in gold to the Underworld when there beside it is a dirt path to Olympus."  :P

im yanking your quote

just to let you know

Feel free to. I'll just have my boys Vinny and Tony pick up the royalties sometime soon, eh? *godfather laugh*

hah, nice...
is that really something you came up with? its quite.... philosophical of you, lol
"Though all the world may hate us, we are named.
The shadow overtake us, we are known
We're more than carbon and chemicals
Free will is ours and we can't let go
We are the image of the invisible"
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2009, 05:20:43 PM »
To follow up on this, I have a story.

Friday night I was at a Dinosaurs of Punk Rock Show (Fang, Verbal Abuse, Capitalist Casualties... all bands from the early 80's), and having a great time in the pit.  As happens often, some young kid was dancing in an overly aggressive fashion.  In punk rock mosh pits, we dance, we don't run into each other like football practice as happens at some other shows (my friends and I call that "bro-moshing").  This kid's throwing elbows, targeting people, and being generally rude.  After awhile I was about ready to snap.

Instead, he snapped first.  At the end of a song, he turned around and sucker punched me in the stomach.  It was the kind of thing, where it could have been an accident: it's possible he was turning around and his hand swung... at least, I hope he'd hit harder than that if he was trying.  At first, I started to react.  Rage welled within, my hands made fists that rose up and my muscles tensed.  Then, I realized a couple things:

1) I'm old enough to know better.  This kid's a kid.  Somewhere in that age range of 16-22... it's harder to place exactly where people fall in that range as I get older.  Anyway, he's a kid.  He's a drunk kid.  He's angry and wants to prove something.  
2) I don't have to try it out first hand to know that I dislike jail.

So instead of leaning in with a vicious elbow, I grabbed his shoulder and screamed at him to "calm the f#ck down."  

That was when he danced at me.

This story would be epic if we then had a dance battle in the middle of 924 Gilman Street.  My ballet skills would put him to shame, surely.  Unfortunately, there was no dance battling.  He was trying to call me out and rile me up.

So I just watched to band play.

The kid continued to harass other people.  Lots of other people.  Including a younger friend of mine right next to me.  My friend eventually pushed the kid across the pit and plowed right into the group of very large Latino gentlemen from So Cal covered in prison ink, the same group of gentlemen who had been pointing at our beloved little troublemaker and dragging fingers across their throats.  At this point the gentlemen from Whittier, and my young friend, explained to this kid the overwhelming logic against him continuing to be such a d-bag.

The kid didn't get in the pit again all night.

Point?

I don't need to prove a thing, especially to a drunk kid that's looking for chaos in his life.  Peace is my quest.  I'll defend myself if, and only if, it becomes necessary.  Until then, I'll talk it out, walk away or just ignore the idiots that are out there in this world.  It's not worth the risk.  Look at that kid.  He was picking a fight with me: an average to small sized (5'9" 165 lbs) innocuous looking dude.  He almost got beat down by a group of some seriously scary dudes.

There are always unintended consequences to our actions.  With violence you never know the scale of those consequence until they occur.

Peace everyone.

Offline Joshua Winzer-Irwin

• Patas
  • you say no to drugs? i say no to gravity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2009, 05:32:51 PM »
There are always unintended consequences to our actions.  With violence you never know the scale of those consequence until they occur.

Peace everyone.

+1

Offline Mike Patella

• Mangabey
  • Towson, Maryland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2009, 05:51:50 PM »
There are always unintended consequences to our actions.  With violence you never know the scale of those consequence until they occur.

Peace everyone.
[applaud]

Offline Kenneth Hedervare

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I am Wuhlfehn. (Wolfen)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2009, 05:59:10 PM »
Well said, Beretta. Well said.
My point is, while the path others have taken may help you find your own, it will still be your own path.  Only you can find it, only your feet can take the right steps.
Be at peace, my friend.

~Wuhlfehn.

Offline RandJordan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »
Nice post man. Great stuff you're putting up on these boards. Some kid came to my school one day after Vans Warped tour last year and apparently got to crazy and the people he messed with weren't as rational as you. Rationality is a key to success :)

Be quick to hear. Slow to speak. Slow to act.

Those are some of the words I am trying to live by myself.

Offline P.R. Stuart

• Guenons
  • An All-American Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2009, 10:44:48 PM »
Here's a point of view I haven't seen here yet:  What about any women observing?  If some punk is being a jerk to you, and you just keep cool but stand firm, take some hits if you need to, chicks will really dig it (most of the time), just don't be a wimp about it.  Stand strong.
I decided not to put something deep here.  I'm in this for the physical aspect, the mental and spiritual are my own.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2009, 12:30:03 AM »
Here's a point of view I haven't seen here yet:  What about any women observing?  If some punk is being a jerk to you, and you just keep cool but stand firm, take some hits if you need to, chicks will really dig it (most of the time), just don't be a wimp about it.  Stand strong.

thats completely out of focus. youre NOT doing this to impress people. and i know plenty of women who would call me down-right stupid if they even thought that i was doing that for them to notice me more.

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2009, 11:09:10 AM »

thats completely out of focus. youre NOT doing this to impress people. and i know plenty of women who would call me down-right stupid if they even thought that i was doing that for them to notice me more.

Exactly; this kind of chauvinism and lack of humility and compassion is one of the biggest problems of the prototypically American mindset.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2009, 01:46:16 PM »

Exactly; this kind of chauvinism and lack of humility and compassion is one of the biggest problems of the prototypically American mindset.

indubitably
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline David Lee

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2009, 02:54:22 PM »

indubitably
Invention, my dear friends, is ninety-three percent perspiration, six percent electricity, four percent evaporation, and two percent butterscotch ripple.

Offline P.R. Stuart

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2009, 09:33:48 PM »

I apologize, I thought it clear that this was a joke, but I suppose not.  My bad.
I decided not to put something deep here.  I'm in this for the physical aspect, the mental and spiritual are my own.

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2009, 06:18:51 PM »

I apologize, I thought it clear that this was a joke, but I suppose not.  My bad.

Indubitably
–adjective
that cannot be doubted; patently evident or certain; unquestionable.

we werent chastising you or anything
no worries dude
lol
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline David Lee

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2009, 02:51:47 PM »

Indubitably
–adjective
that cannot be doubted; patently evident or certain; unquestionable.

we werent chastising you or anything
no worries dude
lol

I was.  :-Sarcasm 

not really
Invention, my dear friends, is ninety-three percent perspiration, six percent electricity, four percent evaporation, and two percent butterscotch ripple.

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2009, 03:16:01 PM »
I was chastising you. It really didn't sound like a joke, especially considering the fact that you're fairly new on these forums and we don't know your humor. And the info you have under your name.

Offline P.R. Stuart

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2009, 10:35:49 PM »
I was chastising you. It really didn't sound like a joke, especially considering the fact that you're fairly new on these forums and we don't know your humor. And the info you have under your name.

Info under my name?  What are you referring to?

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2009, 10:45:37 PM »

prbly your number of quotes, your applauds/smites, etc

because you are new to the forums, as is said by your number of posts, we dont know you. most of us you see on here all the time, and you get used to one's points of view, one's humor and so on.

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2009, 02:22:09 PM »

prbly your number of quotes, your applauds/smites, etc

because you are new to the forums, as is said by your number of posts, we dont know you. most of us you see on here all the time, and you get used to one's points of view, one's humor and so on.

it could be hes the american patriot from japan too
lmao, jk
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2009, 04:01:17 PM »
Yeah, it was the, "An All-American Patriot" part. Sounds pretty chauvinistic if you don't know the person, just like the other comment. Anyway, no harm no foul.