Author Topic: Concealed Carry while exercising Parkour?  (Read 7285 times)

Offline P.R. Stuart

• Guenons
  • An All-American Patriot
    • View Profile
Re: Concealed Carry while exercising Parkour?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 09:46:08 PM »
Nice eye Spencer, but it's simple - Okinawa is a HUGE Military center.  My dad's in the Navy, I'm going to join a service when I'm older.  That's why a 15 year old is asking - Planning for the future. 

BTW, I can tell that I'm gonna like this board.  No flaming in a gun topic? Epic internet win there.
I decided not to put something deep here.  I'm in this for the physical aspect, the mental and spiritual are my own.

MeKa360

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 04:21:25 AM »
im not talking about throwig knives i mean a regular knife

*click*   

Offline Manual_automation

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 08:47:37 AM »
If you're going to carry a 1911 and it isn't a compact a shoulder/armpit holster is the way to go, you could use a drop-leg platform holster, but a 1911 is a long framed gun and it would get under you unless you were paying close attention. you can't put it on your belt, end of story, it's much too big and would jab you in the side, not to mention the issue of pulling the thing out, your elbow would be in your chin before the thing cleared the holster. Now, you could get another gun, or a compact, but then you'd just be making the profile smaller and not doing much else. (A .380 under your arm would be nice IMO) pretty much any kind of leg, back, waist, foot holster is out of the question for serious runs. Get a padded shoulder holster with a good cross back rig to hold it on, and lower the position of the gun a bit, that should work. You will, however, still bump the holster with your arm and it will be a little uncomfortable while rolling and such. As for accidental discharge, don't fall flat. You can just carry a folding knife with you, and as far as laws and comfort it would be better, but it does not give the stand off distance and the intimidation factor you might be looking for.

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour: my anti-drug
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 10:53:40 AM »
well, this is at everyone arguing about knives not being good in a fight because of lack of training....

im going to guess 98% of the time youre walking on down the road you arent gonna meet up with some guy who wants to rob you, and has the skills of V with a knife (V from V For Vendetta). chances are you got some guy who has a knife, knows how to stab, and how to slash, which, anyone can do, doesnt take training to move down, up, or sideways with a knife in your hands. for self defense purposes, simply knowing where to hit is really all that matters, you dont wanna kill the person in fear of being sued so you might wanna go down and slash their achilles, its mean, but its effective, and you can play that as self defense anytime.

sure, having a lot of knowledge on knife fighting could help, but its not necessary. and seeing as weve had knives since the cave-man times i think we can instinctively take someone out with one......

i really think you guys are thinking the worst situations, because im thinking theres prolly only about a 1 in 8000 chance that a virtuoso with knives is gonna be robbing you (or fighting you or whatever the case)

and even then, hed be able to get what he wants before you have time to pull the gun seeing as hell most likely use surprise.

as a side note kinda unrelated to the first part of this post, i suggested knives simply because theyre MY weapon of choice, im a collector, i have around 50 knives, two swords, and a mace :)
"Though all the world may hate us, we are named.
The shadow overtake us, we are known
We're more than carbon and chemicals
Free will is ours and we can't let go
We are the image of the invisible"
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline Manual_automation

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 12:19:35 PM »
I'm sorry if this comes off rude, but this is all i have to say to that.

first off, the OP asked about how to and if it was possible to carry a gun while doing parkour, specifically a 1911 .45. He probably couldn't care less about what you like to carry.
Also, If you would like to try and mug someone with a knife and they have a gun, be my guest, but i sure as hell would think twice. Not to mention the guy mugging you might have a gun (I'd carry a gun over a knife for something like that.)
And finally, knives, swords, mid evil weapons, etc... are all weapons of necessity or romance in MOST cases. You seem to play them up a bit more than they deserve. If you have ever been in a fight with a knife you will know what i mean, you-wish-you-had-a-gun. Carrying a knife is not something you do because it's such a super weapon, you do it because you are too young to own a gun, a gun is too troublesome where you are, or you don't know what you're doing and are unlikely to need it in the first place.

anyway, the point is, a holster for a gun is what the OP wanted to know about, NOT a bit of metal with a beveled edge.

(I do like knives as a backup weapon by the way, i love to use them as tools and own near 20, but they are not the same as a pistol unless you are close, and trained to use them)

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 03:13:24 PM »
I'm sorry if this comes off rude, but this is all i have to say to that.

first off, the OP asked about how to and if it was possible to carry a gun while doing parkour, specifically a 1911 .45. He probably couldn't care less about what you like to carry.
Also, If you would like to try and mug someone with a knife and they have a gun, be my guest, but i sure as hell would think twice. Not to mention the guy mugging you might have a gun (I'd carry a gun over a knife for something like that.)
And finally, knives, swords, mid evil weapons, etc... are all weapons of necessity or romance in MOST cases. You seem to play them up a bit more than they deserve. If you have ever been in a fight with a knife you will know what i mean, you-wish-you-had-a-gun. Carrying a knife is not something you do because it's such a super weapon, you do it because you are too young to own a gun, a gun is too troublesome where you are, or you don't know what you're doing and are unlikely to need it in the first place.

anyway, the point is, a holster for a gun is what the OP wanted to know about, NOT a bit of metal with a beveled edge.

(I do like knives as a backup weapon by the way, i love to use them as tools and own near 20, but they are not the same as a pistol unless you are close, and trained to use them)

i guess me owning two shotguns, two .22 rifles, and a .22 pistol is gonna throw your post off a bit, and i said nothing about mugging someone :/

my idea was that he was asking about carrying that in use for self defense, and i think i knife would suffice quite fine for that, unless, of course, like you said, they have a gun. but in that case, if they have a gun pointed at you already, if you go to pull one, theyll shoot you, so no difference really.....plus, cops will see the use of a gun as murder more than self defense in most cases; whereas a knife, itll be a lot more plausible for a cop to think "hmm, one guy had a gun, and you stabbed him with a knife and ran away" than "you shot a guy with a gun, who had a gun...." when deciding whether its self defense or not

im sorry if that sentence doesnt make a lot of sense, i got interrupted about six times whilst typing it
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 03:58:28 PM »
BTW, I can tell that I'm gonna like this board.  No flaming in a gun topic? Epic internet win there.

GUNZ KELL PEEPLE U SHUDNT YOOZ DEM WEN UR DOING parkour
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline P.R. Stuart

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 09:44:19 PM »
Really, this is all entertaining actually.  I intend on using a Colt 1911, not another gun.  Any other tips would be cool, but I think I've been answered enough.
I decided not to put something deep here.  I'm in this for the physical aspect, the mental and spiritual are my own.

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 05:52:42 PM »
Really, this is all entertaining actually.  I intend on using a Colt 1911, not another gun.  Any other tips would be cool, but I think I've been answered enough.

lol
well then, that helps, thank you for clearing up all the random fighting in the thread (finally)

if you are planning on doing it
do it legally, then go for comfort

nothing would suck more than getting stopped by a cop

unless of course youre already doing something illegal, then the legality of having a gun would only help the court case (assuming you get caught), but not really matter too much

i kinda wanna know why you are wanting to have the gun on you.....
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline P.R. Stuart

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 07:19:41 AM »
Well, at this point, I'm just going to buy a rubber dummy to train with until I'm old enough to carry a real one, don't have any CCing plans yet.

This isn't entirely topic, but since I was asked, I simply want to carry a gun for the typical reasons--self-defense, or protection of others.  I also believe in exercising my right as an American to keep and bear arms, and think that the same preparedness used in carrying the weapon naturally goes with the philosophy of Parkour, as someone in this topic said.  After all, if I'm out Running and I see some poor guy getting mugged or beat up, I'm going to feel SO prepared being able to run away from it without getting involved--although there are obviously other alternatives, the reasons above coincide with a firearm specifically.

MeKa360

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 11:46:48 AM »
well i created my own martial arts called  random Bs

i just take moves from any martial art i see and use them pretty much
and i know how to use a knive well

so if you see me,  dont try to sneek up or ambush me
your'll regret it   ;) ;) :D ;D

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 01:45:54 PM »
alright thats cool

hopefully you have some good ideas though now
-Thrice

1+1=10

b5200

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 09:00:28 PM »

As a person who's initials are BS and a practitioner of a strange combination of tai chi and wushu I can appreciate your martial art(Fear me, for I can part the horses mane then unleash a flashing palm :P).

Offline Joshua Winzer-Irwin

• Patas
  • you say no to drugs? i say no to gravity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 10:43:44 PM »
be careful about exercising that so called 'right'
the court can still shut you down.

it all depends on what state you are in, as well.
here in wisconsin, we have the right to bear arms in security, hunting, recreational pursuit, etc.

but if the court doesnt see it as any of those, then they have no problem slapping you in the face, no matter what you say, no matter what you might think.

take for example, this case: http://www.wislawjournal.com/archive/2006/0524/ccw.html

fisher had to drive to the bank with large sums of money from his business, he kept a loaded gun in his truck, but since his truck is not an 'extension of his business' he was shot down.

just some food for thought. be careful what you think you have the 'right' to do

MeKa360

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2009, 04:12:42 AM »

As a person who's initials are BS and a practitioner of a strange combination of tai chi and wushu I can appreciate your martial art(Fear me, for I can part the horses mane then unleash a flashing palm :P).

i mostly study ninjitsu, MMa and brawling

Offline P.R. Stuart

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2009, 06:31:31 AM »

just some food for thought. be careful what you think you have the 'right' to do

I totally agree.  In today's world, you never know who will actually get the upper hand in the courts...  But no matter what, I'll be responsible, and get my permits and everything.  Even if I get busted for using it once, then at least I was ready that time :)