Author Topic: First year  (Read 790 times)

Offline Chris Slater

• Mangabey
  • PARKOUR PIE
    • View Profile
First year
« on: May 02, 2009, 12:47:25 PM »
OK well yesterday marks my first year of doing parkour  :D     And I was wondering what important things did you learn in your first year that helped your training greatly into ur second year what important things did you learn to help you mentally and our physically ?
Go outside already!!

Offline ryan grice

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: First year
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 03:41:27 PM »
I think my biggest accomplishment of year one was getting over caring whether I look stupid or not. I used to be extremely self-concious about training alone, but due to all my training buddies being slackers with no gas money, I got over it. This has also transferred into other areas of life such as practicing music alone, and in general not being such a conformist tool just so I won't feel silly.

RyanG

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 10:54:38 PM »
For me, the biggest accomplishment was coming to realise the real reason behind parkour.

I started off as doing it as a "sport" as I thought it was all about doing the hardest moves and all that stuff

But after about 6 months, I came to a realisation of what parkour was really about; it was a philosophy. From that day, I started to treat it as a way to look at things through life.

Over the rest of the year, my personal philosophy concerning parkour changed quite a bit, as I kept viewing life from different angles. It's settled down, but now, for me, it's not a way to look at life; it IS life.

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 05:46:36 AM »
For me, the biggest accomplishment was coming to realise the real reason behind parkour.

I started off as doing it as a "sport" as I thought it was all about doing the hardest moves and all that stuff

But after about 6 months, I came to a realisation of what parkour was really about; it was a philosophy. From that day, I started to treat it as a way to look at things through life.

Over the rest of the year, my personal philosophy concerning parkour changed quite a bit, as I kept viewing life from different angles. It's settled down, but now, for me, it's not a way to look at life; it IS life.

This is a good place to be at. The philosophy comes after a while and you feel greatly enlightened. However, as time continues on you learn to adapt your life around parkour (for the most part) but realize a lot of that philosophy is just that --  a fun mental state.