Author Topic: Fight or Flight?  (Read 14303 times)

Offline David Lee

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Fight or Flight?
« on: March 22, 2009, 06:38:52 PM »
I've practiced martial arts since i was 4.  My first instinct growing up was always to fight. I was wondering is there a point when, i become so comfortable with my ability to avoid rather than confont, that my instinct will be to run 9 times out of 10? Any thoughts?
Invention, my dear friends, is ninety-three percent perspiration, six percent electricity, four percent evaporation, and two percent butterscotch ripple.

Offline Alex L.

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Fight or Flight?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:23:48 PM »
Usually when you train in martial arts you are taught to try to avoid confrontation as often as you can. However, Parkour doesn't HAVE to be a practical use; it could be just for fun or to better yourself. It's a matter of your preferance. Would you rather beat the living crap out of your opponent or escape him and run. Although if you are being charged by a group of people the best choice would be to run.

Offline Brandon "Shark" Dean

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 07:28:54 PM »
My view on this is like my view parkour: if you can go one way, you should be able to go the other.

Adrenaline gives your brain that notion of "fight or flight". Usually, the outcome is determined through a very quick response in the brain that decides if you have a better chance of survival by fighting or running away. Take this for an example: a guy is confronted by another guy. The guy being confronted is slow, but strong. The instinct would be to fight. But then there is a guy that is confronted that is weaker than the guy confronting him, but he is fast. HE would run.

SO...... it would kinda depend on the situation. But my thought is that if you get to where you can escape better than fight, then the flight instinct will eventually outrule the fight one.
Sweatpants: $15
Running Shoes: $120
Gatorade: $3
Doing Parkour: Priceless

Some things in life take Master Card
For the rest, there's Parkour

Offline PKAB

• Mangabey
  • Do a Barrel Roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 09:15:29 PM »
Using martial arts to harm is only last resort. If you can avoid fights do it. This should be easy for a traceur. However if your cornered with no piossible way of escape.... Kick some @$$!!
Perfection is a flaw.

Offline Kineticstorm

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 09:45:01 PM »
Just remember, anyone can fight (even if they do not win), but to run away rather than resort to violence takes real character. Violence, unless used to defend someone else, is a failing. Plus, you are a lot less likely to go to jail for outrunning someone  ;)
As soon as you stop pushing yourself, stop trying to reach your paragon, the day that you become content with your abilities and place in life, that's the day you start dying.

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 06:07:49 AM »
Um... running away doesn't automatically prove character. Sometimes you need to stay and fight even if you can run away. However, needing to fight happens WAY less in most peoples situations.

I 100% agree with the last statement on jail though.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 08:22:46 AM »
Just remember, anyone can fight (even if they do not win), but to run away rather than resort to violence takes real character. Violence, unless used to defend someone else, is a failing. Plus, you are a lot less likely to go to jail for outrunning someone  ;)

imo it takes more character to stand your ground and get your ass beat.

see, anyone can run too, anyone can do both. the person who is most scared will run.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Kevin Davies

• hacker supreme
  • Patas
  • Tacoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 08:25:38 AM »
My mom told me when I was in grade school that I should always walk away from a fight, but if someone wouldn't let me walk away that I should beat the @#$%@% out of them so they would leave me alone.  That advice worked out pretty well for playground fights.  As an adult I would try avoid physical confrontation as much as possible because of possible legal problems, plus I have a wife and kids to provide for, so if I got hurt that could be a big problem.  That being said, if it were a situation where my wife or kids were in danger and I couldn't talk my way out of it or walk away, I would fight until either I or the other guy was unconscious.

b5200

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 08:28:59 AM »

see, anyone can run too, anyone can do both. the person who is most scared will run.

Didn't know character meant stupidity.  Why not just purposely hurt yourself.

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 10:33:56 AM »
I don't know where I read, although I'm pretty sure it was in something that was about the history of Parkour, but it listed three major ways that a person can deal with a confrontation; there was fight and flight, and then it said that the third way was to try and talk your way out of it, or to use our communicative capabilities to prevent a confrontation.

The order I would see it going in is this; Run, if the guy catches you do your best to talk him out of trying to fight you, if that doesn't work, fight, but stay on the defensive unless he really seems like he wants to kill you, and if it really gets down to the nitty gritty, like you're outnumbered, or they have a deadly weapon, don't be afraid to apeshit on his ass... throw sand in his eyes, shots to the groin, eye gouges, whatever you got to do to stay alive.
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 11:00:29 AM »

It takes NO character to stand and fight. How many lowlifes get into fights? And how many have the will or the intelligence to restrain themselves and avoid a confrontation?
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline Bryan H.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 11:25:47 AM »
I remember in school one day this year some kid in the lunch line pushed me, when I staggered back I came back with a punch to his eye and he got made fun of for a couple months and he is scared of me :D I also had two other fights where I couldn't run, same kid both times. The first time he hit me with his lunch box, so I took his lunch box and through it in the field next to us and proceeded to knock him down with some punches and then kick him. The next time he hit me with paper(yeah paper, it didn't hurt but he was trying to annoy me) I held him by his shirt against the wall and hit him in the stomach and the face a few times and then walked away.

Offline David Johnson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »
And what is your point?

your mother

Offline Sharpie AKA Steven Sharpe

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 02:14:22 PM »
I've had to face this a lot cuz I'm the skinny white kid who can be easily pushed around and i walk away from stuff a lot. i agree that it takes more will and self control to walk away instead of getting into a fight.

if you don't enjoy training alone, your training for the wrong reasons.

The World. My Playground.
The Streets. My Home.
The Architecture. My Inspiration.
The Fear. My Motivation.
The Sweat, the Scars, the Pain. My Proof.
My Name. Traceur.

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 02:53:09 PM »
I've had to face this a lot cuz I'm the skinny white kid who can be easily pushed around and i walk away from stuff a lot. i agree that it takes more will and self control to walk away instead of getting into a fight.

Well, in the next year or so when you can really see the effects of your training, i doubt it will happen as much.  ;)
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline Brandon "Shark" Dean

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
I hope so because I'm in the same situation...... if not worse.
Sweatpants: $15
Running Shoes: $120
Gatorade: $3
Doing Parkour: Priceless

Some things in life take Master Card
For the rest, there's Parkour

Offline PKAB

• Mangabey
  • Do a Barrel Roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 03:19:06 PM »
I've had to face this a lot cuz I'm the skinny white kid who can be easily pushed

around and i walk away from stuff a lot. i agree that it takes more will and self control to walk away instead of getting into a fight.

Well, in the next year or so when you can really see the effects of your training, i doubt it will happen as much.  ;)

Yeah I used to get pushed around a lot too. I know feel much more confident when vconfronted and now when they try to push me I throw them around (in a joking atmospher of coarse that how they pushed me) and they tend to push me less.
Perfection is a flaw.

Offline Xiras

• Patas
  • rainbow dash
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 03:23:28 PM »
martial arts is meant that in such a situation your life is in extreme danger you can use it it is not for simply making someone stop bullying you. if he wont stop simply tell a adult yes it is a bit wimpy but it's beter than the alternative. it is only meant to be use if your well being is threatened even then only enough to stop the assailent not to incapacitate him for a extended amount of time if confrontation is inevitable then simply do a stopping technique no need to lose control and pound his/her lights out. it is called self defense for a reason as you are yusing it to defend yourself nothing more. hope this helps a bit
MyLittleBrony

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 03:33:13 PM »
"A fondness for power is implanted, in most men, and it is natural to abuse it, when acquired."

--Alexander Hamilton, The Farmer Refuted, 23 February 1775

Wow, I just saw this in my email from the Patriot Post. Thought it was fitting.

Don't let the strength and confidence you gain from Parkour be used unnecessarily. Believe me, I've stated many times that resorting to violence is necessary in some cases. Just don't apply beat-downs for every little thing. Each case is different, talk it out, run, fight and in some cases take a beating only to get back up and get beat again without ever lifting a hand. To rule out any one of these options is nonsense.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline Sam Zytka

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 04:30:14 PM »
i know i am probably going to get crap for this but heres my 2 cents about the argument
one is this is where people get the idea that traceurs are narcissistic because we all picture ourselves to be so noble that we take the morally high road and back down and don't cause any trouble, there really is no need for this and thats where the traceur narcissistic idea comes from, just read through the conversation with the idea that traceurs are elitist in your head, you will see what i mean besides that
i completely agree with eisenberg, i see some points like if a group comes up to you, run as fast as you can, but if one single person comes up to you i would say stand your ground regardless
i used to be great friends with this kid that was hell of a lot stronger then me and mostly everyone and he would always give people shit because everyone was to scared to fight back, long story short i became stronger and he stopped picking on me because he was scared i might actually beat him up, long story short is if you back down from someone then that person will always own you, you might argue that you are doing the right thing, but until you take up action or stand your ground, you will forever be that persons bitch
my final thing is 2 weeks ago this kid in my school who is big and strong but not athletic(he is bulky and fat) came up to me and he doesn't know who i am and i have seen him around but didn't know who he was and he came up to me while training and actually tried to mug me.  He was with friends but they kept on walking and told him not to bother wasting his time and that but he decided to come over anyways. He walked over to me and said "hey buddy whats up, got any money for me" i figured he was going to ask me what i was doing so i was taken back by what he said.  He stepped up onto this platform so that he was like a foot higher then me and he tried to look intimidating.  First thing i did was jump up onto the platform and stare at him real close.  He got a look at how much bigger, stronger, and more athletic i was and he seemed hesitant.  I responded with a simple "what" to give him another chance to play it off as a joke.  he repeated it again except in almost a mumble, "I know you got some money for me man so why don't you hand it over and i can go" i told him that he could go without any money and he tried to get up in my face but he was scared shittless and i pushed him backwards.  he kept asking me for money and i told him that i didn't want to punch him but i would if he insisted.  he still insisted so i pushed him back and i clenched my fist and he thought i was going to punch him and i was intending on doing so but he said, "alright man look im sorry i was just joking around you know that"  I watched him walk away in shame and i remember hearing so many people talk about him as if he was so intimidating but i just held my ground and he backed down.  I could tell he wasn't used to people backing down because he is big, but now whenever i see him in the halls at school he tries to avoid eye contact and me altogether.  The point of this story is that if you don't back down there is a good chance that the other person will back down.  If you do back down its like they own you everytime you are near them.  If neither back down then you get into a fight and if you lose then o well, you can't win them all, but if you never back down i guarantee you will never be disappointed with yourself for pussying out.  You can say that avoiding bodily harm is not a pussy thing to do, but letting someone else own you is.  If you have ever backed down from a fight or had someone else back down from a fight then you will know exactly what i am talking about

the final thing is why does spell check on here not have the word traceur programed into its dictionary, its just odd cause people use it like 10 times a post