Author Topic: SUPERSIZE ME  (Read 7908 times)

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
Re: SUPERSIZE ME
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »
Not everyone has time, or money to eat healthily.  Granted a lot of people make the choice to eat shitty, but to some thats all they can afford.  Read Nickel and Dimed

health is expensive.

That is a myth and a fallacy, imho.

Agreed...

"Expensive" is relative. Everything you pay for (in time or in money) is an investment. What makes something "expensive" or not depends entirely on the return on investment.

Example:

I buy a used car for $1000, because that is all I (think I) can afford right now. However the car has some maintenance issues so I need to spend about $100 on repairs every month for it. By the time a year has passed, the car has cost me $2200. And now that it's older and has more wear and tear, I will have a hard time selling it and getting much of that money back.

Perhaps I could have re-examined my priorities and budget, and skimped elsewhere in my budget (cutting out the daily Starbuck's latte, for example), and put that money towards a car with a higher cost. If I had purchased a better-quality used car for $2200, I maybe could have gotten a car with no maintenance issues, that would have lasted me a long time and had better resale value.

Which was the more "expensive" car?

;)

To me, health and education are the two investments that are ALWAYS worth it. Education is something that, once you have it, it can never be taken away. It's the only guaranteed permanent investment there is. It will never depreciate. Whether or not you get a return on it (in terms of monetary value) kind of depends on market forces, etc. But once you have knowledge it is with you forever; once you have a degree or certification or something like that, it can't ever be taken away from you (sure, maybe some certifications expire, but it's not like the knowledge evaporates... you maybe just have to jump through a few hoops to renew, but you always have the knowledge with you).

Health is similar, but kind of in the reverse. It's one of those investments you start out with a full account balance of, and then depending on how you spend it, it either stays a high balance or it dwindles. Once your health starts to deteriorate, it can be very very hard to get it back again. If you are healthy and able, you can participate fully in life. You can be alive as opposed to just living. For me personally, I would rather die than spend life in and out of hospitals, or wheezing after going up a flight of stairs, or not being able to play with my dog or dance or hike the Andes, etc...

When our cars break down, it's a relatively simple matter to replace the parts and get back on the road. When our bodies break down, it's a much different story. You only get one body.

In my view, spending the extra time and/or money on health is always a worthwhile investment, because of its return on quality of life. To say nothing of the cost savings on medical care. It costs WAY more to have a heart bypass, which is only one day of your life, than it does to eat healthy across a lifetime.

</soapbox>

:)

Back on topic...

I don't care for McDonald's at all, or any fast food place, really. I eat fast food maybe once a year; usually on road trips when there is truly no other option (i.e. my cooler packed with healthy snacks is empty; all other restaurants are closed, I'm in the middle of Nebraska at 10:00 pm). By that point I am eating to put calories into my body for fuel, nothing more. I try to make the healthiest choices I can given my day... a salad with chicken or something if I can, but in general, I just don't eat fast food. It feels icky in my body usually.

She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline RandJordan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 07:27:43 PM »
health is expensive.

Or maybe I just need to level up my cooking skill…

I laughed, sounds too much like World of Warcraft ;) I used to play a lot.
Thank God for my new found love towards movement.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 09:10:45 PM »
health is expensive.

Seems one can choose two out of the three: speed, health, and cost.  Yes, you can get cheap, healthy food, but even the quicker things take more prep time.  Or maybe I just need to level up my cooking skill…

Or learn what tastes good raw...

most nights I eat raw veggies and  grilled meat....not because its super tasty (although, it is..) but because it takes 2 sec to throw something on the grill then forget about it and even less time to throw raw fruit/veggies in my mouth :P

I spent 7.00 on lunch today and i had food to last me until next lunch...which will make 2 lunches cost me about 5 bucks each when they even out...when I don't eat healthy my lunch costs 50-100% more.

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2009, 07:25:31 AM »
I'm still workin' on making a Poor Man's Guide to Eating Well.
Perhaps I can help with some of this confusion when I finish it.

Lysander

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2009, 06:01:10 PM »
health is expensive.

Seems one can choose two out of the three: speed, health, and cost.  Yes, you can get cheap, healthy food, but even the quicker things take more prep time.  Or maybe I just need to level up my cooking skill…

Or learn what tastes good raw...

most nights I eat raw veggies and  grilled meat....not because its super tasty (although, it is..) but because it takes 2 sec to throw something on the grill then forget about it and even less time to throw raw fruit/veggies in my mouth :P

I spent 7.00 on lunch today and i had food to last me until next lunch...which will make 2 lunches cost me about 5 bucks each when they even out...when I don't eat healthy my lunch costs 50-100% more.

Try new foods, such as alligator/crocodile, cow tongue, goat heart, all taste good. Try this.
http://www.weird-food.com/index.html
Raw vegetables, grilled meat, and cooking up an egg are all also good ways to eat.  ;D

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2009, 07:09:29 PM »
haha.. here in columbus you can get camel meat in the somali grocery stores.. it's not bad. i tried it a couple of months ago.

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2009, 08:53:41 PM »
What happens in Columbus... stays in Columbus  :-Sarcasm nah I have heard it tastes good... My favorite exotic meat i have had is crocodile in Australia tastes scrumptious!
Co-Founder

Offline Bret [Soundcrafter]

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2009, 07:25:40 PM »
What happens in Columbus... stays in Columbus  :-Sarcasm nah I have heard it tastes good... My favorite exotic meat i have had is crocodile in Australia tastes scrumptious!

Ostrich. Like a sausagey-chicken.

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2009, 07:38:33 PM »
Even as a vegetarian for so many years I have to say the best-tasting and most amazing is not any fancy or weird animal but pork, I don't want to hurt it of course but if I smell things like bacon or any of the many other ways you can eat it I can't deny it smells delicious... As the simpsons said:
Quote from: Simpsons, EP 133
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.
(video)