Author Topic: SUPERSIZE ME  (Read 7459 times)

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
Re: SUPERSIZE ME
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 08:26:56 PM »
Dude, I'm just thinking, why would he almost kill himself and go from a very healthy person to morbidly obese person just to prove if McD's is unhealthy? It is obviously unhealthy, but exact details aren't really needed imo.
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 08:48:04 PM »
I saw that movie about two and a half years ago and Haven't eaten McDonalds since.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline RandJordan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 06:03:36 PM »
This video is disgusting. If you ever get around to having the DVD watch the special features. Some of the most rank things imaginable.

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 06:59:43 AM »
hey guys i find McDs disgusting I havent been to one for over 8 yrs and when i go i only get chicken nuggets... which are still bad but i havent had an actual burger there since i was 5 and im 16
Co-Founder

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 08:11:29 PM »
hey guys i find McDs disgusting I havent been to one for over 8 yrs and when i go i only get chicken nuggets... which are still bad but i havent had an actual burger there since i was 5 and im 16

This wouldn't happen to be you would it? LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSZ6k3QIsAk

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 07:48:21 PM »
Lol that's hilarious!

But his is me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sw2OvIgoO8

This wouldn't happen to be you would it? LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSZ6k3QIsAk

Co-Founder

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 06:59:25 AM »
Dude, I'm just thinking, why would he almost kill himself and go from a very healthy person to morbidly obese person just to prove if McD's is unhealthy? It is obviously unhealthy, but exact details aren't really needed imo.

But that way he never would have gotten fame and money! :P

Offline Brian Dayton

• Patas
  • It's always good to change your perspective.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 11:16:43 AM »
I saw that movie in health class. One thing that struck me as kind of odd is that the guy who ate Big Macs every day had lower cholesterol than the host did at the beginning of the movie. Just goes to show you that just because you don't eat healthy foods doesn't mean you can't be healthy.
I'm gonna show you how great I am.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 12:05:19 PM »
I saw that movie in health class. One thing that struck me as kind of odd is that the guy who ate Big Macs every day had lower cholesterol than the host did at the beginning of the movie. Just goes to show you that just because you don't eat healthy foods doesn't mean you can't be healthy.

No...diet is one of MANY factors that affects cholesterol levels...and cholesterol levels are NOT a good indicator of Cardiovascular health or risk, despite their widespread use in doctor's offices.

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 12:52:03 PM »
Not to mention, cholesterol itself is actually a good thing, it's the Low-Density Lipoproteins that are a problem.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 01:17:58 PM »
Not to mention, cholesterol itself is actually a good thing, it's the Low-Density Lipoproteins that are a problem.

Still not true.

Cholesterol is not a problem...LDL just tends to be smaller and get stuck...the problem is inflammation + cholesterol...not cholesterol.  Inflammation is more of the problem.

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 04:11:49 PM »

Still not true.

Cholesterol is not a problem...LDL just tends to be smaller and get stuck...the problem is inflammation + cholesterol...not cholesterol.  Inflammation is more of the problem.
To be more exact, none of the 3 are a problem.

Cholesterol is not a problem, LDL is not a problem, and inflammation is certainly not a problem, when they are in normal healthy ranges and well balanced with other processes.

All 3 are very important molecules and processes that are essential to healthy body functions (especially healthy inflammation when it's a brief and very specific intermediate mediating many important bodily functions).

It just happens that in modern times due to a mix of bad habits like overfeeding, excessive consumption of refined foods and very sedentary life, it's easy to actually have an excess or imbalance of any or all of the 3.  Chronic, unnecessary and out-of-place inflammation, even  just from bad diet/metabolism/etc, for example, causes all sorts of serious problems, including strongly facilitating cancer development. But as for everything it's a matter of something very good and necessary going out of balance and becoming very bad.

So like with everything, don't think "potatoes are bad" or "cholesterol is bad" or "McDonald is the problem" because theya re not. You should think in terms of "I should practice more moderation, balance my diet better, and exercise enough".

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 05:38:54 PM »

Still not true.

To be more exact, none of the 3 are a problem.

Cholesterol is not a problem, LDL is not a problem, and inflammation is certainly not a problem, when they are in normal healthy ranges and well balanced with other processes.

All 3 are very important molecules and processes that are essential to healthy body functions (especially healthy inflammation when it's a brief and very specific intermediate mediating many important bodily functions).

It just happens that in modern times due to a mix of bad habits like overfeeding, excessive consumption of refined foods and very sedentary life, it's easy to actually have an excess or imbalance of any or all of the 3.  Chronic, unnecessary and out-of-place inflammation, even  just from bad diet/metabolism/etc, for example, causes all sorts of serious problems, including strongly facilitating cancer development. But as for everything it's a matter of something very good and necessary going out of balance and becoming very bad.

Bingo.

If you are testing for heart disease you are better off testing for chronic inflammation than cholesterol levels - there is just a higher correlation.  However, thats not the whole story because, as tombb says, the problem needs to be chronic.  Chronically high LDL levels that are small in size in conjunction with chronic inflammation...the sad truth is this is what most americans experience due to high stress, low exercise and poor diet...

So like with everything, don't think "potatoes are bad" or "cholesterol is bad" or "McDonald is the problem" because theya re not. You should think in terms of "I should practice more moderation, balance my diet better, and exercise enough".

While I agree strongly, I still think that there is no good reason to eat McDonalds or Potatoes :P  Moderating McDonalds and Potatoes regularly is so hard that I just don't see it as practical or worthwhile...well, except on cheat days where I don't have a problem with Wendy's Baconators, Frostis and fries if thats what you want (personally that makes me sick, though)

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 06:26:11 PM »
While I agree strongly, I still think that there is no good reason to eat McDonalds or Potatoes :P  Moderating McDonalds and Potatoes regularly is so hard that I just don't see it as practical or worthwhile...well, except on cheat days where I don't have a problem with Wendy's Baconators, Frostis and fries if thats what you want (personally that makes me sick, though)

Because I work at a McDonald's, I get half off on up to 15 dollars worth of food per day. Grilled chicken patties (solo) are $2.12 w/tax a piece, so I can get 7 of them for $7.42. That's pretty handy and money-saving, at about 20-25g of protein a piece. The grilled chicken patties are the only food I really trust, other than milk and peanuts.

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 06:47:46 PM »
Well, I see what you are saying and I agree, but if people can put a little extra effort toward learning moderation, even with something that might be hard to do, it can really pay off in all sorts of ways, it's a good skill to have and practice often.

For the example of McDonalds, I think the reasons that make it worth are the delicious taste of some stuff, the speed&convenience and the super cheap price. I usually prefer something like subway if I have to eat out, but even McDonalds or similar ones can be great for me.

And not all the things in the menu are on the unhealthy side, some are actually pretty flawless.
For example I like their side salad, that's 99c and just 20 calories, plus another 40 for the low fat balsamic vinegarette dressing. That's only 60 calories from a nice small portion of leafy veggies. I get that often if I am in the mood for salad because other options in restaurants commit me to a lot longer meals that I didn't even care for to begin with.

And fries are always near-perfect taste-wise, and I usually get just the small fries, if I feel like something how and starchy and delicious, and they are only 230 calories which is really not so bad if all you get is that and the salad. In my case, that's usually what I do since as you know I am vegetarian, so I would get my proteins somewhere else (usually I carry around things like whey protein shakes, and those have no fat or carbs so it complements well with something like that).
By the time I finished the small fries, I am not stuffed, but my 'sweet-tooth' or taste-enjoyment part of my brain is satisfied.

One thing that fast-food places do that I think is very bad however is their pricing scheme, because it's designed in a way to make people always feel stupid for ordering the smaller portions... The best example of this actually is McDonalds ApplePie I think, it's 99c for just one, but if you get two, the second one is only 1c more...  As long as people don't fall for those tricks and don't get used to eating larger and larger portions as a consequence, places like McDonalds are actually some of the nicer ones because they actually give you choices and even cheap smaller portions while at some other restaurants you might be served a huge 3000 calories dish and people might just end up finishing whatever is put in their plate.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 06:50:22 PM by tombb »

Offline FastGuppy

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 07:16:31 PM »
Not everyone has time, or money to eat healthily.  Granted a lot of people make the choice to eat shitty, but to some thats all they can afford.  Read Nickel and Dimed

health is expensive.
"obsession is a great replacement for talent" -Steve Martin

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 08:13:07 PM »
Not everyone has time, or money to eat healthily.  Granted a lot of people make the choice to eat shitty, but to some thats all they can afford.  Read Nickel and Dimed

health is expensive.

That is a myth and a fallacy, imho.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 03:08:04 AM »

health is expensive.

http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=10965.0

:)

I agree with all of this moderation stuff, but for some reason I can't go out and get a cheeseburger even if I wanted to every once in a while.  My body simply rejects it and I feel like crap for the next two to three days.

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 09:03:36 AM »
health is expensive.

That is a myth and a fallacy, imho.

Seems one can choose two out of the three: speed, health, and cost.  Yes, you can get cheap, healthy food, but even the quicker things take more prep time.  Or maybe I just need to level up my cooking skill…
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 09:24:23 AM »
I agree with all of this moderation stuff, but for some reason I can't go out and get a cheeseburger even if I wanted to every once in a while.  My body simply rejects it and I feel like crap for the next two to three days.
Daniel,
if you have that type of reaction to a food I am surprised that you still find it delicious and satisfying (usually if something makes you feel sick it naturally goes down in your list of favorite foods).
The point is not that you must eat any given food, it's just that if you really enjoy something (say, chocolate, cheese, watermelon or some other food that is somehow your favorite food in the world), you can definitely include it in a healthy diet as long as you think of moderation, balance etc.

Our bodies are very good at not 'rejecting' anything as useful as food, if you are healthy. The survival of our specie for the last half a million years and more depended on it.

So if you feel like you are 'rejecting' cheese+bread+meat, you might have developed some sort of allergy to one of those 3 ingredients (often this happens to people that cook and wash their hands with harsh soaps, if food particles end up passing through your skin defenses they can appear as parasite particles to your immune system and boom, you got a new food allergy).
But most likely, you just might have gotten used to producing much lower levels of enzymes for either starch, fat, lactose, casein or meat through your normal diet, and therefore eating a suddenly higher amount of these nutrients causes you indigestion. Or as a third possibility, the restaurant where you order your meat+cheese+bread has unsanitary conditions and you get things like salmonella added to your food, in which case a simple way to solve your problem is just to change restaurant.

I think you should try to sort out what your problem is by trying the ingredients separately, like eating only the bread of the cheesburger one day, only the meat another day, and only the cheese by itself on yet another day, and then check if you get sick on any of the 3 days. If it's indigestion, but for some reason it's still something you think it's delicious and just wish you could have at least once a month or on special occasions, even just getting a smaller size should fix the problem.