Author Topic: SUPERSIZE ME  (Read 7717 times)

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
SUPERSIZE ME
« on: March 20, 2009, 01:55:04 PM »
Thanks to Mathew Lee Willis, who reminded me of this film recently by posting it on Facebook.. It's something everyone should see really!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1432315846377280008&hl=en

Offline MetalPanda

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: SUPERSIZE ME
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 02:32:08 PM »
we are watching it in health. i might not eat mcD's again

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 03:26:47 PM »
I haven't seen the video, hopefully I'll be able to within the week. It seems like a stupid premise though, a monkey knows McD's is horrible for you.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 04:47:27 PM »
It seems like a stupid premise though, a monkey knows McD's is horrible for you.

And yet so many people keep eating fast food regularly.
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 08:50:34 PM »
Not everyone has time, or money to eat healthily.  Granted a lot of people make the choice to eat shitty, but to some thats all they can afford.  Read Nickel and Dimed

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 09:02:03 PM »
It seems like a stupid premise though, a monkey knows McD's is horrible for you.

And yet so many people keep eating fast food regularly.

Me being one of them. It's a choice for me, eat healthy and inconvenience my time... or eat fast food and do an extra lap and detox... which affects my time. I'm gonna watch the movie before I post again. Again though, the movie seems redundant to me, hopefully that will change afterward.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 10:10:50 PM »
Yeah, the movie premise doesn't sound all that interesting, but then when you watch it, it gets very interesting. Towards the end of it, the guy had me hanging on the edge of my seat wondering if he was actually going to die before his 30 day experiment was complete! This was a well-made documentary.

Offline MetalPanda

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 06:22:32 PM »
I haven't seen the video, hopefully I'll be able to within the week. It seems like a stupid premise though, a monkey knows McD's is horrible for you.
the main reason he did the film was actually b/c 2 girls tried to sue them for making them fat...haha the case is explained in the movie

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 06:40:15 PM »
Gah!!! Need Netflix badly!!!

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 07:47:35 PM »
there is a high resolution version of this on hulu.com but it has commercial interruptions..

Bowdz

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 10:20:15 AM »
I loved that documentary. Not only was he a very engaging individual, but it really did bring up a host of new problems that come with eating fast food (like the failing of his liver).

Offline Bret [Soundcrafter]

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 06:38:20 PM »
I loved that documentary. Not only was he a very engaging individual, but it really did bring up a host of new problems that come with eating fast food (like the failing of his liver).

...And the malfunctioning of his genitals. That sealed it for me.  ;D

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 01:04:04 AM »
no sh*t LOL

Bowdz

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 08:27:43 AM »

...And the malfunctioning of his genitals. That sealed it for me.  ;D

Oh god, I forgot about that one  :o.  Thank god I have zero desire to eat fast food.

Offline Corvand

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 09:28:33 AM »
Well thank god i don't eat fast food every day all day..ive seen that film before back in highschool. Ill eat fast food maybe once a week. I know not healthy but im changing my diet to begin with and i have been eating alot less junk in the last two days easly. wonder what a month will do.

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 12:44:56 PM »
I just wanted to emphasize that the results in that movie are a reflection of the effect of forced overeating and forced sedentary activity more than anything specific about fast-foods only.

It's not that things like potatoes, mayo, oil etc are always bad for you, and it's definitely not the case that anything with a big 'M' on it is bad for you (the $1 salads and fat-free low-calories dressings they have for example are as good as it gets for low calories, healthy and portion-controlled foods).

Definitely take the results of the movie in consideration, but even more importantly realize that you will likely get the exact same results if you just force yourself to be sedentary (he had to remove even his normal level of walking around town) and overeat well beyond the point of feeling full (you could see him struggling trying to bite the last few bites of most 'supersized' ones) with pretty much any relatively calorie-dense food source (there are much more calorie-dense foods than those which are not even fast-food, look at the many dishes in southern-style cooking, and things like re-fried doughnuts, blooming onions etc).

If the only rule you followed was 'avoid fast-food', you could still easily become obese, not do well in the bedroom, get diabetes, have a heart attack, etc.
If you instead followed rules like "eat in moderation, watch your portions, exercise a bit everyday and keep active, include food from many groups like fruits and vegetables", you would not (even calorie-dense foods are not so bad if you watch your portions and are more active).

Offline Bret [Soundcrafter]

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 07:31:28 PM »
If the only rule you followed was 'avoid fast-food', you could still easily become obese, not do well in the bedroom, get diabetes, have a heart attack, etc.
If you instead followed rules like "eat in moderation, watch your portions, exercise a bit everyday and keep active, include food from many groups like fruits and vegetables", you would not (even calorie-dense foods are not so bad if you watch your portions and are more active).

Does this mean I'm awesome in bed?  :P

Seriously, though, Tombb once again establishes a valid point. Fast food is a little similar to HFCS in that it takes ALL the rap for America's poor eating habits: Yes, it's bad for you, but it's not the only thing that can do damage to you.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 08:02:33 PM »
The point is IN GENERAL:

1. processed crap is responsible for obesity.
2. Processed crap tends to have a lot of calories = terrible portion control + not a lot of redeeming nutritional value.
3. Most of the calories in processed crap are junk calories like vegetable oils or HFCS or derivatives.

HFCS may not be necessarily bad for you, but the amounts of it that come in foods (like sodas, candy, etc.) is definitely bad. Therefore, villifying it is in my opinion justified as long as it keeps people away from the aforemention processed foods.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 08:43:01 PM »
the problem with villifying things for the wrong reason is:

1) it shifts much needed attention away from the real causes and the very important underlying issues, allowing people to think they are eating healthy for example because they are eating cases and cases of "wholesome", "all-natural" "honey&whole-wheat" doughnuts. People who like hear their problems come from just one scapegoat source will often not act all that rationally or carefully in their substitutions, and even words like "processed", "junk foods" and "fast-foods" are very easy to just distort, misunderstand or get around.

2) Saying instead "you should exercise more, control your portions, and try to eat better" is much more clear-cut, it's exactly the root of the problem, and less likely to be dismissed or ignored regardless of clever marketing.

3) Vilifying things because they are ~probably bad in some other way anyways is generally how bad information is spread without second thoughts or remorse.
"Hey, consuming fats is probably bad for you anyways so it's ok to also blame diabetes and a bunch of other unrelated stuff on it too, despite all the evidence showing other things are responsible, tell people to never intake fat at all and push them toward carbs instead, it's a white lie for the greater good, right?"...
We know many examples of this, and it's never a good practice and has generally lead to more problems than what someone "lying and exaggerating for a good cause" intended to solve, while all it would have taken is being scientific and honest about what really causes or doesn't cause something even when they are bad in other ways. 

For example, sitting on the couch watching action movies on TV all day is not the most productive activity, but it will not cause your kids to go shoot people.  And people who spend all their time trying to vilify action movies do a great disservice to society by shifting attention away from real and important issues that instead -have- a direct link to this problem, like lack of good parenting, or socioeconomic and psychological support to growing teens etc.
Same for many other things people might kinda want to exaggerate out of other concerns or agendas... again, telling people their hands will get hairy and they will go blind if they spend too much time in the shower or telling them that their problems are caused by the fact that KFC is secretly using magical mutant chicken with 8 wings and no head or similar absurd lies is not the answer.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 11:03:02 AM »
The debate here isn't over the facts, now -- its over philosophy of how to deal with a problem.

HFCS, like everything in this universe, is bad for you when taken to an extreme level of consumption.  It is just very easy to get to an extreme level of consumption of HFCS. 

Thats the take home message -- however you want to preach the good word is up to you.