Author Topic: an idea :D  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Monique

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
an idea :D
« on: June 06, 2006, 09:45:59 PM »
I learned this technique from snowboarding offseason training, then i got a little creative with it. Supposed to tone and improve flexibility. It sounds silly, I know, but try it, let me know what you think. [Its a little harder than you'd assume.]

sitting down on an elevated surface, lift your legs out in front of you try writing the alphabet in the air using your ankles. then try it for your knees, by leaning back a bit and lifting your legs up enough to give them a complete range of motion. Then lean on your back, and try writing the alphabet by directing your legs with your hips. 
I also do this with my wrists elbows and shoulders. [I use a weight for a little resistence.]

Offline soar

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: an idea :D
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 08:08:10 AM »
Interesting!  A couple questions:
For each joint, I imagine that that the rest of your body "stays put"?  Example: when doing it with your ankles, your knees and hips don't bend.  When doing it with your knees, your ankles, upper legs, and hips don't bend, but maybe rotate a little.  Etc, etc etc.  Is that the right idea?
How big to do the letters?  As far as your range of motion will allow?
Elevated surface?  You mean like sitting on the edge of a table?

Offline Monique

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 08:39:55 PM »
yeah the rest of your body does stay put. its a bit tricky when considering the knees and how those muscles have an effect on the muscles of the ankles. The size of the letters is as large as the range of motion you have for each joint.
by elevated surface i meant chair or ledge depending where you are.
 ;)

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 09:12:06 PM »
Intertesting, it sounds like a great way to loosen up a bit.  I think I'm going to try this before I run.
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline jamminb0111

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 12:13:45 PM »
this sounds interesting. where do you snowboard?

Gearsighted

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 04:05:05 PM »
I've used the ankle version to try and strengthen my ankles after sprains. It's supposed to be a good technique for functional range of motion, and I can see it being a great dynamic warm-up. Good idea!