Author Topic: A Beginner's Attempt to Learn  (Read 4925 times)

Offline Polecat

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
A Beginner's Attempt to Learn
« on: June 05, 2006, 10:08:57 AM »
Figured that this will keep me motivated and be able to receive people's input.

June 05
Since I'm not in great shape, I decided to start off small and work my way up to more intense training regiments.

Before doing anything, I stretched out a bit and jumped rope for 1 minute.
Then went on to do http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/597/222/ article listed on the website and finally did what my boxing gym refered to as The Chair Wall.

The Chair Wall - 2 sets. Usually done in a rotating pattern with a partner. All you need is a chair. [I only did one set].
#1 - Pushups - 10 reps
 Get in pushup position and place just your feet on the chair. After this becomes easier, increase the number of pushups or do explosive pushups. For an even more difficult work out, do explosive clap pushups.

#2 - Crunchs - 10 reps [I went all out and didn't even count].
Place legs in the chair and arms behind your head. Simple and short movement, tip of elbows to knees.

#3 - Dips - 15 reps
Placing your hands on the edge of the chair, stretch your legs out and dip down til your elbows are in a 90 degree angle and bend at the waist. Push back up. Avoid locking up your elbows when pushing back up!

#4 - Reverse Crunchs - 10 reps [Went for 25]
Sit on the ground, lean back slightly and use your arms to hold yourself up. Lift legs up, while bent at a 90 degree angle, and bring them closer to you and the away. This should work your lower abs and the movement should be small [but it burns.. oh it burns].

Alternative #4 - Reverse Crunchs - 10 reps [Only can be done with a partner]
Partner stands with feet apart. Lay down on the ground with your head between their feet and grab onto their ankles. Lift legs straight up into the air [try to keep them straight] and have your partner push them as hard as they can to the the left, right, and away from them. This is one rep. Bring your legs back to their original position as quick as possible.

#5 - Switching Squat - 15 reps
Stand with feet shoulder length apart, knees bent slightly, and your lead foot a step ahead of your other foot. Hop-switch your feet positions 3 times and squat. That is 1 rep.

Afterwards, I went outside and did some basic landing practice and tried to get more comfortable rolling. As it rained last night, this lasted about five minutes before I gave up due to the ground being too muddy.

Things to work on later today/tonight:
  • Basic Vaults
  • Breathing Stamina - MUST go running.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 10:15:35 AM by Polecat »

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
Re: A Beginner's Attempt to Learn
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 03:49:54 PM »
Cool, I like the idea of working out with a chair. I'm guessing explosive pushups is wear you actually push yourself into the air?

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline Polecat

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 08:46:05 AM »
Cool, I like the idea of working out with a chair. I'm guessing explosive pushups is wear you actually push yourself into the air?

Yep!  :) Glad to help. If you have any recommendations, be sure to let me know!

Offline Polecat

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:54:36 AM »
June 06

Repeatition of June 5th, except I did two sets of the The Chair Wall and a light jog later that night.

Did drops from a cat on a ledge to work on landings, I think I've gotten pretty comfortable with it.
Still working on getting comfortable on doing the roll, so far work only a kneeling and standing rolls on carpet and grass. [Trying to get accustomed to rolling on both shoulders].

June 07
Despite the The Chair Wall and Simple Plan I did yesterday, my upper body felt fine this morning. I suppose I still have some leftover conditioning from boxing. Legs suffering though, stiff and sore.

Went light today. Only one set of a Chair Wall. Trying to shift to an earlier morning workout as summer is starting to get into fullswing and friends are coming home.

Offline Polecat

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 10:09:34 AM »
June 07 - Continued
Ended up running about downtown getting comfortable with simple and lazy vaults. A few attempts to kong ended up botched due to hesitation.  :-X And then some barefoot running when I got home. So much for taking it easy.

June 08
Really going to take it easy today. Hopefully.

Offline Polecat

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 07:42:37 AM »
June 09
Swimming and Running later today for cardio and to build up stamina.

Offline Polecat

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 05:13:22 PM »
June 10
APK Warm-up followed by a light one mile jog.

June 11
APK Warm-up. Light PK practice; mostly vaults and some precisions from benchs. Ended with a jog - 2.5 miles at a brisk pace and some lazy laps around the pool.

June 12
PK training. Work primarily on vaults with a combination of balance training [walking on rails]. Ended shortly after I botched an attempt at a kong and hitting my knee against the horizontal pole I was using for practice. Knee is still stiff and I'll be keeping off of it for the next few days. [hopefully not very long].