Author Topic: Will's Training Log  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Will's Training Log
« on: March 02, 2009, 08:37:35 PM »
Thanks to Chris Salvato who recommended so many exercizes to me. The purpose of this log is to track my fitness progress as well as my strength in concrete training.

As of now, I am very unsatisfied with my strength and energy levels, particularly in my lower body. While this log will track my conditioning for all parts of my body, I am placing a heavy emphasis on lower body plyometric drills as well as balance and knee strengthening.

I do not have any recorded benchmarks yet, so I will get them this week. I will be conditioning every other day.

Deep breath. Here's to progress! 

Monday, March 2, 2009:

Lower body conditioning only.

-Stability disc drills (2 sets of 30 reps)
-Weighted calf raises (10 lb free weights)
        -On stability disc (2 sets of 10)
        -On ground (2 sets of 10 bursts)
-Knee exercizes on Mom's Pilates machine
        -Heels together (2 sets of 20)
        -Apart (3 sets of 20)
        -Knee on seat (3 sets of 20 per knee)
-One legged broads (3 sets of 10)-BENCHMARK DATA TBD
-Pistol broads (1 set of 5)-BENCHMARK DATA TBD
-Semi-Pistol Verts (2 sets of 10)
-Semi-Pistol Broads (1 set of 5)
-10 minutes of balance drills on rail

Supplements:
-1 muscle milk scoop
-2 Alpha GPC Capsuls

That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Will's Training Log
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 04:50:59 PM »
Alright. Climb ups climb ups climb ups. I need to get my climb ups down. Every other day (that means on the off days of my lower body workouts) I'll be targeting my climb ups. This includes rings, pull up bar, push ups, and yes, climb ups. Sweet.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Upper Body Only.

-Climb ups (I don't even know how many I did...Just a bunch)
-Topouts (Lots...)
-Climb ups linked with topouts (not too many, but I'm getting there)
-Ring work
     -1 muscle up, 10 dips (3 sets)
-Mom's pilates machine
     -Handstand-tricept-ab workout (3 sets of 12)
-Perfect Pushups (2 sets of 20)

-10 minutes of rail balancing drills
     -new progression: 270 switchback. I like this a lot, keep working on it.

Supplements:
-2 Alpha GPC capsuls
-1 muscle milk scoop

Very tired today-get more sleep. Get your hw done quicker.
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 05:09:12 PM »
Bout damn time! Most def have my eye on this one.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 06:30:38 PM »
Today wasn't a great day for me. I didn't get much sleep, and I ate a lot of frozen yogurt right before I worked out. Bad. Anyways, I still managed to make it productive. Today marks the first day in a long time that I have actually started sprinting again. WOO! My knees hurt pretty badly today so I had to tone it down a little bit...

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Upper body conditioning only.

-Interval sprints (5 sprints/5 jog backs-one block-REMEMBER TO MEASURE YOUR BLOCK IN METERS!)
-One legged broads (1 set of 10)
-Pistol broads (1 set of 10)
-depth jump calfs (2 sets of 10)
-One legged verticals (2 sets of 10)
-Knee strengthening drills on mom's pilates machine:
   -Ankles together pumps (2 sets of 45)
   -Ankles apart pumps (2 sets of 45)
   -Knee on seat (2 sets of 20 per leg)

-15 minutes of balance drills on rail
   Things to drill more:
  -keep drilling the 270 switchback on both sides
  -spins on each foot
  -flawless switchbacks back and forth.

Supplements:
-2 Alpha GPC Capsuls
-1 muscle milk scoop

Peace!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 06:04:13 PM by Will James »
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Christian Greene

• Awesomely Epic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • APEX Movement Team
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:03:42 PM »
Will what is the 270 switchback?

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 06:11:31 PM »
Thursday, March 5, 2009

Upper Body Conditioning Only.

-Rings
    -1 muscle up/10 dips/1 reverse muscle up/10 pullups (3 sets)
-Knee strengthening drills on mom's pilates machine (typical drills---just gotta build consistency right now)
-Climbups (15)
-Topouts (2 sets of 10)
-Climbup-Topout combo (5)
-10 minutes of balance drills

Supplements:
-2 Alpha GPC Capsuls
-1 muscle milk scoop

Xian--it's kind of hard to explain in text, so I'll show you at the next family jam but here goes...you start parallel to the rail (in the same direction as the cat balance position). Jump up and spin 270 degrees to a perpendicular precision...I'm not sure if it's actually called a 270 switchback, or if anyone has called it anything, but that's what I called it to make it easier to note in my log. Hope this helps.
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 08:43:12 PM »
*LOONNG SIGH* This week was terrible. Lots of work and very little sleep...I hope I didn't reverse anything I was trying to gain...
Well, I decided to train a little bit today, and felt very strong. My energy level was low, but that was from a lack of sleep, and a very draining day at school. I did some good lower body conditioning after I accomplished my 3 training goals for the day.

Friday, March 6, 2009

Lower Body Conditioning Only.
-Depth Jumps (3 sets of 10)
-One legged broads (3 sets of 10)
-One legged verts (3 sets of 10)
-Plyo hop calf raises (I don't know if that's the proper term, but it's in my head- 2 sets of 20)
-Full pistols (1 set of 5--I'm removing these from my training regement. Despite what many people may say, I think they're terrible for my knees)
-Pilates machine knee exercizes (2 sets of 50/2 sets of 20/2 sets of 20)
-No balance drills. I need some rest right now.

Supplements:
-1 muscle milk scoop
-Off of Alpha GPC-WASTE OF MONEY

I noticed that after about a week and a half of one legged broad training, I am getting a little more height at the peak of my arc. I never expected such quick results. Next week, I'll keep the same regiment, and then the following week I'll increase the number of sets I do. Right now I need to work on some serious knee stability, so amping my regiment too soon could result in something bad.

Will check back tomorrow
Peace!
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 08:52:07 PM »
So far so good but you have a lot of room for improvement here.

Firstly, what is the end goal here?  Sure you can be doing one legged broads and verts with depth jumps but what is the GOAL?  Is it a 50 inch box jump?  10 foot broad?  36 inch vertical?  What you have listed, so far, are not goals but exercises.  Exercises are part of the plan of action to achieve a goal.  I think you have some goals like "get my broad jump better" but having a number is whats important.  Measure your broad jump and from that set an attainable goal like "get my broad jump to increase by 6 inches".

Also, why are you using the pilates machine?  What is the end goal of doing that?  It is best to think and talk in terms of your goals.

Friday, March 6, 2009

Lower Body Conditioning Only.
-Depth Jumps (3 sets of 10)
-One legged broads (3 sets of 10)
-One legged verts (3 sets of 10)
-Plyo hop calf raises (I don't know if that's the proper term, but it's in my head- 2 sets of 20)
-Full pistols (1 set of 5--I'm removing these from my training regement. Despite what many people may say, I think they're terrible for my knees)
-Pilates machine knee exercizes (2 sets of 50/2 sets of 20/2 sets of 20)
-No balance drills. I need some rest right now.

One Legged Broads, One Legged Verts, Depth jumps should be limited to sets of 3.  They are explosive and skill oriented and should have lower volume.  Sets of 3 and go for maximum explosiveness and intensity each and every rep.  5 sets of 3 is good but really be as explosive as possible.

Plyo hop calf raises...im not sure if this is a worthwhile investment of time - just my opinion though.  Stick to the explosive movements that are whole body or one legged to increase your jump.

Fair enough on the pistols.

As I said above, what is the goal with the pilates machine?

In addition to all of this, I would surely add high intensity sprints.  Short distances (10m, 40m, 100m) will really help your jumping ability and explosiveness.

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 03:49:27 PM »
Thanks so much for the input, Chris. I neet people like you to keep me on track. My primary goal is to be a lot more explosive. That said, you're right, I have no numbers to work with here. I am taking tomorrow off of conditioning, but will start measuring my broads and vertical. I am also going for much more powerful climb ups, as well as an explosive climb up-top out link. I will benchmark all of this on Monday.

I knew I never should have mentioned the Pilates machine on the forum.  :) You see, I have a few minor knee pains (minor jumper's knee) and so my mom (who is very experienced with knee injuries having had several herself and then reconditioning them to run marathons again) recommended a few exercises to me. So far it has helped me very much, and so I will continue to use it for a while longer.

That said, I think I'm shooting for about a 6-9 inch increase in both my vertical jump and my broad jump by the beginning of Summer. I would like to be able to pump out 6-7 solid ring muslce ups, and 5 solid climb ups by the end of this month as well. Like I said before, I will benchmark on Monday March 9. Thanks again Chris for the input.

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Upper Body Conditioning Only.

-10 minutes of balance drills
-Rings
   -1 muscle up/10 dips/1 reverse muscle up/10 pullups (I'm calling this a muscle up cycle from now on-3 sets)
-Pull up bar exercises
-Top out exercises
-climb-ups (6 separate sets of 1...LAME! but also tired because this was post work out)
-Gotta write my freakin research paper!!!

Supplements:
-1 muscle milk scoop

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 03:56:47 PM by Will James »
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Dylan Baker

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 07:30:49 PM »
WILLY!!!
"You put water into a cup, it becomes the cup;  you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle; you put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.  Now water can flow or water can crash, be water my friend."

-Bruce Lee

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 07:59:34 PM »

WILLY!!!

Oh great YOU found out about this journal? I'm not going to be a good traceur now. Damnit.
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Dylan Baker

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 08:00:26 PM »
haha this is gonna be good. now i can spy on you ;)
"You put water into a cup, it becomes the cup;  you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle; you put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.  Now water can flow or water can crash, be water my friend."

-Bruce Lee

Offline Dylan Baker

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 08:03:38 PM »
just messin man, it's cool that u started this. i used to have one and it was helpful, but i just didn't give it enough energy, so it became no longer worth it. hopefully u will do a better job than i did :)

-Bruce Lee

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 09:25:26 PM »
I'll have my benchmarks and goals up tomorrow at some point. I really hope this journal will keep me on track.
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 06:30:35 AM »
I knew I never should have mentioned the Pilates machine on the forum.  :) You see, I have a few minor knee pains (minor jumper's knee) and so my mom (who is very experienced with knee injuries having had several herself and then reconditioning them to run marathons again) recommended a few exercises to me. So far it has helped me very much, and so I will continue to use it for a while longer.

Pilates machines and isolation movements have a lot of benefits when you are recovering from an injury.  I didn't see you mention an injury which is why I asked.  I would recommend exercises like the one you are doing to overcome a problem with jumpers knee.

DO keep in mind though that you would need to rest your knees a bit more than your mother did since your sport is much higher impact than distance running.

That said, I think I'm shooting for about a 6-9 inch increase in both my vertical jump and my broad jump by the beginning of Summer. I would like to be able to pump out 6-7 solid ring muslce ups, and 5 solid climb ups by the end of this month as well. Like I said before, I will benchmark on Monday March 9.

Sounds good - I look forward to hearing where your benchmarks are right now.  When you get everything sorted out put it into a list format that way u can cross things off.  Writing things down and crossing them off is a very powerful tool for the psyche.

PS - Start taking fish oil - combined EPA/DHA of 2000 mg or more - especially if you have jumper's knee.

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 08:06:33 PM »
No problem Chris. Thanks so much for the help in pushing me to reach my goals. I must say that my knees have been in a lot of pain lately, and as a result, I will not be doing any intense conditioning or training for the next week. I'll be doing my jumper's knee exercises only, icing twice a day, and resting a LOT. Since I am going to LA to train next week, I will not be following my normal training schedule. Thus, I will begin posting my goals, benchmarks and regular conditioning/training sessions when I get back the following week. I want to try and keep my progress with some of these goals pure so that I can look back and really be proud of myself. I'll post back on this thread once I'm back on a regular schedule.
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.