Author Topic: Bar Muscle Ups  (Read 4610 times)

Offline Bubblemaker

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Bar Muscle Ups
« on: June 04, 2006, 02:35:41 AM »
I was wondering why bar muscle ups as described in Demon's drill of the month are not included in the WOD. It seems they are a very applicable exercise to parkour and as much equipment is needed to do ordinary pullups. Other than that it is not an extremely difficult exercise, I can do muscle ups but I can't do proper pistols, and they are also included in the WOD. Substitutions are also not very difficult, one could use a chair (or another way) to get to the top position and then do a negative, or do jumping muscle ups if one can reach the ground, or as a last result sub with dips and pullups. The move does require some skill but what is wrong with that?

Gearsighted

Re: Bar Muscle Ups
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 05:46:58 AM »
I've been meaning to add them to the WOD for a while now, but never have. Funny that you find them easier than pistols, as I can do 15 pistols with each leg but still have a hard time with consistently accomplishing muscle-ups on a bar!

Now that you've reminded me, look out for them in a workout this week! They are definitely very applicable to the fitness we are seeking, thanks for the reminder! :D

Offline Bubblemaker

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 07:40:07 AM »
That's so very cool  :)

Offline coastal96

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 06:11:10 AM »
I have difficulty with bar muscle ups but can do them on a wall.  It must be partially mental as I have issues with the transition from the pull-up to the dip on a bar.  There is a soccer goal that I sometimes do my pull-ups for the WOD on that I may try a muscle-up on and see how that goes.  Not quite a bar and not quite a wall.

Offline Bubblemaker

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 10:46:33 AM »
If you're tall enough you might be able to assist the muscle ups with a jump so you get a feeling for the transition. It's important that you get your chest over the bar. I assisted a few muscle ups a day with a jump for a few days and then I was able to do them unsupported.

Offline PrincessPK

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 02:24:46 PM »
How about doing them using momentum from your hips like that guy from Crossfit does?

He's like simultaneously driving his legs and hips in opposite direction and using that to create lift.

http://www.crossfitnorcal.com/gallery/galleryDisplay.php?show=video&videoID=61

I'll have to try it out, but it seems easier than just swinging back and forth when first learning the move.
Strenght & Honor,
Joe

Gearsighted

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 04:24:35 PM »
Haha, that's actually just a big fat pullup, he doesn't quite transition to the press, but it's still an impressive show of hip coordination ;)

Offline PrincessPK

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 04:30:19 PM »
Hah yea, but couldn't we do the same for bar muscle ups? With the height he is getting it seems like it would be very easy to make the transition.

Given - I probably lack the coordination to do that. I'll still try and tell you how it went though.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 04:32:08 PM by PrincessPK »
Strenght & Honor,
Joe

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 09:01:07 PM »
For anyone struggling to get a good bar muscle up or if you want to beef up on your technique :):

Bar muscle ups from a dead hang are easier if you use a false grip. Kipping pullups all the way to support don't need a false grip because of its rotation around the wrist which will pop it up pretty much automatically if you are pulling down.

On a wall, you don't need a false grip because your wrists can already rotate to the position and be on top of the wall to support you. On a bar, your wrists are below the bar when you start. By taking a false grip, it partially gets your wrists up so that you only have to partially rotate them (one less thing to worry about). The transition is relatively "complex" -- right when you hit the transition when you power up with a pullup, you have to simultaneously:

1. lean forward over the body
2. pull your elbows from in front of you to your armpits
3. rotate your wrists on top of the bar to support you

It is very much similar to a muscle up on rings. The wrist problem is common. It is one of tne of the many problems I see with people trying to learn kips in gymnastics is that they fail to rotate their wrists in kips, which makes them fall off of the high bar/uneven bars backwards. They won't be able to support themselves because their center of gravity is put behind the bar if the wrists are not on top.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book