Author Topic: balance exercises  (Read 5750 times)

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: balance exercises
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 08:59:45 PM »
balance is complex? i thought it was just keeping your COG over the point of contact as long as you can and let your proprioception deal with it
PK4LIFE!

Offline Daniel Faulkner

• Guenons
  • pierced one
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 09:40:10 AM »
Something that I've noticed when walking on a rail.  When you are taking your next step.  Swing your leg out and around in a half oval and point your toes.  IF  you do this instead of just picking up your feet and putting them back down it will increase your stability.  The swing alows  you to keep you weight centered over the rail.  The pointing toe will keep all of your leg muscles tense and therefore increase stability.
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Not all who wander are lost. J.R. Tolkien

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 02:13:07 PM »
Twitch Kid, think about it how does your body do that act of balancing, you mention proprioception, you realize that proprioception is complex right? Well balancing  process of the brain using mainly visual, and proprioceptive information to know were it is in space, the inner ear canals are especially important in transmiting the needed information to the brain but our brain uses all the bodies mechanorecptors to formulate balance.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 02:20:25 PM »
I don't know, you should PM the guy that can balance a cell phone, or sunglasses on his nose. And a plank of wood on his chin. I'm sure he knows alot about balance.

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 02:42:59 PM »
Twitch Kid, think about it how does your body do that act of balancing, you mention proprioception, you realize that proprioception is complex right? Well balancing  process of the brain using mainly visual, and proprioceptive information to know were it is in space, the inner ear canals are especially important in transmiting the needed information to the brain but our brain uses all the bodies mechanorecptors to formulate balance.

He was being Sarcastic (where is that smiley!!)

Offline Maltise

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2006, 02:43:33 PM »
When I train with dumbells in a gym, I balance on them. Like whenever I do an exercise standing up, I'll pick out a 15 to 10 pound weight, set it vertically (flat side up) and balance on one foot while I work my triceps or biceps. I alternate feet per set of the exercise.
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right."
--Adidas

Offline ~Bry~

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 04:35:41 PM »
My two favorite balance exercises:

Tie a rope tightly between two trees and practice standing and then walking on it. you WILL fall, but practice makes perfect.

Ride the public transit(metro, subway, bus etc.) and stand up the whole ride without holding the rail. Make sure it is at a time the lines aren't busy so you dont fall on anyone and hurt them.
“I think about the meaning of pain. Pain is personal. It really belongs to the one feeling it. Probably the only thing that is your own. I like mine.”-Henry Rollins

Offline DistortedTruth

• Patas
  • The wannabe admin...and the lovable posting whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2006, 04:41:03 PM »
Dunno if this has been said, but:

gear told me walking on all fours down a stair works balance.  I tried it.  Yeah...it does.  LOL.
The world is our playground.  PK.
-Nick

Offline FrostBite795

• Guenons
  • The Balancing Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2006, 10:41:01 PM »

(center photo copyright JumpOffMyRoof)

Haha, CyanideSoda, I'm flattered you'd mention me.  Sadly, this skill doesn't translate directly to bodily balance.  I can't say much more than twitchkidd said before-- if you keep the contact point directly below the center of gravity, it balances.  One thing I can say for sure is that balance takes practice-- this isn't an inborn talent.
Some laws are made to be broken.  Like gravity.

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2006, 05:02:02 AM »
Yea you are def a rock star with the balancing, the yo-yo tricks, juggling, etc, FrostBite. So, would balancing things on your face translate to balancing on your face on the ground?? You could look at it as having to keep the Earth's center of gravity over the contact point... right?  ;D

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs