Author Topic: Getting started  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Vanilla_luv

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Getting started
« on: June 01, 2006, 10:54:21 AM »
Hey everyone, I live in the Flint area and I'm interested in gettin into parkour.  Only problem is I have never done this before, and I have no idea how to get started, or if there's even anyone in my area who does it.  Are there like "parkour clubs" or do you just practice on your own.  Any input would be appreciated!

Offline michiganparkour

• Patas
  • WHAAAAAAT
    • View Profile
Re: Getting started
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:31:53 AM »
practice on youre own basicly
Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline SkyNative

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 01:56:18 PM »
Hey, welcome vanilla_liv.
A good place to start is this post: http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,1182.0.html
I haven't heard for anyone in Flint, but I know there's people in the general vacinity. Check out the "List of Michigan Traceurs" topic to see who.
Typically practitioners in an area form a clan or group, but they are always open to newcomers. If you can't find anyone near you then I suggest starting out on your own, at playgrounds or other structures you may find. Remember to keep it small first and get the basics solid.
There are some good tutorials on some commons techniques here: http://www.americanparkour.com/content/category/4/60/214/
But don't be limited by those techniques, parkour can incorporate almost any move you can think of that aids in getting you over or around an obstacle quickly.
Have fun and be safe.

-Levi

Offline Matthew Menze

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 05:28:13 PM »
Yeah, Just read a crapload of tut's and then go try them...Start small, but always push yourself a little bit. You'll improve like mad.

As for doing it with people...If you can't find people, drag them into it...just get one of your friends to go on a few runs with you...they might like it as much as you (this is what i did). I really don't like running alone, just aint the same as when your pushing yourself to meet or better your friend...and when you can help each other out...plus, if you screw up bad...you got somone to drag you home.

Matt
"With my feet upon the ground, I lose myself
 between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out, I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. "

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 06:02:22 PM »
Lol you said "aids". Now to the point. I had the same problem; I really didn't know where to start. I just went out and started jumping over my dog house, then i started vaulting it. After i got a couple of freinds into it we hit up some playgrounds.

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline Matthew Menze

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 02:42:43 AM »
I guess I had a one up on most of you...my cousin got into it...and i started to follow him, we didn't practise, but i seen what it was all about before i really got into it.
"With my feet upon the ground, I lose myself
 between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out, I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. "

Offline Cobotacular

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 04:50:36 AM »
im from the downriver area and a good way to get started is if you can try to go to a gymnastics gym on open gym night and just try flips and stuff to get comfortable with the feeling. Good training area would be a playground. nothing too high at all if you wanna try jumping from heights. there is basic gaps, vaults everything