Author Topic: French?  (Read 5712 times)

Offline Zooomz

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
French?
« on: February 10, 2009, 04:54:17 PM »
So how much French has everybody learned doing Parkour? I know some people already know French, but I think I've actually learned a little from the basic Parkour terms. If anyone saw Jeopardy tonight, a question was asked about ballet. It was about "something de chat" and what animal it got its name from and I knew (guessed) it was cat. (Well, maybe they are cognates, but meh...)

Anyway, how has Parkour added to your knowledge of French? Has it influenced you to take French in High School/College/on your own? Has Parkour somehow led you to learning any other languages (like travelling overseas to other countries)?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:56:00 PM by Zooomz »

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
Re: French?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 05:09:08 PM »
Well, I've always wanted to go to France... now I just want to go more, and visit Lisses while I'm there. I already speak enough French to hold a conversation with a French person though.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline Dustin Smith

• Mangabey
  • 417-343-7111 call or txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:01:05 PM »
actually im trying to teach myself(it isnt working) but as soon as i get a job im totally buying Rosetta stone

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:11:26 PM »
Umm, it's helping me to not forget the little bit I learned in high school and college. Does that count?
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.

Offline Greg Davis

• Mangabey
  • MOpk Creator and Admin
    • View Profile
    • MOpk
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 09:16:41 PM »
It's making me forget my terrible German experience... worst 4 years of a foreign language EVER. I would not suggest it. Anyway, I have learned such things as lache (i think i know what it means ha)
I always face north, therefore I have no guides other than my body and mind. By always facing north I am always moving forward and up, regardless of the obstacle in my path.

Offline Brandan Mendenhall

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 07:58:41 AM »
It's making me forget my terrible German experience... worst 4 years of a foreign language EVER. I would not suggest it. Anyway, I have learned such things as lache (i think i know what it means ha)

German is amazing, why wouldn't you recommend it?

But Zooomz, that's really cool that you were able to pick up on that and make the connection. Props to you! Maybe you should start studying the language more in-depth? Being bi-lingual--in any other language--is awesome, trust me.
Your obstacle is my shortcut.

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 12:42:59 PM »

He probably had a bad experience with his teachers. Foreign language education in American public schools is absolute crap, it seems (in my experience and observations). I learned more from just speaking at home with my parents, watching movies, and reading books in French. I suppose I got the concepts at school, but no useful practice or application due to the crap curriculum.

And all my friends complain about all of their Spanish teachers. It's just ridiculous that the most America, the most diversely connected country in the world, has such crappy inter-cultural connections.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 01:33:35 PM »

He probably had a bad experience with his teachers. Foreign language education in American public schools is absolute crap, it seems (in my experience and observations). I learned more from just speaking at home with my parents, watching movies, and reading books in French. I suppose I got the concepts at school, but no useful practice or application due to the crap curriculum.

And all my friends complain about all of their Spanish teachers. It's just ridiculous that the most America, the most diversely connected country in the world, has such crappy inter-cultural connections.

Indeed. The problem with most foreign language classes is the teachers don't spend enough time on actual conversation or speaking practice. It's usually just: memorize this, do this worksheet, take this test, repeat. It's just not all that constructive for real life application. That's probably why you learned more with your parents and watching movies, etc. While memorizing vocab is essential as well, actually hearing the language, and responding (or even attempting to) is much more productive.

It could be that he just had a tough time with the language, though, and thus with the class as well, regardless of curriculum. I do love German, but it's not exactly the easiest.

Offline Jacob Wood

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 05:33:40 PM »

Indeed. The problem with most foreign language classes is the teachers don't spend enough time on actual conversation or speaking practice. It's usually just: memorize this, do this worksheet, take this test, repeat. It's just not all that constructive for real life application. That's probably why you learned more with your parents and watching movies, etc. While memorizing vocab is essential as well, actually hearing the language, and responding (or even attempting to) is much more productive.

It could be that he just had a tough time with the language, though, and thus with the class as well, regardless of curriculum. I do love German, but it's not exactly the easiest.

actually Spanish at my high school is great (one of the only ones that is) we have two teachers, ones from Columbia south America, and the other is Puerta Rican. Spanish is there first language so even though there English is not perfect ive learned a lot of Spanish so far.  oh and yes im thinking about taking french too next year

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 06:34:37 PM »

actually Spanish at my high school is great (one of the only ones that is) we have two teachers, ones from Columbia south America, and the other is Puerta Rican. Spanish is there first language so even though there English is not perfect ive learned a lot of Spanish so far.  oh and yes im thinking about taking french too next year

Brendan hit the nail on the head perfectly. I love German, although the four cases make it really confusing. For a few years I had a teacher who was actually FROM germany. Loved her. Now? American-born, not that there is anything wrong with that, but she's a whack job. Message me if you really want to know the stories.

Ich liebe Deutch, Deutschland, und Deutscher. :)
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 07:30:41 AM »

Right, so they were native speakers. Which means you probably had more direct exposure to actual spoken words than most kids, and that's great. That's why my Japanese classes went so well; my teacher was natvie Okinawan.

Offline pk_huissen

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 07:41:50 AM »
haha well I am a student from Holland and because I live in Holland I get taught french at school:)
I'm now in my 3rd year of french and I can understand the most things said but can not reply yet:) well, reply in a good way yet...

Offline Greg Davis

• Mangabey
  • MOpk Creator and Admin
    • View Profile
    • MOpk
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 08:17:45 AM »
Actually the style of teaching wasn't bad, most of the time we had to get into groups and come up with skits and scenarios. There was hardly any writing in the fourth year. You're right about the teacher though, this sounds childish but she had it out for me. Even my parents noticed by the end. Even if i did do my work (granted I gave up on that class at the end of the fourth year causing me to fail) she would give me a crap grade for no reason. Plus, when I failed the class, she held up my failure report, how low is that? She got yelled at by the principal about 5 times that year, ha
I always face north, therefore I have no guides other than my body and mind. By always facing north I am always moving forward and up, regardless of the obstacle in my path.

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 09:41:55 AM »
Actually the style of teaching wasn't bad, most of the time we had to get into groups and come up with skits and scenarios. There was hardly any writing in the fourth year. You're right about the teacher though, this sounds childish but she had it out for me. Even my parents noticed by the end. Even if i did do my work (granted I gave up on that class at the end of the fourth year causing me to fail) she would give me a crap grade for no reason. Plus, when I failed the class, she held up my failure report, how low is that? She got yelled at by the principal about 5 times that year, ha

Yeah man, that's messed up :-\. There will always be those bad eggs in the teaching community, unfortunately. I had a science teacher like that in 7th grade. She taught Earth Science, and one day one of her pumice rocks went missing, and she held us after class for over an hour, saying we couldn't leave until someone coughed it up. We were the last class of the day, and all of us missed our bus ride home because of that; she eventually let us go when she found her rock in one of the sinks, saying, "Oh, now I remember putting it there!"

She also called us stupid all the time. Pretty sure she got fired a couple years later lol.

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 02:50:12 PM »
Wow... When Muse sees this topic, she'll freak...
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline Zooomz

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 03:23:23 PM »

But Zooomz, that's really cool that you were able to pick up on that and make the connection. Props to you! Maybe you should start studying the language more in-depth? Being bi-lingual--in any other language--is awesome, trust me.

I would try to learn French, but after 4  years of Spanish (5 counting next year) I want to learn a non-romance/Germanic language. In my opinion learning a language at high school depends on who your teacher is. I've had some pretty good teachers so far, so I can't really complain. What I would agree with is the lack of practicing the language. We do some, but the focus is more on learning the vocab and reading literature now (though most people are just sitting through).

Brandan, if I had missed my bus and she found the rock I would raise ... trouble. That's just... Ugh.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:29:40 PM by Zooomz »

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 05:03:57 PM »
Right, so they were native speakers. Which means you probably had more direct exposure to actual spoken words than most kids, and that's great. That's why my Japanese classes went so well; my teacher was natvie Okinawan.

Native speakers are good, but it's no guarantee of their teaching ability. I've had several french teachers over the past three years (more than three; I think I've had 5 or 6 teachers) and the best two were non-native speakers, but they were the best at teaching. All the rest were native speakers, from diverse backgrounds (one from Senegal, one from Cameroon, one from Belgium, and one from... Mexico. That one didn't speak a word of French, actually. She wasn't even fluent in English either; I have no idea how she got the job.)...  but I learned next to nothing from them, except for the one this year, who is from Belgium. But she is still not as good as the two American teachers were.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 05:28:25 PM »
Hehe. This thread makes me chuckle.

:)

She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

b5200

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 06:34:05 PM »
I'm teaching myself French and something that helps is nonsensical insults.  Tu frere est paresseux(might be a second r).

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 09:35:58 PM »
I'm teaching myself French and something that helps is nonsensical insults.  Tu frere est paresseux(might be a second r).
I think that's right. :)

The insult thing is fun. My favorite was always "Va tu et faites cuire un oeuf." Not sure I got the right verb tense there, but it means "Go cook an egg!"
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.