Author Topic: Work on something March  (Read 4852 times)

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
Work on something March
« on: February 10, 2009, 02:39:38 PM »
Here's the idea.  March is coming up, march is generally the beginning of spring etc...  Spring involves new beginnings.  So here's what you're going to do this march.  Think of one thing that you want to improve upon.  For me that one thing is going to be the one arm chinup since I can't do parkour anymore.  Other good examples of things to work on, kongs: work on getting as much distance and power as you can.  Climb ups: This is by far the most under worked thing in parkour.  There's no reason that somebody who has been doing parkour for a few months shouldn't have really good climb ups (unless you don't have a pullup bar or wall). 

Whatever you decide to work on, think about, and ask people what the best way to achieve that goal is.  We'll use the climb up example again, here is what you should be doing to make them better: weighted pullups, weighted dips, muscle ups, actual climb up practice.  Those are all the obvious things.  Now, you will also need to work on the mental aspect of whatever it is that you are going to improve.  So for climb ups you should be watching as many climb up videos and tutorials as you can.  For instance http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/883/245/             

Another important mental aspect: I want you to visualize what it is that you are going for.  When you're sitting on the bus going to school, imagine in your head what you are going to look like when you're doing a good climbup.  It's been proven that visualizing an action uses most of the same neurons and brain areas as actually doing the action itself. 

Now you know what to do.  Oh yeah and don't forget to take a before and after video of whatever it is that you are training and at the end of march post them up so that we can see the difference.  If you have any questions about how to improve something just ask in the appropriate section, and I guarantee somebody will answer your question shortly.

Offline John VO

• Guenons
  • *Smile, smile*
    • View Profile
Re: Work on something March
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 02:46:15 PM »
I'm going to improve everything I do, but I'm going to focus on my rolls. My inability to do rolls correctly is not only holding me back, but probably harming my body as well.

BUT GO TEAM IMPROVEMENTS! YEAH!

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 05:23:16 PM »
I'll already be working on these through February but I'll extend them into March as well...

1) Back to basics on rolls. My hip bone is starting to get all bruised up again because my form is degrading, especially on concrete. So I'm planning to start at scratch again by working them on grass, then dirt, then asphalt/concrete. I'll add something new in the form of video when I can get it, to actually see myself and check the form. I have a particular spot where I leap and roll that always leaves me aching so when I can do that without pain I'll know I've hit the mark.

2) RUN. But not just any old jogging, I want to work on my recovery speed, so I can sprint as fast as possible and then recharge quickly. I plan to lay out several 30 second runs around my college campus and sprint through them, then repeat as necessary. The gimmick is that the runs will have as many obstacles as possible within them, but especially ones that don't require much arm work, instead focusing on footwork and fast, precise steps. A few "suicide runs" on a basketball court will also help. My goal is to be able to do one of the 30 second runs without keeling over in exhaustion afterwards.

As a bonus, I'm going to put more effort into my writing, especially parkour/fitness related stuff. I'm sure people are dying for the next installment of "The Forgotten Movements."  :-Sarcasm

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 05:44:05 PM »
For me that one thing is going to be the one arm chinup since I can't do parkour anymore. 

Wait... what???

Here's the idea.  March is coming up, march is generally the beginning of spring etc...  Spring involves new beginnings.  So here's what you're going to do this march.  Think of one thing that you want to improve upon. 

Mine will be a pull up. Duh. :) What else would it be? ;)

She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 05:56:35 PM »
Mine is going to be... Flow. Or Horizontal Flag.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline PKAB

• Mangabey
  • Do a Barrel Roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 06:01:12 PM »
Climb ups definitly. I have them down but I need to get them faster.
Perfection is a flaw.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 06:13:58 PM »
Mine will be a pull up. Duh. :Smiley: What else would it be?

I'm with you on this, pull-ups ftw!  I also want to get up to 30 miles a week running.

Offline Everett McClain

• Patas
  • Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 12:48:52 PM »
2) RUN. But not just any old jogging, I want to work on my recovery speed, so I can sprint as fast as possible and then recharge quickly. I plan to lay out several 30 second runs around my college campus and sprint through them, then repeat as necessary. The gimmick is that the runs will have as many obstacles as possible within them, but especially ones that don't require much arm work, instead focusing on footwork and fast, precise steps. A few "suicide runs" on a basketball court will also help. My goal is to be able to do one of the 30 second runs without keeling over in exhaustion afterwards.

Thats a really good idea. Recover time is never something i thought to work on. its generally not something i worry about, but it is definatly something that would be good to work on.
Any obstacles you can suggest?
"Everyday Men and Women are the World are seen Climbing Scaffolding and Jumping off Walls.

For Them The City Is A Gaint Jungle Gym And Recess Lasts Forever." - New York Parkour ~ Physical Graffiti

Proud to still be a kid out the

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 03:40:24 PM »

Thats a really good idea. Recover time is never something i thought to work on. its generally not something i worry about, but it is definatly something that would be good to work on.
Any obstacles you can suggest?

Forests are great for this sort of thing. All those trees, close together, fallen logs and branches, rocks, you get the idea. If that's not an option any decent sized outdoor staircase can work - go up, down, across, zig zag, etc. Rock piles are good too but you have to be extra, EXTRA careful that you don't roll an ankle.

Offline Marshall Cent Lewis

• Mangabey
  • PKVA - Richmond, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 06:44:43 AM »
I'm gonna have to crush some climb-ups.  Mine are horrible right now both in form and in power.
USMC Combat Engineers
Nut up or shut up!

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 01:28:59 PM »
Basic rolls and diving rolls.  Backward rolls.  Sideways rolls.  Upside... down... rolls...  [WTF]  You get the idea.  By the end of March, I'll really be on a roll. ;-)

Climb-ups would be good, too.  Since rolls are not very physically demanding, there's no reason not to work on climb-ups.  I've lost a lot of upper body strength over the winter, especially with falling at work at messing up my neck (long, embarrassing story).

Cheers, everybody!  I look forward to seeing how we all progress.
Queen of Puns

Offline Mitch Hamilton

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 02:27:47 PM »
Well, I'm going to be working on the fundamentals this upcoming March. Not much to say bout yourself if you cannot even do the basics.

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 02:39:59 PM »
I was planning on working OACs, but every time I try to train them I experience some elbow pain and have to stop.  So I'm going to work on rail control instead.  Rail balance, precisions, pivots, squats, plants, etc.  Basically anything I can think to do on my rail trainer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline Zooomz

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 03:28:32 PM »
I'm starting from the basics and conditioning. Rolls, landings, and workouts. I definitely want to work on my running speed and endurance. March Madness? Work on something March is more like work on everything March to me...

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 04:03:04 PM »
Climb ups, muscle ups, and precisions. My climb ups aren't bad, but they could be a lot better. And my precisions are... embarrassing. I've got the distance down (8 feet), but my accuracy... sucks... a lot. Precisions are definitely my weakest point.

Of course all of this is in conjunction with my new workout schedule and all the miscellaneous technique practice that I'm going to be doing this spring.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline Bryan Bull (Shinobi Wolf)

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Life is better upsidedown
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 09:27:59 AM »
I wanna work on my gaps / precisions, getting more distance as well as landing them in a more upright stable position instead of hunched or crouched position.

Also I want to start working into a different aspect, so start thinking less of the efficiency and more of the self expression (i.e. look at an obstacle and apply my own ideas on what I feel can be preformed on said structure) 
Hit the ground rollin'

Offline Jacquis "Curfew"

• Mangabey
  • CSRD patient
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 03:38:21 PM »
My plan's gots to be those climb ups and some balance annnnd rolls cause i had injured my back a lil tryna do one the other day so its time for some vengence...heh heh heh

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 04:12:04 PM »
Handstands and front levers.

Offline Dylan Baker

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 04:33:05 PM »
dead hang muscle ups (still use a swing)
360 rail precision
30 second handstand (stationary)

hopefully i'll get around to making a video of my progress, we'll see.

"You put water into a cup, it becomes the cup;  you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle; you put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.  Now water can flow or water can crash, be water my friend."

-Bruce Lee

Offline Everett McClain

• Patas
  • Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 06:23:26 PM »
My Pledge is to work on three things,

1. Recovery Time <discussed earlier in thread>
2. Rolling so that I DON'T kill my spine (Found a nice video on advanced Rolling if anyone wants the link)
3. Front Flip [I already have it down, i just need to work on landing it...]
"Everyday Men and Women are the World are seen Climbing Scaffolding and Jumping off Walls.

For Them The City Is A Gaint Jungle Gym And Recess Lasts Forever." - New York Parkour ~ Physical Graffiti

Proud to still be a kid out the