Author Topic: I jumped off a (blank) and now my (blank hurts), now what?  (Read 30310 times)

Offline Ken PKChiro

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Vital Balance Chiropractic, LLC
I jumped off a (blank) and now my (blank hurts), now what?
« on: February 07, 2009, 10:47:49 PM »
Under no circumstances do we condone, or are impressed when:

1.  You are not adequately trained/conditioned for the drop as seen by the fact that you hurt yourself while doing it.
2.  You were or are showing off during your drop, or posting here about it to boost your ego.

The answer is uniformly---DO NOT TAKE DROPS.

Drops are defined roughly by your level of conditioning.  But in general you should never take a drop greater than the height of your body.  Some argue that even this is too much.

The last point:

Pain does NOT equal Injury.  Injury can occur without pain.  If you hurt yourself from a drop, likely you've done far more damage than you are aware of, and WILL suffer the consequences of the drop much earlier than you expect.  Consequences of drops may include:

Herniated discs
Paralysis
Fractures stable and unstable
Schmorl's nodes
Notochordal impressions
Neuritis, neurolgical compromise and losses
severe and chronic injuries/pain
Loss of sensory and motor functions
Concussions
Chronic headaches
Amnesia
Death
and worse.

Train Safe.  Be smart.
Any information or advice given is not to be interpreted as diagnosis, or statements of causality, conditions should be evaluated by a licensed practitioner of Chiropractic or Medical Doctor IN PERSON.  Therefore treatment recommendation should be considered similarly and bears no consequence to me.

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
Re: I jumped off a (blank) and now my (blank hurts), now what?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 10:51:01 PM »
+1. Thank you.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline TR

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 12:38:32 AM »
Death
and worse.

haha I don't think anything is worse than Death O.o

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 07:59:56 AM »
Death
and worse.

I disagree. Imagine a long life of chronic, intense pain.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Jason vonGermeten

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • If it is, then Kick it.
    • View Profile
    • The other thing I do, yeah?
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 03:31:48 PM »
Yeah.. I was about to get to thinking that..
At any rate, it'll probably kill you.

Offline TR

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 06:51:46 PM »
Death
and worse.

Speaking of Chronic pain, check this out: http://www.movnat.com/

You can read everything on the site fairly quickly, it's pretty interesting,

"Are you experiencing chronic pains, are you overweight, do you often feel depressed or do you suffer from frequent illnesses and general lack of vitality?

These symptoms indicate that you are experiencing the zoo human syndrome. Modern society conditions us to think that this is normal and unavoidable. "

Then check out their vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKGF-ErsJiI&feature=PlayList&p=F4C44B0CFFFB4E2F&playnext=1&index=31

Erwan Le Corre is a beast haha

edit- but then again, if you think about either having chronic pain, or dying, think of everyone else.. Your friends, family etc. I think it would be much better being able to live with chronic pain and still be able to interact with your friends/family, rather then dying, and your friends/family grieving your death, if you know what I mean. It's not just about yourself :P
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 07:02:04 PM by TaylorR89 »

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 02:34:28 PM »
Death
and worse.

Speaking of Chronic pain, check this out: http://www.movnat.com/

You can read everything on the site fairly quickly, it's pretty interesting,

"Are you experiencing chronic pains, are you overweight, do you often feel depressed or do you suffer from frequent illnesses and general lack of vitality?

These symptoms indicate that you are experiencing the zoo human syndrome. Modern society conditions us to think that this is normal and unavoidable. "

Then check out their vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKGF-ErsJiI&feature=PlayList&p=F4C44B0CFFFB4E2F&playnext=1&index=31

Erwan Le Corre is a beast haha

edit- but then again, if you think about either having chronic pain, or dying, think of everyone else.. Your friends, family etc. I think it would be much better being able to live with chronic pain and still be able to interact with your friends/family, rather then dying, and your friends/family grieving your death, if you know what I mean. It's not just about yourself :P
Wow, intense.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 11:10:45 AM by Shamas »
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌ยง▌
Now this is happening!
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,14576.180.html

Offline Adam Doll

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Holmes County Traceur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 11:41:45 AM »
Pain does NOT equal Injury.  Injury can occur without pain.  If you hurt yourself from a drop, likely you've done far more damage than you are aware of, and WILL suffer the consequences of the drop much earlier than you expect.

I am honestly starting to get scared away from parkour after looking through some of these injury threads. . . I can not afford to lose my job this summer(which requires manual labor) due to an injury.  My bones seem to break easier than most people; I might just refrain from parkour till I go back to college this fall.   :-\
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 01:19:41 PM by HC Traceur »
"One thing is certain.  If you do only what you feel like doing, your life will be miserable and you will be a failure."
-Matthew Kelly

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 12:48:20 PM »
Pain does NOT equal Injury.  Injury can occur without pain.  If you hurt yourself from a drop, likely you've done far more damage than you are aware of, and WILL suffer the consequences of the drop much earlier than you expect.

I am honestly starting to get scared away from parkour after looking through some of these injury threads. . . I can not afford to lose my job this summer(which requires manual labor) due to an injury.  My bones seem to break easier than most people; I might just refrain from parkour till I go back to college this fall.   :- 

Nothing to worry about. Many Traceurs don't include drops in their Parkour.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 05:30:11 AM »
Yeah, this seems scary because we have an injury section. What we don't have is a "non-injury" section where people can post and say, "I trained all day today, and my body feels great!" because that is the norm (assuming proper training). So don't let the presence of an injury section deter you.

Train smart, progress slowly, check your surfaces, and examine and respect your natural fear reactions to things, and you will be fine.

Yes, parkour is risky and can be dangerous, but no more so than any other physical activity.

If your bones break easily, you might want to talk to a doctor and/or make some dietary changes to address that.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 06:14:21 AM »
HC Traceur - If you always train responsibly then you will almost never get injured in your training. Training responsibly to me means only doing things that will make you stronger, not accepting any unnecessary risk, and always keeping in mind the fact that while you only have one body, there is always another day to try something.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Adam Doll

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Holmes County Traceur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 03:48:18 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the responses; I will just try to remember not to attempt anything I don't feel comfortable with.   
"One thing is certain.  If you do only what you feel like doing, your life will be miserable and you will be a failure."
-Matthew Kelly

Offline Trevor

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 05:28:43 AM »
Well I have been following the old Yamakasi rule, don't drop off of something you can't jump onto for your first year... Is that safe? I have been told that first year is just to condition your body.

I honestly have one major goal in life, and I will do whatever I can to accomplish it.

Offline Timothy Chen Allen

• Patas
  • "The limits are further out than you think"
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 05:41:25 AM »
Well I have been following the old Yamakasi rule, don't drop off of something you can't jump onto for your first year... Is that safe? I have been told that first year is just to condition your body.
I heard something like, don't drop off anything unless you could do it in bare feet.  Of course, that's a judgement call, and my judgement can be skewed in a moment of hubris.  So maybe your rule is better.
Timothy Chen Allen
"The limits are further out than you think"
Washington, DC
Facebook:TimothyChenAllen
My training log
President's Challenge Parkour Group

Offline Mr.WWII

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Do what you can't, Parkour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 03:19:46 PM »

I always hear this "1st year" stuff, and it's misleading because it doesn't account for any prior sports conditioning. I began parkour as an extremely fit individual, with years of strength training and athletics under my belt. I would imagine that many other practitioners are also beginning Parkour in great shape, because athletes are always looking for a new thrill.

My point is just to assess your own abilities, before you follow a "1st year" sort of rule. If you know you're out of shape and havn't been active in a long time, then yes, condition more first. But if you have glutes of steel, run marathons, and do a million pull ups, then there's no reason for you to "soley condition for your 1st year." Get out there and start vaulting everything in sight, you probably won't have much trouble with it.

Offline Trevor

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 05:15:49 PM »
I wasn't the fittest guy on October 31st, 2008. But the past year or so have taught me a lot, and sure I might not be as tone as some guys, but I'm sure as hell stronger, faster, and have more endurance than a lot of them. But I followed the 1 year thing and I'm still not dropping off of very high things. The high drops thing was clouding my judgment for my first... 4 or so months, then I found APK. lol

I honestly have one major goal in life, and I will do whatever I can to accomplish it.

Offline Impulse1990

• Patas
  • Limits are meant to be passed
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 09:37:06 AM »
it all depends on what your comfortable doing, i can jump off a 10-12ft no problem hit the roll and feel no pain i dont go much past that because ive never tried.  dont go out of your comfort zone and work up to things.

Offline Ken PKChiro

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Vital Balance Chiropractic, LLC
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 04:16:15 PM »
No it doesn't depend entirely on what you are comfortable doing.  And feeling no pain is not an accurate indicator to damage.  As I've mentioned in the past, you can create severe damage to the disc, the bones above and below the disc, and yet still FEEL NO PAIN. 
Any information or advice given is not to be interpreted as diagnosis, or statements of causality, conditions should be evaluated by a licensed practitioner of Chiropractic or Medical Doctor IN PERSON.  Therefore treatment recommendation should be considered similarly and bears no consequence to me.

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 12:18:32 PM »
Ken I admire the battle that you are facing. I've given up on trying to explain the dangers of taking drops without the proper strength, technique, and experience.

Offline Joseph Gorman Pugh

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Vaulting things in ridiculous looking hats!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 06:10:26 PM »
By drops I assume you mean landing without rolling?
As long as its about movement, there is no right or wrong answers to what Parkour is.