Author Topic: Sick  (Read 8851 times)

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
Re: Sick
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2009, 04:57:56 PM »
Off topic? Lol this thing is just about 2 months old! Besides, I already got my answer and am much better by now :P

I have a feeling bears would be more interested in the sugar than the nutritional value of honey :D. With the previous statement however, it's already been said that nothing will speed up the course of a cold (and nothing should for the sake of getting rid of it correctly). All that can be done is to minimize the symptoms and even those are there to help get rid of the cold...

Thanks for caring though. :) lol
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour: my anti-drug
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2009, 05:08:28 PM »
no problem dude lol

and i dont know, honey has been foudn to be antibacterial, and ive found putting it on cuts will heal them a LOT faster than using neosporin

the darker the honey the more antibacterial properties it contains
"Though all the world may hate us, we are named.
The shadow overtake us, we are known
We're more than carbon and chemicals
Free will is ours and we can't let go
We are the image of the invisible"
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2009, 06:47:04 AM »
no problem dude lol

and i dont know, honey has been foudn to be antibacterial, and ive found putting it on cuts will heal them a LOT faster than using neosporin

Source? 

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2009, 02:15:24 PM »
no problem dude lol

Source? 

lots of different websites, i looked it up like four months ago, on a different computer, so no chance of pulling the same hting up again

idk

try webmd or something
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 06:00:47 PM »
no problem dude lol

Source? 

lots of different websites, i looked it up like four months ago, on a different computer, so no chance of pulling the same hting up again

idk

try webmd or something
While that kind of response ("read it somewhere long ago, can't find it now") is generally a red flag that often ends up with "I read it on the national enquirer next to 'Texas woman gives birth to alien devil babies'", in this case it's actually true.

People did a bit more rigorous tests comparing honey with just very concentrated sugar and water (which also kills a lot of bacteria of course just by depriving them of water, as food preservers have known for a long time), and find out that the sugar is the main but not the only mechanism that makes honey a good antibacterial, since honey kills a bit more than syrup through a few extra chemicals and mechanisms (it has things like hydrogen peroxide and high oxidation, phenolic acids and general acidity, etc).
You can read more on that early test in the 1998 Infection Journal article:
Causes of the antimicrobial activity of honey.

Still, generally in many cases it's not necessarily a good idea or there could be a lot better things to use, there's a lot of stuff that can be used to kill bacteria, and not all of it is always sanitary, plus you might want to worry about additional things like avoiding scarring etc.
But if you don't have anything better around, no bandages or better disinfectants, and all you have is honey then by all means that might be something to consider (as long as you are not sleeping near ants etc for example :)
Also, you really need to keep in mind that using honey instead of conventional antibacterial agents also introduces a bunch of its own microorganisms, like other bacteria and molds naturally present in it, some of which actually survive the hygroscopicity, hyperosmolarity and acidity of honey. Especially if you have a somewhat compromised immune system you should really be careful in using it just because it 'sounds' more natural. You can read more about that in journal articles and studies like:
Honey: a reservoir for microorganisms and an inhibitory agent for microbes.

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2009, 04:31:25 PM »
well its a good point. but i read a story about this girl that had some weird growth on her neck, and doctors tried everything, including surgery, to get rid of it, but it kept getting worse. she put some honey on it and within two weeks it was completely gone.

also, i scar REALLY easily, i mean, almost every cut i get leaves a scar for about a year, even if i dont pick at it.
i cut my figner down to the bone (at the tip, didnt feel much cuz i play guitar and its pretty numb up there) and my mom was outa antibacterial stuff, so she suggested honey (this is when we did the research because i was very reluctant to do it). i put it on my cut, it healed in four days, and there was absolutely no scarring.

this is unlike the cut i got two years ago that i used meosporin or seomthing like it on, and it scarred, and wasnt as deep (in same spot on opposite hand)
-Thrice

1+1=10