Author Topic: Team StreetStunts trip to California  (Read 5058 times)

Offline Lonnie Tisdale

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • San Diego Parkour, PKCali.com
Re: Team StreetStunts trip to California
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 01:12:25 PM »
But if we didn't do certain things because we were worried about inexperienced people copying us, then no one would be doing drops above 5 feet, no one would really be doing anything but rolls and balancing...

That's a bit of an exaggeration.  I believe that the average practitioner would have a far greater understanding of the most fundamental and vital techniques and would dramatically reduce rate of injury. You can generate enough force from under 5 feet to prepare for any drop you might encounter. As a general rule, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. It would be great if we could spread that ideal.

...but don't let me push my Parkour philosophy on you. As a stunt team, your goals are obviously different. We strive to grow stronger and to last while you strive to maximize performance in as short an amount of time as possible. I totally respect that. Please just take into consideration personal responsibility when you are in public. What you do might effect all of us.

Anyway, great video and props to you all. Perhaps we can jam next time you guys are in Cali!
"Let the fear of danger be a spur to prevent it; he that fears not, gives advantage to the danger."

Offline Lonnie Tisdale

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 03:13:29 PM »
Lol, I guess somebody didn't care for my explanation of the differences in philosophy between Parkour and Street Stunts/Tricking?
"Let the fear of danger be a spur to prevent it; he that fears not, gives advantage to the danger."

Offline Dylan Baker

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 05:21:45 PM »
Lol, I guess somebody didn't care for my explanation of the differences in philosophy between Parkour and Street Stunts/Tricking?

i almost did earlier, but i didn't want to get in an argument about it. i probably wouldn't say that kinda thing on here, there are a lot of people that do tricking, street stunts, freerunning etc. with the philosophy of "to live and to last" and i don't think that making generalizations like you did will make many people happy.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 07:19:23 PM by Dylan Baker »
"You put water into a cup, it becomes the cup;  you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle; you put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.  Now water can flow or water can crash, be water my friend."

-Bruce Lee

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 07:12:42 PM »
Don't we all train for maximal performance gains in a minimal amount of time?  Isn't that the meaning of efficiency?

You are not doing workouts/exercises that have much efficacy if your goal is to make submaximal performance gains in a long period of time :P

Offline Aaron Burns

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 10:02:43 PM »
Uncle Aaron Loves the skill -PKFR
This way of movement is my life, Today is the day you start

Offline Lonnie Tisdale

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 11:31:17 AM »

Certainly there are plenty of people who enjoy the philosophy of PK and still Trick or pursue careers in stunt work. I think that's wonderful. I am a parkour teacher who also does gymnastics and tricking... Still, I recognize that there is a difference in intention when performing stunts.

Jackie Chan is a great example. His work revolutionized the industry and sparked the imaginations of people worldwide. If you watch his outtakes you will see the toll it took on his body but remember he payed that price willingly. If you want to be the next Jackie Chan, you are going to have to pay a price as well.

I don't believe that one path is better than the other. It simply depends on what your goals are.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 02:45:41 PM »
Jackie Chan is a great example. His work revolutionized the industry and sparked the imaginations of people worldwide. If you watch his outtakes you will see the toll it took on his body but remember he payed that price willingly. If you want to be the next Jackie Chan, you are going to have to pay a price as well.

Seriously?  Jackie Chan had some bad experiences, don't get me wrong -- but he is 54 and still doing his own stunts...at least he was when he was 51...

Sounds like, despite all the punishment, he "lasted" pretty well...and he continues to last.

Offline TR

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 03:26:39 PM »

Seriously?  Jackie Chan had some bad experiences, don't get me wrong -- but he is 54 and still doing his own stunts...at least he was when he was 51...

Sounds like, despite all the punishment, he "lasted" pretty well...and he continues to last.

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/iamjackiechan/excerpt_aches.html

:P

Oh, and in response to everyone discussing rolls. Have you ever seen Davids man power gap roll?.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97IYe8RqYQc
Sure doesn't look like a shoulder to opposite side hip to me. Looks more like a "barrel roll" if you ask me :P

Then if you were to look at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYxOLv0FM4o&fmt=18
I think Kaz Uma's roll is more of a shoulder-opposite side hip. I think his roll is very clean as well as his control, technique and strength.

When comparing the two, you can notice a pretty big different. The distance in which they cover when they roll, the direction they move in when they roll (not left/right, but at what angle they move away from their landing) I think both take the landing safely, but their rolls are completely different. Just pointing that out. If anyone objects to what I said please say so :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 03:48:53 PM by TaylorR89 »

Offline Lonnie Tisdale

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 05:20:10 PM »

Yes... he's a very lucky man.

@Taylor: That's an interesting point. It's all relative I guess. Still, who is to say which person took that drop better? The fact that they are both alive a good start but only they know how it felt. Oh yeah, and this might come in handy: David Belle Roll Analysis

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 05:38:51 PM »

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/iamjackiechan/excerpt_aches.html

:P

Seen that before -- still stands that he is 54 and still doing his own stunts despite that.  His job is a stuntman -- the probability of getting hurt is much higher -- but you can still last if you are smart and as safe as possible, despite the stupidity. 

I am not sure that Jackie would have been doing that jump if there was not a whole crew of people there to help him out if shit hit the fan (like it did).

Oh, and in response to everyone discussing rolls. Have you ever seen Davids man power gap roll?.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97IYe8RqYQc
Sure doesn't look like a shoulder to opposite side hip to me. Looks more like a "barrel roll" if you ask me :P

Looks like he went right head over heals on his roll and maybe just untucked a bit early -- the quality of the vid sucks but still looks like he rolled as we were saying above...

I think Kaz Uma's roll is more of a shoulder-opposite side hip. I think his roll is very clean as well as his control, technique and strength.

When comparing the two, you can notice a pretty big different. The distance in which they cover when they roll, the direction they move in when they roll (not left/right, but at what angle they move away from their landing) I think both take the landing safely, but their rolls are completely different. Just pointing that out. If anyone objects to what I said please say so :)

Completely different?  Not really.  The only difference I saw was the DB untucked a bit sooner which made it look like he barrell rolled when he didn't.  Both of them had the same form, imho.  Kaz's looked "better" because the image quality was better, imho.

Compare both DB and Kaz's roll to the roll at 0:54 in this vid and you should see a huge difference.

Offline TR

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »

Looks like he went right head over heals on his roll and maybe just untucked a bit early -- the quality of the vid sucks but still looks like he rolled as we were saying above...

Completely different?  Not really.  The only difference I saw was the DB untucked a bit sooner which made it look like he barrell rolled when he didn't.  Both of them had the same form, imho.  Kaz's looked "better" because the image quality was better, imho.

Compare both DB and Kaz's roll to the roll at 0:54 in this vid and you should see a huge difference.

It looks as if David goes more to his side instead of diagonal direction whereas Kaz appears to roll in a more diagonal fashion. It's hard to tell since they are different angles, I don't think quality has anything to do with it.

After checking over the vids again I don't understand how you think they are the same rolls. It seems as if they both travel different lengths through their rolls, and different direction/angle changes when entering/exiting their rolls, but again hard to tell because they are different angles and David rolls to his right, Kaz rolls to his left :/ Also seems as if the speed of the roll is different as well. Kaz's seems to be a lot faster/rapid, and david's seems slower (Unless there is a speed difference in the vids then that point means nothing, but I think they are both normal speed) Just what it seems like to me anyways

Offline Grant (LOTRFreak993)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2009, 02:04:24 PM »
Nice very fun video

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2009, 09:37:40 AM »
Nobody is giving King David nearly enough credit. Did you see the reverse to cat?

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2009, 11:44:48 PM »
Well, he was just a guest in the vid and he probably isn't reading this (does he even have an account here?).  But anyways, I really want to meet that guy. 

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 09:08:36 AM »
If you want, just PM him on pkcali. I don't use APK that much either :/

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2009, 09:49:33 PM »
Well... I MET HIM LAST SATURDAY!! lol.  He's out though for a while because of an achilles issue. 

Offline Joe *AP*

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2009, 06:01:23 AM »
Spectacular display of skill... That honestly blew my mind.

The reverse vault to cat at the stair well earlier in the video... I watched it 8 times in a row, then made my roomates come watch.

Bravo
"There is no CAN not, only WILL not"