Author Topic: Team StreetStunts trip to California  (Read 5059 times)

Offline Ronster82

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Shalvis Myspace
Team StreetStunts trip to California
« on: January 31, 2009, 10:55:58 AM »
This is our teams trip to California video. Its about 10 minutes long, but you can decide if its worth the watch... Though the best stuff is at the end. We met with a lot of the community including Team Tempest. There will also be a shortened cut version coming out. Enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9inO9yfP03o

Offline Mike Evans AKA "PKSoarer"

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Music Page
Re: Team StreetStunts trip to California
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 01:14:11 PM »
This video's hot!

Let's comment it!!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 01:45:24 AM by PKSoarer »

Offline Zack Bedingfield

• Mangabey
  • iamgustav
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 06:19:04 PM »
hehe sick vid so far.

best ghost ride ive ever seen. lawl
“You do freerunning or parkour, I don’t know, but both are the same. Some people are worried about it, but they are people that don’t train for too long, people that…in terms of training, aren’t mature yet. […] One day I’d like to wake up, open my window, and everyones doing parkour." -Ali Shelton

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 08:24:07 AM »
Too much good stuff to talk about in writing! +++
"The only boundaries you have are the ones that are present with in the constraints of your mind" My quote!

Offline Dylan Baker

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 09:33:43 AM »
i already commented on youtube, but omg i cannot get over that final diving front! sooo siicckk!
"You put water into a cup, it becomes the cup;  you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle; you put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.  Now water can flow or water can crash, be water my friend."

-Bruce Lee

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 11:50:19 AM »
I'm in love with you guys. God damn. Sideflip precisions were sick. Diving fronts were sick. Heccccckkk yeahhhh

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline SkyNative

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 10:09:13 PM »
Nice! I loved the sideflip precisions and double sideflip!
Keep it up guys!

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 03:38:15 AM »
Ok well I did think it was amazing on many levels.  Hope I don't get beat up for this, but it seems to me that your rolls need a lot of work.  I didn't see many that looked like they had correct form. 

The other thing I have to say is that the big jump at 5:11 ish sort of irritated me.  I have been to that exact location.  I have looked down that drop.  And there is absolutely no good reason to have done that.  That went beyond the point of getting a quick adrenaline rush.  Risking your life to that extent is not worth it and truly a foolish thing to do.  I can't fathom how you brought yourself to do it but the fact that you did doesn't gain you respect in my book.

I really did think it was an excellent vid though with some great editing.  The skatepark part and the gostride were hilarious.  The gym part was so sick. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:38:02 PM by Jackson "Entity" Miller »

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 07:14:33 AM »
Entity I kind of half agree with you and half don't. They do plenty of uncalled for stuff, like 5:11, but at the same time, these guys have their control down. Their freerunning technique is very very good, not uncontrolled like so many adrenaline junkies out there. The rolls didn't seem that bad to me at all. 5:46 for example was a great roll.  I think it would be best to assume that with all their pk and fr skills, they have their rolls down too.

•Urban Current Member

Offline Rockwell

• Mangabey
  • "There's alot that I don't know...."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 02:43:08 PM »
It's so hard to comment on a video like this.
NO matter what I say it won't due the video justice. How long have you been training Ron? At what age did you start?

Much love.
What if you fail?
I won't.

"Dude how did you rip your pants?!?!?"
"Well when you travel at the speed of awesome...."

"Fast. Run Fast.Run so God damned fast. Why? Dreams don’t catch themselves."

Offline Ronster82

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Shalvis Myspace
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 03:35:22 PM »
Thank you for all the comments. :)

I've been training for 3 1/2 years. I started when I turned 15.

Entity, I understand the big jump comment, but you can't be serious about the rolls? Could you at least be more specific on the rolls? What exactly do you mean by correct form? I know some guys on our team are a little bit newer, and I admit my rolls aren't great, but you can't be referring to Devon Bardole's rolls (the black kid)? It shows him rolling in there more than anyone else, and he is probably one of the better people I have seen at rolls especially from height like that. Most people collapse their rolls, but in the front flips he did he holds his form really well.

As for the big jump I did, I understand your thinking, but in no way did I do that to try and impress any body. and what went through my mind before I did it? I saw it and thought that looks like a fun cat leap, so I tested the rail, did it, end of story. When it comes to height, 20 ft and 100 ft don't make a difference if I know I can make the jump no problem. I didn't even consider that an adrenaline rush, just another accomplishment. Though it sure gave everyone else one. ;)

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 05:14:36 PM »
Let me preface this with the fact that I thought your video was very impressive and really great.  I do believe, however, that EVERYONE has room for improvement.

Entity, I understand the big jump comment, but you can't be serious about the rolls? Could you at least be more specific on the rolls? What exactly do you mean by correct form? I know some guys on our team are a little bit newer, and I admit my rolls aren't great, but you can't be referring to Devon Bardole's rolls (the black kid)? It shows him rolling in there more than anyone else, and he is probably one of the better people I have seen at rolls especially from height like that. Most people collapse their rolls, but in the front flips he did he holds his form really well.

I think he meant that a lot of your guys don't do shoulder rolls...they kind of just fall to the side and do a barrel roll.  Its really not the safest way to go about it but most of the rolls in this vid were on sand/grass where it wouldn't matter too much.

Typically we (as a community, that is) tell people to try to get the ground to "paint" a diagonal line from the meat of the shoulder just to above the glutes only crossing the spine for an instant and ideally not contacting the spine at all with proper contraction of the back extensors.

Lots of people in the vid rolled where the ground made a straight line from the shoulder to the glutes and they rolled laterally.

That said, the skills were impressive and I think an occasional big drop for you guys is no big deal...rolls could use a bit of work though, but thats just my opinion.

Great job overall, seriously.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 05:20:14 PM by Chris Salvato »

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 07:10:26 PM »
Let me preface this with the fact that I thought your video was very impressive and really great.  I do believe, however, that EVERYONE has room for improvement.

I think he meant that a lot of your guys don't do shoulder rolls...they kind of just fall to the side and do a barrel roll.  Its really not the safest way to go about it but most of the rolls in this vid were on sand/grass where it wouldn't matter too much.

Typically we (as a community, that is) tell people to try to get the ground to "paint" a diagonal line from the meat of the shoulder just to above the glutes only crossing the spine for an instant and ideally not contacting the spine at all with proper contraction of the back extensors.

Lots of people in the vid rolled where the ground made a straight line from the shoulder to the glutes and they rolled laterally.

That said, the skills were impressive and I think an occasional big drop for you guys is no big deal...rolls could use a bit of work though, but thats just my opinion.

Great job overall, seriously.

Yes, about the rolls, mainly what Chris said.  I want to make it clear that I do think you guys are amazing and I loved the vid.  But lets see.  About the rolls.  Well I did think the black guys were pretty solid and was very impressed by the form he kept for the huge diving flip at the end.

- On the rolls at 56, the kid in red slams his back into the ground.  You can see the impact.  Instead of rolling across the shoulder and onto the back, you just plopped right onto your back with a lot of force.  The noise the guy made also made it sound kinda painful.

- 2:13 looked a bit akward and ploppity.  This was probably because you could not extend far outward because of the wall in front of you.  It was on cement though so it must be decent or you would be screaming. 

I don't think your rolls are horrible but imo they need some work.  That is up to you.  My rolls need work.  I think it is an area that many could improve on.  In general, the problems I can see is that you seem to either roll down your spine too much, and when you don't you roll almost completely sideways (7:50) like Chris said kinda like a barrel roll.  The other thing is that sometimes you roll too close to where you planted your feet (8:13 among others).  In this great video ( http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/2260/377/ ) leon explains why it is good to stretch out far in front and dive outward for rolls on larger drops.  Your rolls would look much smoother and less ploppity. 

I am just trying to offer some constructive criticism here.  You guys are great.

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 07:20:28 PM »

As for the big jump I did, I understand your thinking, but in no way did I do that to try and impress any body. and what went through my mind before I did it? I saw it and thought that looks like a fun cat leap, so I tested the rail, did it, end of story. When it comes to height, 20 ft and 100 ft don't make a difference if I know I can make the jump no problem.

There is a big difference between a 20 foot and 100 foot drop.  Surviving.  You have a much better chance surviving a 20 foot fall that a 100 foot one.  In fact, you have no chance of surviving a 100 foot fall in those circumstances. 

What you don't get is that there are other factors that go into it than whether or not you know you can do it.  Have you ever seen the baseball clip where the bird flies down and gets hit?  That was very unlikely but it happened.  What if a bird had hit you in the face?  What if a bug flew into your eye?  I could go on.  There are just various things that could have happened that would have been out of your control that make it not worth it imo.  MORE IMPORTANTLY, no matter what you say, you could have screwed up.  No matter what you think.  You should know that because of what happened at the exact place where you were doing the famous kong to cats with king.  David fell.  "on such a simple move... everyone makes mistakes.  Even the best but you just have to get back up again".  Well you would not have gotten back up again my friend.  I really did love the video.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:40:56 PM by Jackson "Entity" Miller »

Offline Ronster82

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Shalvis Myspace
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 08:05:22 PM »
Well I appreciate the criticism. Though what I realize now is that its hard to say vague comments on a video like this, because of the variety of people. Almost everyone of the rolls you mention are a different person, and have different roll cases. I already admitted that my rolls aren't great, but I thought you might also be referring to Devon's. Though I won't be able to roll like everybody else until I build a bunch of muscle on my back because I have a bony back and I've finally found that spot on my back (1 inch of room) that allows me to roll on cement with out hitting a bone or feeling pain.

As for the the jump I did, I know I couldn't calculate every risk, but the risk was small enough that I was willing to take it. By getting into a car you do it knowing that there are risks involved, that could prove to be fatal. Yet millions of people around the world do it everyday. I appreciate your concern, just know I'm not doing it for the rush or for praises. But for the simple act of experiencing how my body controls itself in any situation, and apparently now I know I can do that jump with the height factor. ;) Also, I usually try and do everything more than once, because I don't like accomplishing something than walking away from it but I like being able to do it over and over. Like when I first did the dash bomb outside I was worried I would only do it once, because than I'd be too scared to do it again, but when I did it, I did it 14 times over. I wasn't able to do the jump again though, my team wouldn't let me do it again haha.

Oh yeah I was going to mention that I don't expect that jump to look any more impressive than it being the cat leap that it is.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:12:28 PM by Ronster82 »

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 08:10:06 PM »
If you were mentally comfortable with the jump, I have no problems, that's your responsibility and your risk. Here's my only deal. Other people.

While your goal may not be to impress others, and thats great, you still do impress others. Including those who haven't had your training. You've got to be careful what gets out in the public. There's some high impressionable youthful folks out there.

•Urban Current Member

Offline Devon Bardole

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 08:51:47 PM »
I know for a fact that Ronnie doesnt just do risky stuff to impress or for "glory". He has trained his body and mind over the course of many years and knows when he's physically able to do something because his mental is so strong. Ive only met a couple people with the mental power that ronnie has. The jump over the gap was something that Ronnie knew he was capable of. Just like i knew i was capable of the front over the pier. We all have strengths and weaknesses, some people may see certain things as crazy while others may see it as normal. Its all about what the individual truly feels, not what others feel or think. If you wanna talk about risks, tell David Belle not to jump Manpower. And as for the subject of rolls, its ridiculous. I guess every freerunner and traceur has to roll exactly the same or its "wrong".? Some people may have certain physical makeups which makes a certain way to roll easier or harder. As long as the technique works for that particular person, why should it matter? Its all about the person and what works for them. Isnt that what makes this sport so unique, or does everyone have to have the same stlye and do everything the same as everyone else. 

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 09:41:15 PM »
Well I appreciate the criticism. Though what I realize now is that its hard to say vague comments on a video like this, because of the variety of people. Almost everyone of the rolls you mention are a different person, and have different roll cases. I already admitted that my rolls aren't great, but I thought you might also be referring to Devon's. Though I won't be able to roll like everybody else until I build a bunch of muscle on my back because I have a bony back and I've finally found that spot on my back (1 inch of room) that allows me to roll on cement with out hitting a bone or feeling pain.

As for the the jump I did, I know I couldn't calculate every risk, but the risk was small enough that I was willing to take it. By getting into a car you do it knowing that there are risks involved, that could prove to be fatal. Yet millions of people around the world do it everyday. I appreciate your concern, just know I'm not doing it for the rush or for praises. But for the simple act of experiencing how my body controls itself in any situation, and apparently now I know I can do that jump with the height factor. ;) Also, I usually try and do everything more than once, because I don't like accomplishing something than walking away from it but I like being able to do it over and over. Like when I first did the dash bomb outside I was worried I would only do it once, because than I'd be too scared to do it again, but when I did it, I did it 14 times over. I wasn't able to do the jump again though, my team wouldn't let me do it again haha.

Oh yeah I was going to mention that I don't expect that jump to look any more impressive than it being the cat leap that it is.

It's all good man.  I think I just expressed my feelings so strongly because I have looked down at that drop like I said, and... well nuff said.  Just stay safe.  Also, was it you who did that outdoor dash bomb?  Major respect for that dude.  Congrats on the 5.10 sponsorship, I love their shoes.

If you were mentally comfortable with the jump, I have no problems, that's your responsibility and your risk. Here's my only deal. Other people.

While your goal may not be to impress others, and thats great, you still do impress others. Including those who haven't had your training. You've got to be careful what gets out in the public. There's some high impressionable youthful folks out there.

True.  Also, imagine what onlookers were thinking.  I understand the concept of knowing 100% that you can do a move, but they will see it as reckless and I already had a run in with the police at UCLA just for doing rail balances. 

I know for a fact that Ronnie doesnt just do risky stuff to impress or for "glory". He has trained his body and mind over the course of many years and knows when he's physically able to do something because his mental is so strong. Ive only met a couple people with the mental power that ronnie has. The jump over the gap was something that Ronnie knew he was capable of. Just like i knew i was capable of the front over the pier. We all have strengths and weaknesses, some people may see certain things as crazy while others may see it as normal. Its all about what the individual truly feels, not what others feel or think. If you wanna talk about risks, tell David Belle not to jump Manpower. And as for the subject of rolls, its ridiculous. I guess every freerunner and traceur has to roll exactly the same or its "wrong".? Some people may have certain physical makeups which makes a certain way to roll easier or harder. As long as the technique works for that particular person, why should it matter? Its all about the person and what works for them. Isnt that what makes this sport so unique, or does everyone have to have the same stlye and do everything the same as everyone else. 

Hmm.  Well I respect his mental ability and have no doubt he is very strong.  I am kinda over the subject of that jump now.  As for the subject of roll, it is not ridiculous.  That statement was ridiculous.  Yes, everyone's rolls will vary but there is still a basis from which to go on.  In addition, EVERYONE can improve their rolls.  Ronnie just admitted that his need work and I was just offering suggestions for him to consider, so don't speak for your whole team.  Watching a tutorial is fine.  Everyone's kongs vary slightly too but that does not mean no one should watch tutorials and no one should give others advice because they all do it different ways.  I am just trying to help here man.  I respect all you guys. 

Offline Ronster82

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Shalvis Myspace
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 08:10:13 AM »

Now that's a legitimate concern, but Its sad that I have to worry about what I film because of kids who will watch it and monkey see monkey do. But if we didn't do certain things because we were worried about inexperienced people copying us, then no one would be doing drops above 5 feet, no one would really be doing anything but rolls and balancing... Which is fine, but I personally like exploring what my body is capable of to its full extent, and if I have the opportunity to tell those who watch me about my training, and how dangerous it is if you don't train properly for it, then I do tell them. Though its still their choice whether they will take my advice or not, you can't force it upon people to follow the guidelines there are for parkour and free running, only inform them.

And again thank you for all the comments , it is much appreciated. Train, be safe and have fun. :)

Offline Michael -PKFR

• Patas
  • Michael Hartwig
    • View Profile
    • PKFR International
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 07:23:53 AM »
By far one of my fav videos
Ronnie, Devon and King def have some really nice clips
Michael Hartwig -PKFR International