Author Topic: Injuries keep coming back!!! HELP!!!  (Read 1474 times)

Offline zyzzogeton

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Injuries keep coming back!!! HELP!!!
« on: January 28, 2009, 10:31:22 PM »
So I sign up for pre-session for track and about 3 weeks in my ankle kills it self. So my coach suggests I get better running shoes. Apparently when I run my ankle goes inwards causing pain. So I get new shoes that correct it and everything is fine until just recently when I started practicing parkour(nothing major, just very small vaults) again my ankles are hurting on the outside. My friend told me that she has had that happen to her before from dance and that I should just rest my ankles and do those rolly-things with my feet (ankle-roll? whatever they are called) every day. Now I don't know how important this is but: when I roll my ankles around they make very loud cracking noises. Well it didn't help and now my knees hurt too(everything bad that could possibly happen) and running turns into an incarnation of hell, aka it hurts like $%!#.

So now you go the backstory, here's my question: I'm obviously doing something wrong so what is it? I don't know if it's parkour, my shoes, etc. But something is definitely wrong with what I'm doing. Also if someone could tell me a way to heal my knees that would be great too...

Thanks in advance!!!

Offline Mathew C

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Injuries keep coming back!!! HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:37:02 PM »
The technical term for what you do is overpronation. It's something that you'll have to deal with before you go on. Go see a doctor, who will probably prescribe orthotics and some exercises to strengthen the support muscles.

Offline zyzzogeton

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 05:20:13 PM »
Awesome, I'm getting a physical for track anyways so I'll tell my doctor about it while I'm there. Thanks!

Offline Joeson Wong

• Patas
  • "Kuza"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 05:37:19 PM »
Watch this tutorial and when your ankle heals you can do these exercises. It'll help strengthen your ankles.

As for the knee injury, are you running on your toes? Proper form helps reduce pain in your joints.

Offline Stephanie Belle Hagan

• Mangabey
  • poof.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 05:42:25 PM »
DUDE!!!! DUDEEEEEE!!!

The exact same thing happened to me!!!!!

So... my advice is...

See a friggin physical therapist. I'm dead serious. It worked miracles for me. I would go running, and my knees would hurt SO BAD before I saw a physical therapist!!! What might be going on is you might have some weak/loose ligaments in your ankles or knees. But see a physical therapist before you hurt yourself permanetly for life, I've seen too many atheletes do that...

Good luck, my fellow friend. I hope everything gets better for ya, especially before track.  :)
"When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So, what the hell, leap!"
-Unknown

Offline Mathew C

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 06:01:14 PM »
Watch this tutorial and when your ankle heals you can do these exercises. It'll help strengthen your ankles.

Take Dogen's advice with a grain of salt though. For example, what he says about calve being used to jump and shins being used to land is simply not accurate. It is a useful visual guide for calve raises and shin raises, and it gives the proper emphasis to conditioning, but not a medical authority.

Offline Joeson Wong

• Patas
  • "Kuza"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 06:14:40 PM »

Take Dogen's advice with a grain of salt though. For example, what he says about calve being used to jump and shins being used to land is simply not accurate. It is a useful visual guide for calve raises and shin raises, and it gives the proper emphasis to conditioning, but not a medical authority.

Oh that's what I meant. Once his ankles heal, he can use these exercises to help condition his ankles. The same goes for the running properly as well because it helps prevent future injury. Sorry if you misunderstood my post.

Offline Mathew C

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 07:10:14 PM »
Oh that's what I meant. Once his ankles heal, he can use these exercises to help condition his ankles. The same goes for the running properly as well because it helps prevent future injury. Sorry if you misunderstood my post.

It sounds like you may have misunderstood mine. Of course he would start those exercises after he heals, but don't listen to everything the video says - it's not all accurate. Another example - a set isn't the max reps you can do until your form suffers, it's just how many reps you do at a time. And doing 6 burnout sets a day is a good way to overtrain if you aren't careful.

Not to pick apart your words. Just aiming for clarity  ;)