Author Topic: Tutorials by Matthewleewillis  (Read 11956 times)

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
Tutorials by Matthewleewillis
« on: May 25, 2006, 12:22:50 AM »
Yea, so I am totally not as cool as that TRIBE video that they put out but I had the experince of being able to put together some tutorials with a company called Expert Villiage.  They makes sports tutorials for many sports.  I hope that many of you guys can enjoy these...because without really much editing I studder over my words quite a lot.

I wasnet sure where to put this so I put the thread here.

Yea, dont worry I will defintly not get upset if anyone offers constructive critisism.

http://sports.expertvillage.com/interviews/parkour.htm
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorials by Matthewleewillis
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 05:03:57 AM »
what are you trying to do, run us out of business on our own site! get back to your cage!

hah, ill take a look at them after work.

Offline RunCincy

• Mangabey
  • maybe rolling is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 10:01:27 AM »
I really liked a few of them. I'm sure this will help some begginers, I can see that you put some time into these and I appreciate that. +1
you betcha on muh horse

psycosis12

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 10:06:04 AM »
i couldn't see the video, the only thing avalible for me was the audio......

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 11:24:01 AM »
Thanks Matty.  I could see it...I dont know about that psycosis12 humm...It has worked on a couple computers for me.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 01:21:22 PM »
I thought the history of parkour was spotty, disorganized, and confusing (especially if I wasn't a traceur). The tutorials were decent except I would hardly call them tutorials, more like demonstrations or mainly informational.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 08:39:23 PM »
I will defintly give you that.  I thought if I just started spouting stuff off the editor would...you know edit some of it but I guess not...so we get a studdering Matthew.  I thought the tutorials were tutorial enough...it shows the action and the elements that you need to concentrate on before/during/after.  I guess that is me though...thank you.

Offline ERI1044

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 12:40:41 PM »
yeah i think the history of parkour could have been done better but i think the tutorials were really great! didn't help me much since i already know the stuff but it's gona come in handy when trying to explain how to do things to my friends!
breathing isn't parkour!! HA, YOU CAN'T BREATH!

Offline Pat Kerby

• Guenons
  • To old to Parkour
    • View Profile
    • www.kerbybrothers.com
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 02:05:10 PM »
Watched some of the tutorials.  Good stuff, but I agree with the above post, more examples, and less talking head.  Slo-mo examples are good, do freezeframes to coincide with the verbal descriptions.  Maybe show examples of the same technique over different obstacles.  Monkey and kong looked nearly identical.  Good stuff tho Matt, will really help beginners.
Director of "Essence of The Force" at www.kerbybrothers.com, and "Fightscenes For Motion Pictures" at www.kbproducts.com

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 03:05:07 PM »
Good stuff. But the monking and kong look identicle. Because monkeys and knogs are identicle. It's the same movement, just a kong, according to some people, is where you lift off before your hands touch.

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline Pat Kerby

• Guenons
  • To old to Parkour
    • View Profile
    • www.kerbybrothers.com
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 03:36:03 PM »
Right, makes sense to me.  When I walk o0r trot up to something and put my hands on it, and then vault, it's a monkey.  When I dive and punch off, it's a Kong.  Got it.
Director of "Essence of The Force" at www.kerbybrothers.com, and "Fightscenes For Motion Pictures" at www.kbproducts.com

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 04:49:05 PM »
i only watched a couple, mostly cause i don't care, and partly because i am going outside. all in all i suppose it was good for beginners. but the history seemed a little innacurate, and there were a couple things that i didn't like that you said. something like, "you should know where you are going to land before doing a vault, but if you are a risk taker, go for it."

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 06:04:10 PM »
Kong and Monkey are the same movement. Saut de chat. Urban free flow just screwed it up.
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 06:55:47 AM »
Yea, I wanted to explain the difference a little and I can see how all of you are saying in my tutorial they are the same.  I felt that a lot of people usually punch into a monkey stead of step into one so I wanted to show the difference with the stepping and the punching.

The Tutorial was a little ehhh not like SUPER MOJO TRIBE...but with the resources that I had I thought it turned out ok.  Aside from the most important part which is the history...they guy really didnt edit it like I wanted him to so...err..sorry guys.

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 08:00:06 AM »
Watched some of the tutorials.  Good stuff, but I agree with the above post, more examples, and less talking head.  Slo-mo examples are good, do freezeframes to coincide with the verbal descriptions.  Maybe show examples of the same technique over different obstacles.  Monkey and kong looked nearly identical.  Good stuff tho Matt, will really help beginners.

I agree with him with the fact that the monkey and kong looked identicle. You should have done the kong over the long side of the picnic table. It would have looked better. i would also like to see a tut on the double kong and the kong to kash vualt.
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline Bubblemaker

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 10:03:49 AM »
Props mathew! There isn't much video teaching stuff around on the web (or you're gonna have to pay  ;)), and this helped a beginner like me. I liked the travelling kong :P

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 09:17:51 PM »
Thank you.

Offline pointman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 05:12:49 AM »
i gotta say, thoes tutorials were great! i used them when i was first getting started and since then i feel comfortable doing all basic vaults. my only trouble is finding a decent place to practice the cat leap  :(

Offline Jereme Sanders

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006, 01:09:26 PM »
All you need to practice a cat leap is a wall.....just mark off a jumping point and then practice your cat leap...
"People may forget what you've done, or said, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

The Best part of Falling Down is Getting Back Up...

Gearsighted

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 12:12:51 PM »
OK, finally got around to starting into these. I will edit as I watch each one, but first off, the "History of Parkour" video:

1. Parkour does not come from Art Du Deplacement, Art Du Deplacement was another name that the original Traceurs used to describe what they were doing. It roughly means an art of purposeful movement. Parkour actually comes from "Parcours Du Combatants" which is miliary obstacle coursing. Also, Traceur means someone who traces a path. I remember hearing the "tracer bullet" explanation on UF, but since then I have found that it was wrong...http://machaut.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/FR-ENG.sh?word=traceur

2. The quote "trying to find your pleasure" is quite a bit misleading

3. you say that "It's a great thing to try to do, whether you understand the philosophy or not..." then immediately follow with "The most important thing to do is to understand the philosophy..." So which one is it ?

4. David Belle's father was Raymond Bell. William Belle is one of the Yamakasi.

5. You say it has to be practiced in an urban environment, that is obviously not true.

Either way, I wish you would have perhaps written down your piece and then posted it for community feedback, as this would have led to a more complete and less misinformed intro...now on to the others...

Equipment...Part 2

1. I'm pretty well opposed to the use of supports as a preventive measure. I think that strengthening any weakness around a joint should serve that purpose and supports should be saved for when there is an accute injury.

2. GLOVES??!! WTF....

The Roll

1. You shouldn't put any weight on your arm...it's really only for guidance

2. You say "you can put your hands wherever you want"....that's not really the case, put them too far forward and you take the entire impact with your hands, too far back and you fall straight onto your back.

3. Tucking your chin to look towards your trailing leg is very important in keeping your head out of the way

Landing

1. You can do a straight landing on objects over your height, as you won't always be able to roll. You roll when you are able to create some forward momentum, not necessarily just because something is high.

2. It is best to try to keep your back neutral when you crouch to keep unnecessary strain off of your lumbar spine.

(I have to go fix some dinner for the kids, I'll get back to these later...)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 12:44:59 PM by gear »