Author Topic: Weird feeling while doing parkour.  (Read 3326 times)

Offline PKAB

• Mangabey
  • Do a Barrel Roll!
    • View Profile
Weird feeling while doing parkour.
« on: January 23, 2009, 09:17:16 PM »
Hi guys, earlier today I was practicing vaults and cat to cats and for the first time ever i noticed this feeling i get when i pull off a move. I ve felt it before but never found it consistant. Its kinda like everything slows down and i get a burst of energy for just a second. I tried doing the same vault exept with bad form and instead of the fluid slow feeling, i felt nothing. I was just wondering what this is, why does it happen and if any of you guys have felt it.
Perfection is a flaw.

Offline Schuman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Weird feeling while doing parkour.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 09:53:23 PM »
Maybe the mix of adrenaline and focus made you feel that way,
Focus, Intensity, Tempo,

Offline Derik (QuikSilva) DaSilva

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 10:20:16 PM »
Adrenaline. Hands down. Time to go into a little story. I used to do color guard before parkour. If you've seen a marching band, I was the one with the flag. Only in winter guard, there was no band. Only a soundtrack, and the guard. We did more than flag, we also spun/threw a rifle and sabre. Well, my instructor: Tracy Wooten (famous man amongst the color guard scene) told us that when we threw 6's (six full rotations of the rifle in the air), we could focus our adrenaline and slow it down in our minds, as if time were slower. After throwing thousands (yes, thousands) of 6's, I found these words to be true. If you focus intently on anything you are doing involving fast action, you can slow it down immensely just by focusing. The term my other instuctor used was 'counting the stitches', refering to a baseball batter counting the stitches on a 90 mph fast ball right before he hit it. He focused and thought about the ball flying towards him so much that even at 90 mph he could literally count the red stitches.

And that's my bedtime story for you. :P Hope it helped.

Offline PKAB

• Mangabey
  • Do a Barrel Roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 10:24:03 PM »
That is so freakin cool.
Perfection is a flaw.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 10:25:22 PM »
Ha that reminds me of Wanted.

But yea, it's so intense. I noticed this with flips. First starting, I couldn't even focus on anything. It was just a blur. Now I can actually watch things as they fly by. I'd say it's not only adrenaline but also your brain not having to spend as much time thinking about it so then you can focus on other things.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 09:19:45 AM »
It isn't adrenaline.

It is a different chemical that causes it.  What you're feeling is known as, "in the zone".  Athletes often talk about how while their in the zone everything slows down.  This is because while in this state a chemical is released in your brain that allows you to perceive things slower.
In the philosophical sense it is abandoning all thoughts on what has happened or what is to come and instead only focusing on what is happening now.

Offline Nick Gordon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 04:58:52 PM »
It means you're enjoying yourself. It is adrenaline, and I didn't use to get it when I first started because I was out of shape, but now, every time I do something, after I'm done, it's this extreme pleasure with myself. It's almost like you're meant to do it.

In my opinion, it means you really love parkour, and it's now becoming your physical release. Enjoy!
Always open to training invites if you're in the Germantown/Collierville area, just message me on any of my contacts, email preferably.

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 05:05:32 PM »
Basically, whats happening is you are accelerating the speed of your mind. This also happens when you are in danger. Normal vision is something like 30fps, which is why that is also most movie speeds. Anything slower, and we can see the differences. Well when you are in hypermode, your brain speeds up the rate of intake, which is why things look so much slower, It processes them way faster.
Like Supercharge.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Derik (QuikSilva) DaSilva

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 09:53:38 PM »
Basically, whats happening is you are accelerating the speed of your mind. This also happens when you are in danger. Normal vision is something like 30fps, which is why that is also most movie speeds. Anything slower, and we can see the differences. Well when you are in hypermode, your brain speeds up the rate of intake, which is why things look so much slower, It processes them way faster.
Like Supercharge.

I like the one sentence. It does explain my previous statement a lot better. Your mind, while using adrenaline, can process thoughts much faster, making things seem to move slower, because you're processing more in the same span of time.

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 10:00:45 PM »
Ive gotta do some more research on this, Its perked my interest.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 07:11:34 AM »
I like the one sentence. It does explain my previous statement a lot better. Your mind, while using adrenaline, can process thoughts much faster, making things seem to move slower, because you're processing more in the same span of time.
/facepalm

It isn't adrenaline.  Adrenaline isn't a neurochemical and really doesn't affect the brain.
Research has discovered that the main chemical involved is anandamine, which is kind of like the body's own THC.  This will give you a natural dopamine high in conjunction with other chemicals.
source

There is no adrenaline involved.

Offline Mitch Hamilton

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 08:20:12 AM »
Adrenaline. Hands down. Time to go into a little story. I used to do color guard before parkour. If you've seen a marching band, I was the one with the flag. Only in winter guard, there was no band. Only a soundtrack, and the guard. We did more than flag, we also spun/threw a rifle and sabre. Well, my instructor: Tracy Wooten (famous man amongst the color guard scene) told us that when we threw 6's (six full rotations of the rifle in the air), we could focus our adrenaline and slow it down in our minds, as if time were slower. After throwing thousands (yes, thousands) of 6's, I found these words to be true. If you focus intently on anything you are doing involving fast action, you can slow it down immensely just by focusing. The term my other instuctor used was 'counting the stitches', refering to a baseball batter counting the stitches on a 90 mph fast ball right before he hit it. He focused and thought about the ball flying towards him so much that even at 90 mph he could literally count the red stitches.

And that's my bedtime story for you. :P Hope it helped.
o.o ......... Dude after I read that I spent like three hours straight throwing a ball at a wall and trying to slow it down when it comes back.... so far .... no progress. BUT! ALAS I SHAL KEEP TRYING my good friend.

Offline Casey Kandel

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • PlainBlackHoodie
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
/facepalm

It isn't adrenaline.  Adrenaline isn't a neurochemical and really doesn't affect the brain.
Research has discovered that the main chemical involved is anandamine, which is kind of like the body's own THC.  This will give you a natural dopamine high in conjunction with other chemicals.
source

There is no adrenaline involved.

lol... not really true. Adrenaline is always being used in different amount by our body and i would have to say that adrenaline is definitly a factor in the feeling, though it is not THE factor.
The World. My Playground. 
The Streets. My Home. 
The Architecture. My Inspiration. 
The Fear. My Motivation. 
The Sweat, the Scars, the Pain. My Proof.
My Name. Traceur.

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 10:12:27 AM »
In psychology it's known as the state of "flow".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 10:18:50 AM »
from Daniel Kelly's link
"Timeline: 15 years

BACKGROUND: In the past 30 years, hundreds of scientists have investigated the “in-the-zone” feeling that athletes say gives them the sense that they can accomplish anything. When Boston Celtic Larry Bird talked about the game seeming to actually slow down during crunch time, helping him to read defenses more clearly and feel more fleet-footed, he was probably experiencing a natural dopamine high. Dopamine increases muscle-reaction speed and alters the perception of time. But these flow states, as they’re known among psychologists, are probably triggered by a surge of several mindscrambling, euphoria-inducing, reflex-quickening neurochemicals, such as norepinephrine and serotonin. Although studies have yet to quantify how much flow states actually raise an athlete’s performance, anecdotal evidence has convinced Michael Sachs, a sport psychologist at Temple University. “Athletic abilities are so elevated by the experience,” he says, “that just about any championship-level, gold-medal peak performance has a flow state at its core.” Elite athletes would do anything for a pill or injection that stimulates this feeling.

WHERE IT'S AT: In 2004, neuroscientist Arne Dietrich, then at the Georgia Institute of Technology, identified anandamine—the body’s version of THC, the psychoactive chemical in marijuana—as the chemical most likely responsible for flow states. This theory received a boost this spring, when scientists at the University of Bonn in Germany found elevated levels of endorphins in the brains of test subjects. These molecules are too big to penetrate the blood-brain barrier on their own, so the current thinking is that anandamine ferries them in and that it’s the endorphins that provide the actual high. Still, most scientists think there are other neurochemicals in play, and figuring out the exact combination may take years. With so much pharmacological interest in neuro-enhancement, though, scientists in the field say it’s only a matter of time.

DETECTION: To spot cheaters, Sachs says, you’ll need to differentiate between the neurochemicals responsible for a natural flow state and one that’s triggered artificially. “But these chemicals may be perfectly identical to the natural stuff,” he says. “I just don’t think detection may ever be possible.”

Left: When a goalie is “in the zone,” fast-flying pucks are easier to catch."

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 11:39:48 AM »
In psychology it's known as the state of "flow".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

Travis, for some reason the link missed the closing parenthesis.

Let's try again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 02:38:21 PM »
this feeling is my high. When I am in the zone it is better than sex.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌§▌
Now this is happening!
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,14576.180.html