Author Topic: Onlookers calling it "easy" ...  (Read 7185 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: Onlookers calling it "easy" ...
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 10:16:44 AM »
I gotta say I'm with Pat on this ... "why not join me" ...

this:
haha someone told me it was easy today, they said they tried it yesterday going over a small wall, and he hit his knee! i laughed so hard, now he knows its kinda difficult!

is a crappy elitist attitude .. "I can do it and it's hard and you can't" ... if all the people you met first told you that, you'd be sitting on your ass playing X-box.

The idea of Parkour is NOT to do things so you can show off, or say to other people "I'm better because I can do this" ...

the idea is to become useful so you can help others. Let's try that on for size, how did each person here HELP someone else today?
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline EonBlueApocolypse

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 10:45:38 AM »
I totally agree with Asa on this one and I will interpret and back up his statement from my own perspective.

First of all, I'd like to reccommend an article from urbanfreeflow that's highly relevant to this subject for those of you who are interested:
http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/the_core_level/pages/archives/parkour_and_perception.htm

I believe anyone who takes on the role of a traceur must first analyzse his or her motives for accepting this challenge, as with any new activity or challenge one might embrace.  If you read up on the philosophy of parkour from those who started it, you'll find it deals with being healthy, overcoming obstacles, challenging oneself, and freedom - ideals which will yield positive results and a great degree of personal fullfillment (refer to "What Parkour Is" on the main page of this site).  If you are practicing parkour just so that you can impress people with your skills, I don't believe you will get very far and you are much more succeptible to embarassment and injury (refer to "What Parkour Is Not" on the main page of this site -- a quote: "It is also not "What you make of it" ... it is predefined and has a purpose, if something doesn't suit that purpose, it is not Parkour.").

My reasons for taking on this viewpoint are that if you are trying to impress someone as your performing a feat, your mind is not 100% focused on the task at hand and you are also much more likely to do something that is beyond your capability just because someone will be impressed if you do.  These will eventually result in serious injury or worse.  It will also severely inhibit your progress due to the fact that your motives to advance and succeed are not your own but rather they are based on what will satisfy onlookers.  These are clear reasons why it is not wise or practical to take up this activity just to impress people.  I won't say any more on this since I'd just be repeating an idea that's already been well expressed in the above article which I've reccommended.

Returning to the topic at hand, I have attemted to explain why one's concern should not be "who is watching me and what do they think" but something more along the lines of "what am I doing and what do I think of it.  Paying any attention to onlookers is a mis-allocation of a highly important resource: your focus.

Please bear in mind I am not trying to attack anyone or their opinions, rather I am trying to make clear why I believe their motives to be invalid and even harmful.  Hope this helps.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 12:02:37 PM »
Returning to the topic at hand, I have attemted to explain why one's concern should not be "who is watching me and what do they think" but something more along the lines of "what am I doing and what do I think of it.  Paying any attention to onlookers is a mis-allocation of a highly important resource: your focus.

that's a GREAT point!
Be Useful.

psycosis12

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 02:24:08 PM »
Quote from: M2
is a crappy elitist attitude .. "I can do it and it's hard and you can't" ... if all the people you met first told you that, you'd be sitting on your ass playing X-box.
well you don't know me very well, because i take difficult things and practice and practice, if i don't succeed after a certain amount of time then i stop sooooooooo don't judge me dude

Offline ERI1044

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 02:32:12 PM »
i don't think anyone here really ment that they would push someone to do anything that is extremly dangerous...we'd maybe let them try it out and when they mess up (or if) then we'd help em out by showing correct technique... it's not like they'd see us jumping off a 10 foot wall and say "oh that's easy" and then we'd go on to say "haha let me see you try!" ....but if that situation did happen then he's probably a stunt guy or a traceur...
breathing isn't parkour!! HA, YOU CAN'T BREATH!

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 02:43:32 PM »
"sooooooooo don't judge me dude"

Fair enough psycosis12, I won't judge whether if the first time you bailed everyone laughed you'd still be doing it,  but laughing at someone who tried it and got hurt sucks.
Be Useful.

psycosis12

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 03:05:37 PM »
naw the first time i bailed eugene and eli was all worried, and it was like a 1 foot fall, hahaha i didn't even hurt, it acutally got me a little heated that they thought i was fragile!

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 03:13:41 PM »
well, econblueapacolypse, you didnt answer my question. I know that doing parkour with the motive of just wanting to show off wont get you far in pk and all that other stuff you are saying, that is true, i agree, but what i was asking is why is it DISTURBING? I will agree that it is very interesting but disturbing...

Offline EonBlueApocolypse

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2006, 03:34:21 PM »
I believe he is disturbed so see that so many members have this improper motive.

Offline Olloth Kenson

• Guenons
  • 1:52 away from Hell says mapquest
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2006, 09:38:06 PM »
i could see interesting instead but you make it seem like you just found out darth vader is your dad. lol.

Slightly off topic, but I would be soooo happy if I found out Darth Vader was my dad. I'd be like "Join you or die? That's a stupid question, lets go kick some Jedi ass!"

I think I speak for the whole of the american parkour community when I say, "We do it to impress ourselves first and foremost, and impressing someone else is an added bonus" That seems to be the general idea around here, and what I believe in. I don't try something for the first time to impress someone, I try something for the first time to see if I can, and work myself to it, and if I know I can do it, then I'll show someone else and bask in self accomplishment. =P
Tricks aren't parkour but I'm not always faithful.

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2006, 04:49:28 PM »
ya dude, i would love darth vader as a dad lol.