Author Topic: Onlookers calling it "easy" ...  (Read 7176 times)

Offline Mathew

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Onlookers calling it "easy" ...
« on: May 23, 2006, 10:21:22 AM »
Don't you hate it when people look at parkour stuff and go :Oh that's easy! I can do that!"? It just makes me so friken mad!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:(

edit: M2 changed title. We should make this one into a sticky or something, we all run into this so often!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 11:52:08 AM by M2 »

Offline Pat Kerby

• Guenons
  • To old to Parkour
    • View Profile
    • www.kerbybrothers.com
Re: Don't you hate it when...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 10:46:54 AM »
Probably the only person who would say such a thing is someone that is a good enough athelete where it is easy for them....and that makes me mad, in a jealous sort of way.  I know a gymnast who tried it for the first time a while ago and was doing impossible things on his first day.  That made me mad, but it was cool to watch.
Director of "Essence of The Force" at www.kerbybrothers.com, and "Fightscenes For Motion Pictures" at www.kbproducts.com

Offline Niroshine

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 11:17:38 AM »
Pat Kerby, I wouldn't be so mad at a gymnast if he was good AND modest, but if he was like, "Omg, this is so easy. I pwnz0r u", then yeah, I'll be mad too lol. Although I think Matthew's talking about other people watching and saying they can do it without actually trying it themselves.

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 11:38:40 AM »
Yeah I know what you mean, thats the reason a lot of people don't do PK around here. They just think either it's stupid or it looks too easy because your just on your feet.  :-\
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Gearsighted

Re: Onlookers calling it "easy" ...
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 11:56:43 AM »
See, I used to get that a lot from just normal people. When you are training the basics at a small level it does look rather easy. Needless to say if any of the naysayers tried it they would realize that it's a bit harder than they assumed. Either way, doesn't bother me what they think, as that's not why I'm out there busting my ass :p

Offline Argon

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 12:39:15 PM »
I think the problem is two fold; first, liitle to nothing about parkour bespeaks a great deal of difficulty. We're not (typicly) doing anything flashy or fliping over everything in sight. When you get right down to it, parkour could be described as "running around and jumping". We know that's not what it's about, but it dosn't come across to a casual observer.

Second, if you're doing it right, all the moves you do look really easy. Since you're trying to do everything as smoothly and quietly as possible, parkour looks easy to do by design.
My promise for the month: three sets of handstand pushups (upto 5 reps now...)

I keep having these dreams that I'm falling.
The strange thing is, when I wake up,
They keep coming true.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 12:59:22 PM »
Lol, there was this kid at the court house the other day.  He tried to tell me he could do a turn vault at hight with out even thinking about it, but he wouldn't even try it.  He said it would take less coordination then the length of his pinky.  For most of these people when it comes time to put up or shut up, they never put up.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Pat Kerby

• Guenons
  • To old to Parkour
    • View Profile
    • www.kerbybrothers.com
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 08:28:48 PM »
Let's face it, Parkour is easy....as long as you have strength, speed, agility, skill, precision, control, and endurance.  Correct me if I left anything out.
Director of "Essence of The Force" at www.kerbybrothers.com, and "Fightscenes For Motion Pictures" at www.kbproducts.com

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 09:37:23 PM »
The beautiful thing about parkour is that it acts as a windsheild wiper of sorts for our social perspective. It clears all of the filth of traditional movement, the pollen-haze of believing that you need to please or impress everyone and the birdshit that is adherence to the notions of what we are and aren't "supposed to do," set by looking only to the past, and not to urgency of the present, or to preparation for the future, and the road ahead.

Once we clear all of these obstructions, we can see clearly, without the restraints that blur the vision of others...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 09:39:21 PM by Asa »

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 09:39:39 PM »
Basically where I was going with this is: Do you  care if a stranger or even a friend thinks that what you do looks easy? Do you want your movements to impress someone? What is the purpose for what you're doing? Is it for yourself? Is it for attention? Is it for fun?

Those are a few things to ask yourself.

Offline ERI1044

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 04:34:46 AM »
yeah i rarely do parkour around anyone that doesn't do parkour...i'm really shy about it...

and when some people do come a long and say "oh that's easy" or "i can do that" i just ask them to join me...then they try to do a monkey or a kong and f#ck up and i have a good laugh :D
breathing isn't parkour!! HA, YOU CAN'T BREATH!

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 10:52:21 AM »
it's hard to deal with people like that. if you say, no, don't do it, you'll get hurt, they'll do it. if you say yea, it's not that hard but hey, it's fun, they might still try it and get hurt.
PK4LIFE!

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 01:52:57 PM »
when i tell people about pk, like in class or something where i cant show them any moves or things, they dont believe me cause the way i look. They think im too scrawny or something and they just keep saying "sure, you can...". But once i get out of class i tell them that if they can do one of these moves then ill shut up and admit im bad at it, but if you cant do any of them then you admit that i can do parkour. Then, it usually ends up me doing some stuff that they cant get themselves to even attempt and it puts pk in a better light than it was before because it seems like somebody says that they want to start practicing pk after all of this has happened.

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 02:01:21 PM »
This thread offers a VERY disturbing gague at people's motives...

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 04:31:14 PM »
This thread offers a VERY disturbing gague at people's motives...

why disturbing? I guess my post made it seem like i do pk for attention but that only happens if im talking about pk with my pk friends and somebody overhears us and asks us about it. In fact im not into pk for showing off...well its hard not to sometimes, but i do more pk by myself at home than anywhere else.

Anyway, what im trying to get at is why is it disturbing what peoples motives are...i mean unless its something like rob a bank, why does it matter if somebody is doing pk for the attention or any other reason? If they put pk in a positive light so it gets the same attention in would otherwise then why is it disturbing? i could see interesting instead but you make it seem like you just found out darth vader is your dad. lol.

Maybe im taking your post too literally but then again maybe im not and i am curious as to your word choice. Im not saying your stupid or insulting you or something like that. im just trying to get your point of view. ;)

Offline Valigon

• Patas
  • Death to those who oppose me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 08:11:15 PM »
Let's face it, Parkour is easy....as long as you have strength, speed, agility, skill, precision, control, and endurance.  Correct me if I left anything out.

Really you dont NEED them per say, i mean iv been doing parkour for 6 months, i cant do a single pull up (or musle up) i have hardly any agility, a little skill, no precision, control is gone, and i couldnt run a 1/4 mile if i had to, but i go out and have fun doing it anyway, i just gota take more brakes is all... as for people sayin oh i can do that, i was doing a david belle climb out infron of my school, and some punk walks up says "psh thats easy, i could do that!" well he got halfway, then lost it cus his hands were to high for his feet, and fell 4 feet on his face, gota bloody nose, he got up and said something along the lines of "maybe not" then he left to get tissues for his nose. gave him props for trying though. most people dont put out when they talk out.

Offline Mathew

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 10:28:37 AM »
Ok for that second post, the person i heard said is in NO WAY athletic. If they even atempted this kinda thing, they'd break their neck!

psycosis12

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2006, 11:48:11 AM »
haha someone told me it was easy today, they said they tried it yesterday going over a small wall, and he hit his knee! i laughed so hard, now he knows its kinda difficult!

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 08:01:52 AM »
not really.  if someone says "that looks easy" i take it as a compliment - it hopefully means my flow is really smooth and my movements are very efficient!

and as people have said, a good response is "ok you try it"  ;)
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Pat Kerby

• Guenons
  • To old to Parkour
    • View Profile
    • www.kerbybrothers.com
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 09:21:33 AM »
I would phrase it "you are welcome to join me".  Less of a challenge, and if they happen to be better than I am (which is likely in my case) them maybe I've found a new person to practice with.