Author Topic: Want to start but injured  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Paroxysm

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Want to start but injured
« on: January 17, 2009, 03:58:01 PM »
Hey guys, I've recently felt I want to start doing parkour/freeruning, but I recently injured my wrists in a skating accident. What can I do that would assist me in improving while not using my wrists? It's kind of funny, I hurt myself and NOW I wanna start becoming active, haven't touch my guitar in weeks, but once I hurt myself I suddenly wanna start playing.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
Re: Want to start but injured
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 04:22:06 PM »
Huh... well how hurt are they? Like can you run around? How much stress can you put on them?
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Paroxysm

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 04:30:03 PM »
I cannot put any stress on them without risking more damage, I just had an MRI yesterday so the doc's can see what the hell is wrong. Getting an MRI is boring as hell, you sit in a tube for 30 minutes, laying perfectly still, I bet if I had ADHD I wouldn't have gotten through that.

Offline Joeson Wong

• Patas
  • "Kuza"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 04:43:13 PM »
First off, Welcome to APK!

Secondly, if the injured wrist happens to be your dominant hand, you can practice being ambidextrous. But I guess you're already doing that since you can't really avoid it...

Well anyway, you can practice a bunch of lower body exercises like pistols, squats, tuck jumps, precisions, broad jumps, verts, etc... You can run too!

Take this injury as an opportunity to strengthen your lower body ;D

Offline Paroxysm

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 05:02:46 PM »
Ya, I was going to the weight room at school to work out for football season, we ran 2 miles a day, but since this injury my parents are forcing me to come home until I can heal, they are afraid I might hurt my hands somehow, wait till I tell them I'm getting into parkour...

Offline Joeson Wong

• Patas
  • "Kuza"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 05:11:42 PM »
Ya, I was going to the weight room at school to work out for football season, we ran 2 miles a day, but since this injury my parents are forcing me to come home until I can heal, they are afraid I might hurt my hands somehow, wait till I tell them I'm getting into parkour...

Well home training is always fun! You can still do a bunch of lower body exercises without machines...

And I think it's a good idea that your parents are telling you to wait for it to heal, it's better than accidentally injuring it again and waiting even longer.

Btw, Parkour probably has the least injury rate compared to regular sports... Since we usually practice slow and progressively and there's no equipment involved besides the body. Most people get injured by being uncautious and pure stupidity. Just remember, stay away from drops and test the object before practicing on it.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »

Btw, Parkour probably has the least injury rate compared to regular sports...

Want to emphasize: CAN. CAN have a lower injury rate. If you train smart, progress slowly, and are very careful, you can minimize most of the risk. Or you can be wreckless and try to progress too fast, and you will get hurt.

Offline Paroxysm

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 06:06:03 PM »
I'm prone to breaking bones... I don't know if that'll effect my chance of injurying myself. I might try to find a good place to practice where I live. Anyone by chance know a good place near Lynnwood, WA?

Offline Schuman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 09:06:03 PM »
Like zachary said, go slowly. One of the biggest mistakes new traceurs make is advancing too fast.
Just focus on lower body exercises until you're completely healed.
Focus, Intensity, Tempo,

Offline Mathew C

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 09:28:46 PM »
I feel you bro. I got really into parkour a while ago, gave myself a handsome set of stress injuries, made a commitment to stay off of parkour for a set time; now that time's almost up (like 3 days left), and I'm all better in the joints that were injured, but I fell and ended up developing chronic tendinitis in the process.

Offline Paroxysm

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 11:34:51 PM »
Oh dude, that sucks. I guess I gotta be careful. I'm gonna try to find some people who do it at school.

Offline daryy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 11:54:46 PM »
very well :-Sarcasm Order Subaru AC Compressor Direct, Save up to 60% off Dealer Prices! The discountacparts.com offers Exclusive Deals on Subaru A/C Compressor.
Mitsubishi  parts at discount pricing.Buy Mitsubishi  OEM Parts and Mitsubishi Precis Parts and Mitsubishi  Performance Parts.Free Shipping - One Year Lower Price Guarantee on Mitsubishi  Accessories & Parts.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:58:54 PM by daryy »
Online catalog with diagrams of factory OEM genuine nissan parts, accessories and performance parts from buyautoparts.com