Author Topic: Tuong Le's Training Log  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Tuong "The Wall" Le

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Enjoying life. One step at a time.
    • View Profile
Tuong Le's Training Log
« on: January 04, 2009, 12:24:51 AM »
I've taken a long break from parkour, mostly because of the bboying I've done throughout this year. But it's about time I got back into it. My name is Tuong Le, you can call me Wall-E. ;] And if you think that's stupid, then you can call me T. Haha.

January 3, 2009

1:40 PM
Finally got back into training after months off of it, due to no serious reason in particular. Started with a jog to the park, which is only a few blocks away. The fact that I got winded from that tells me a lot about how weak I've let my cardiovascular system become. (It's weird to me, because I'm dancing all the time and I figured that was helping. I guess not nearly enough.) Anyway, there's where I met up with my friend who I train with, Kenny. So, we stayed at the park and practiced vaults. Then, we decided to jog to town hall, where we always used to train. During the jog, we realized how bad at running we got. We both stopped about a block before we got there. We continued by drilling rolls, vaults, precisions, and cat leaps.

We did an exercise wear we scaled a wall hanging by our fingers. Through determination, we both made it across both ways.

Anyway, today was a really unstructured session, but it reopened our hearts to parkour and we're ready to start training again because of it. The things that I've realized I need to improve the most are:
-My cardiovascular endurance; I'll begin jogging/running everyday for at least 30 minutes.
-My rolls; because they're such a key component of parkour and mine aren't perfect yet because I still feel my spine touching the ground sometimes during drilling. Will continue drilling them.
-Balance,; because I can't hold a rail balance yet. I plan on making mini-rails like the ones I saw somewhere on this site to practice.
-Strength; I'll start working on being able to do the WOD. Been my goal for awhile, but never really dedicated to being able to do it. I will now. And I'll be starting the APK warm up as well.
-And those vaults. I have to drill those more often. Specifically, I want to learn the speed vault, polish my kong vault, learn a good turn vault, and know the right situation to use any of them.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 03:47:51 AM by Tuong Le aka Wall-E »

Offline David Boyle

• Patas
  • 5-10 - 185
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Re: Tuong Le's Training Log
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 03:34:55 PM »
Awesome stuff Tuong...the APK site has a lot of valuable workouts and gouge. 

Also the moderators here have tons of knowledge as well. 

Check out CrossFit.com for great fitness/conditioning that carries over into Parkour fitness too.

Keep at it w/ safe intensity, and remember Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 04:27:25 AM »
Thanks a lot, Mr. Boyle. =) I checked out CrossFit and it definitely looks like something I'll be working towards. Also, your quote is great! (The one in your signature: "Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated")

Anyway:

January 5, 2009

I woke up at 3 o clock in the morning today. I saw it as a sign that I should start all those things I told myself I would, since it gave me the time to. I opened up the APK warm up and some music and started. The only problem were the pull ups, because I was unable to find a suitable place to do them. Everyone in my house is still asleep, and it's dark out, so I'd rather not venture into the outdoors. The rest of the warm up was performed as stated, with the type of push ups changing each time around. (Regular wide, narrow, then diamond push ups.) I did dumbbell rows and curls for a substitute for the pull ups, even though I know they're not a real substitute. Next time, I plan on adding in handstand push ups (against a wall) and plank work. <---I did the planks today as well.

Questions:
-Is it better for me to do the pull ups sometime later in the day, or to move the entire warm up to after school, and just use this morning time for a jog? I could probably convince a friend to jog with me, and make me feel safer in the early morning.

Offline David Boyle

• Patas
  • 5-10 - 185
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 08:13:29 AM »

Questions:
-Is it better for me to do the pull ups sometime later in the day, or to move the entire warm up to after school, and just use this morning time for a jog? I could probably convince a friend to jog with me, and make me feel safer in the early morning.

That would be a great idea to do your running in the am..but if your worried about safety than I wouldn't recomend joggin in the morning. 

Maybe look into getting one of those door mounted pull-up bars for the time being....if your funds are good. 

Whatever you do just don't give up. 

Here is a link that has a lot of other helpful Parkour exercises.  You can do these just about anywhere.

Remember to be safe and train hard!

http://parkourelements.com/body/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 08:15:36 AM by David Boyle »

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 11:20:43 PM »
Yeah, I want a door mounted pull up bar. I'll try to get one when I have the funds.

January 6, 2009

I did 50 push ups and crunches for our warm up for our crew. Didn't do anything specific to parkour today. Stretched decently though, so that's good.

January 7, 2009

After school today, I jogged to town hall. It felt a lot better this time, I didn't completely, but I did power walk a block. I'm okay with that, I'll just gradually improve my cardiovascular endurance. Today, we trained on pull ups a lot. We realized that neither of us can do a dead hang muscle up yet, so that's one of our goals now. Also, to improve our max reps of pull ups. I got a bit weaker/less determined, because I only managed 4. I did a lot more than that, just not all in a row. Usually in sets of one and two. I definitely need to start working on them more, I now realize that. Besides the pull ups, we did some push ups, practiced our vaults, and scaled the wall once more to practice it. The wall seems easier to scale now for our arms, but the wall cuts into our hands slightly, so we're waiting for the callouses to form. =) For the vaults, I was working on Kong vaulting rails, something I was still afraid of. Now, I can do them a bit better, but I realized my form doesn't feel as good as it could be, not yet. I want more fluidity and power from my Kong vaults, so I'll be working on them more often, since they are my favorite vault. Also worked a bit on turn vaults, reverse vaults, and lazy vaults.

Didn't work on the rolls today, my mistake. Will work doubly hard tomorrow.