Author Topic: Help PLZ!  (Read 1490 times)

Offline GMan96

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Help PLZ!
« on: January 09, 2009, 09:22:05 PM »

Hey Im new here and id like a little help on how to get started on becoming a traceur.
Ive been try to practice by jumping over walls, balance ,and exercice but Im not sure if thats were to start.

Thanks G-Man

Nathan J.P.

Re: Help PLZ!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:00:49 AM »
Welcome,

Finding your way here is a pretty good start.  This forum does a great job at addressing questions you may have.  Youll find that if you look around its likely a question you have has been answered more than a handful of times already. That being said having a look at the topics in the FAQ section should be helpful. 

www.americanparkour.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,159/board,186.0/

Have fun

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 11:51:03 AM »
I think a question like this, while common, deserves a summary answer, because going by videos or general advice really isn't the best way to go. I personally got started in parkour by doing the type of stuff I saw in basics videos, which turned out to really not be very basic.

So I'll tell you what I really should have been doing when I got started, and which I am now doing to catch up.

The first step to starting parkour is to guage your abilities. Find the number of pushups, pullups, chin ups, etc. that you can do, and how far/fast you can run. Post them here if you'd like. Once you are acquaintanced with the strength of your body, learn what you can or cannot do in terms of technique. Try doing vaults, jumping over stuff, balancing on things, climbing over walls, etc. and have fun while you're at it.

Once you know what your capabilities are, THEN you can start improving.  In the beginning the most important thing is to become COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR BODY AND ITS MOVEMENT. I didn't do this, and immediately started trying some complicated moves, which didn't do anything for me. Although I didn't get hurt because I was careful, I hardly made any progression.
So, to become comfortable with your body and its movement, just do the simple things. Practicing foot placement on jumps (called precisions) is a great thing to do. It really helps with spatial awareness. Try vaults of all kinds, and climbing over walls/trees/whatever. Work on conditioning; work on your upper body, lower body, and core, and also work on your cardiovascular strength with running or biking.

Believe me, you'll know when you feel comfortable with movement, and just that is worth more than months of complicated technique practice.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline GMan96

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 05:56:26 PM »

Thanks for everyone's the help and time.

G-Man

Nathan J.P.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 07:42:06 PM »
 "I think a question like this, while common, deserves a summary answer, because going by videos or general advice really isn't the best way to go. I personally got started in parkour by doing the type of stuff I saw in basics videos, which turned out to really not be very basic."

^
^
Agreed Frank, the explanations i came across while looking around seemed better articulated than what I thought would have come from my fingertips. 

Gman I wasnt tryting to brush you off as "just another new kid" by not writing out my own summary. I could see how it could have come across like that.

Being comfortable with your body, and your movements, I agree is the most beneficial platform to work towards at the start. Then as you increase in your strength and skill you will have a comfortable foundation.

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 09:25:02 AM »
I feel like something like this should be super-stickied or something in huge letters on the front page of the forum, instead of having a bunch of individual threads that beginners are supposed to read. They just don't capture the importance of a good foundation.

I speak from experience and months of semi-wasted time that might have been salvageable if I had known a bit more about what I was doing.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline GMan96

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 06:31:38 PM »
  :) Thanks