Author Topic: May 2006 - Muscle Ups  (Read 10691 times)

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 10:37:26 PM by Demon »

Offline K.K.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: May - Muscle Ups
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 10:58:30 AM »
Is that what you guys doing those at Woodmen the other day?

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 01:42:05 PM »
yes. they were a little harder on that wooden beam though.

psycosis12

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 01:57:11 PM »
wtf!? why did you delete mine and then put yours, it was the same link, i just got to it before you did!  :P your just jealous!

Gearsighted

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 02:24:37 AM »
A couple of points that I found helped me when I finally learned these on a bar were to try and focus on keeping your elbows in tighter to your sides and to pull your shoulder-blades together powerfully as the main thrust of the pull. Good tutorial Demon, keep it up!

psycosis12

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 04:29:38 PM »
I CAN DO THREE IN A ROW! YAY ME!

Steez

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 08:09:27 PM »
these things are beasts!  but i do love them so!

Offline Andrew Workman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • *OFFICIAL* Grand Rapids Parkour Facebook Group!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 10:51:05 AM »
ya... tried to do one today for the first time... HOLY SHNIT IT IS HARD... I give props to anyone that can do more then 2 in a row. Good work guys.
Leader of Team Focus
Grand Rapids Michigan
Phone: 616-648-7305

Offline WindGod

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 12:55:17 PM »
Thank you so much for posting this, I do it ALOT in actual parkour (at least similar moves) but I never really thought about practicing them individually.  Once I got around to practicing them I was amazed how much strength it took, and almost instantly I recognized a difference in my wall climbs.
Current Self-record: 9 muscle ups in a row (I know its small, but I just started practicing these like 4 days ago.)

Windgod

Offline pete

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 01:47:01 PM »
id say 9 muscle-ups in a row is good to say you only started practicing 4 days ago. i just went outside and tried a muscle-up from dead hang and could barely do it, took all my strength to just get my right arm up then followed by the left arm. couldnt do a second one at all, although im sure the lop-sided branch i was using didnt help. i started practising them a couple of days ago, so i congratulate you on being able to do 9 in a row already...
its nice when people are nice...

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 07:28:45 PM »
Thank you so much for posting this, I do it ALOT in actual parkour (at least similar moves) but I never really thought about practicing them individually.  Once I got around to practicing them I was amazed how much strength it took, and almost instantly I recognized a difference in my wall climbs.
Current Self-record: 9 muscle ups in a row (I know its small, but I just started practicing these like 4 days ago.)

Windgod

I'm impressed. You come from a sport that requires a lot of upper body strength?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 08:23:15 PM by Steven L »
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 08:10:40 PM »
Are you sure?  If so thats pretty ridiculous because I just beat my record today and it was 3 but I got 5 today.  However this is on a round bar.  What did you do these muscle ups on?  I would be very impressed if you can do 9 in a row because Demon who can do 52 pullups straight can do like 11 muscle ups on rings so thats why I might be a little skeptical.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 08:27:16 PM »
Are you sure?  If so thats pretty ridiculous because I just beat my record today and it was 3 but I got 5 today.  However this is on a round bar.  What did you do these muscle ups on?  I would be very impressed if you can do 9 in a row because Demon who can do 52 pullups straight can do like 11 muscle ups on rings so thats why I might be a little skeptical.

Well, endurance pullups.. 15-20+.. doesn't really correlate well with muscle ups really. That's more of a strength-endurance issue when you're around 10 or so. The transition is easily the most draining part of a muscle up and it more resembles a shoulder extension movement which is overall very weak in terms of shoulder movments. In general in the scheme of muscle ups it goes something like this:

deadhang bar > deadhang rings > kipping rings > kipping bar

where deadhang bar is the hardest. I can do somewhere around 10 of them and my deadhang muscle ups are somewhere between 12-15... kipping is just really easy and only depends on lactic acid thresholds for when it gets too hard. It depends how he did them (kip vs non-kip.. and there is a significant difference), and if he comes from a sport (like gymnastics) that requires a lot of upper body strength and endurance. That can easily explain it.

Offline whiteninja

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 08:27:42 PM »
Today, I came pretty close to doing one. I finally realized what was meant by "pull and lean forward at the top."

I can currently do about 10 pull-ups and 10 dips, without weight (I weigh 170#).

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 05:37:13 AM »
Yeah if he's a gymnast I wouldn't be surprised at all.  Damn Steven you can do 12 deadhang bar muscle ups?

Offline WindGod

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 01:02:26 PM »
I used to do alot of gymnastics, and still do open gym alot which has really helped my upper body strength.  I did the muscle ups on a short-ish wall (between 5 and 6 feet) that is outside around my neighborhood. 
As wierd as it sounds, it seems like this has most of the same muscle movements as the rings in gymnastics, which it odd because they are free hanging, but it feels similar, just that I have more support on a wall.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 06:47:43 PM »
Yeah if he's a gymnast I wouldn't be surprised at all.  Damn Steven you can do 12 deadhang bar muscle ups?

~10 I have the vid in my training log. The 12-15 one is on rings. It's hard because on the bar you have to displace  your body while ascending which requires more energy even though the rings are inherently more unstable.

I used to do alot of gymnastics, and still do open gym alot which has really helped my upper body strength.  I did the muscle ups on a short-ish wall (between 5 and 6 feet) that is outside around my neighborhood. 
As wierd as it sounds, it seems like this has most of the same muscle movements as the rings in gymnastics, which it odd because they are free hanging, but it feels similar, just that I have more support on a wall.

yeah, I know. I never did bar muscle ups until like a few months ago and I could already do 8+ of them just because rings strength transfers very well to the bar or the wall.

Offline applesauce1289

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: May 2006 - Muscle Ups
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 02:21:14 PM »
I know I need a more powerful pullup, so I need to start adding weight when I do pullups, but after I notice a significant difference in strength, what's the easiest way to transition myself into muscleups?  I've tried jumping into them and I can't do it on anything higher than my head.  Should I try kipping on a bar?

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 03:16:20 PM »
Just either straight up muscle it (e.g. with false grip and a powerful pull) or just kip it. I think Jim put both techniques in his muscle up guide on beastskills.com

Offline applesauce1289

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »
Is it easiest to start out on a bar?