Author Topic: Wall Run (horizontal)  (Read 8412 times)

Offline Chris Eddington

• Patas
    • View Profile
Wall Run (horizontal)
« on: January 07, 2009, 12:18:52 AM »
This topic has been brought up before on the forum, I hope I'm not spamming too much by opening it up one more time. Though I've never seen the action as particularly practical, I'm still endlessly fascinated (and troubled) by it. Hard as I try I can't get that second step in, at least not in any meaningful way. I try to let the initial step sink in order to keep me from bouncing off early, whilst rushing for that second step, I can maybe tap my toes on the wall before coming down if I'm lucky. I have extremely long legs, which I think might be part of my problem (particularly when it comes to the whole getting tangled up on the second step part), but I'd like to think that this is still a possibility for me. All tips are appreciated.

berky93

Re: Wall Run (horizontal)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:27:54 PM »
try bending the knee of your leading foot a little more. that means it will be easier to get the second foot on the wall. and remember, its important to be as horizontal as possible on the wall.

Offline Zach Hu Zerdaty

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Traceur for life.
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 04:16:10 PM »
just to note, while the horazontal wall run is real, its not real-y practical, in most situations. i find it helps to hav verry flexible soul shoes or barely and soals at all.
Peace - Zach Hu Zerdaty.

Offline Derik (QuikSilva) DaSilva

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 05:11:17 PM »
My advice is to keep training vertical wall runs. As your body gets more used to the idea of travelling perpendiclar to the way it's moved your entire life, moving horizontally will become more natural. If you can do a 2- or 3-step vertical wall run, keep doing it, but changing the angle slightly. basically, make it progressive. keep making the angle 'deeper' until you can run horizontally. Just remember, the more you can do vertically, the easier it will be horizontally (eventually).

Hope that helped!

Offline Chris Eddington

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 05:26:35 PM »
I hadn't though of the progression angle... Excellent idea though.

Offline Josh Wright

• Hirundo Rustica
  • A world is out there to explore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 05:11:01 AM »
It's hard for me to relate since I am a shorter guy, but practicing vertical wall runs would probably be a good idea! (Even though I have never practiced those).

Also, try to think of it as if the wall is the ground. You bring one foot up when you're walking/running so you would do the exact same with a 2 or 3 step tic-tac. (That's how I look at it anyway). Bending the knees could possibly help since you are taller.

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 06:09:04 PM »
I don't know about horizontal wall-runs, but in my experience, one step on the wall is more effective and gets me more distance/height than trying to take 2 or more steps.
So I would say that if you are going for practical movements, forget the horizontal wall-run for now, and abandon it for tic-tacs and regular passe murailles. If you are going for improved coordination/body awareness/aesthetics, go ahead with the horizontal wall-runs.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

berky93

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 12:28:34 PM »
well 2 or more steps could be practical to get over a gap or over an object. if the gap is too far to just cat leap, you can wallrun then jump off of the wall to get a little more distance.

Offline Tai

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 05:46:25 PM »
Try changing which foot you step with, using the foot closest to the wall is good for power, but for a second step i prefer the outside foot. I hope this makes sense.

berky93

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 09:01:24 PM »
also stepping with the far foot can cause you to trip up badly on the wall and crash hard, which sucks (have done it before)

I found its easier for me to step with my left foot first (I'm a righty, use right foot to push up hard onto the wall)

it does mean that you are more proficient from one side of a wall than the other, but once you get good you can practice from the other side.

Offline Mathew C

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 10:52:07 PM »
I'm not sure if you were directly asking, but I'll answer anyway just to throw in my two cents:
Horizontal wall-runs are almost never going to be the most efficient way (or the only way) to get from point A to point B. There are a lot of people (a LOT) who can cat leap / running long jump 20+ feet. There are very few people (if any) who can get that distance with a horizontal wall-run.

The only example I could think of would be If there were a gap, and you needed to grab something projecting from the wall and suspended over the gap. I would have to be a wierd combination of lateral and upward distance, like 9 feet forward from the edge of the gap and 9 feet up. But even then, a traceur with a vertical leap of more than ~24~ inches could just jump normally.

Sideview (x = grabbing point)
                             x

l

Offline Sean C

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • just lose yourself in the music and movement...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 05:34:31 AM »
ITs Greart that you would bring up wallruns because just the other day they started to bother me too cause they just look so sic. but anyway i was trainin struff yesterday and thought i should suggest that you try to run corners. its somewhere to start at least gettin you second foot on the wall. thats what im workin on and maybe trhat will help me figure out technique and stuff

berky93

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 02:35:09 PM »
its not always that you HAVE to use wallruns to get from point A to point B, its just another efficient option. I mean why do you need to do a speed vault when you could do a dash vault in the same situation? its because you know there will be that one time when the object is too high for a dash vault, or you cant clear the distance with one. you have to keep yourself open to every option you can get, just in case the time comes when you need it.

plus, its fun as hell.

Offline Chris Eddington

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 09:17:47 PM »
Certainly the efficiency angle isn't the main one here. I imagine you'd have to have the technique at a seriously advanced level before it served you well in a dire situation. But all that aside its still not a bad ability to have. I would consider it more of a psychological triumph for me than anything else. Kind of conquering one of my physical road blocks. Being tall with long legs has been a blessing in my other activities, but its definitely been a mixed one in Parkour.

Offline Derik (QuikSilva) DaSilva

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 09:31:21 PM »
Being tall with long legs has been a blessing in my other activities, but its definitely been a mixed one in Parkour.

WORD! Like I said, the best thing to do here is progression. Start by finding a low wall that you can't just jump up to or vault, but is still pretty low of a cat. If you can reach into a cat, that's be a good wall to start on. Try a vertical wall run to crane. If you can't crane it, try to get your second foot as high as possible until you can crane. If you can crane it, keep running up it until you can percision it. Note the height of the wall. Find a higher wall, do the same thing. and a higher one, and the same thing. THEN find a horizontal wall that is as wide as the first wall was tall. then try th progressive angle thing I talked about earlier. Start Vertical ( l ). go at a 45 degree angle ( \ ) then horizontal ( -- ).

Good luck!

Offline Important Somebody

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 04:49:43 PM »
I wouldn't think height has much to do with it. For starters, get going quickly doing one step on the wall, and then go to three. Skip two steps because the second step is just a lead in to the third and will be quite awkward if that's all you do because the landing may be a little messed up because if you think about it, wall running is just running normally, but on a wall. For the full wall run, here's what I suggest: 3/4 sprint up to that wall, and plant the first foot. Here, do not stop, but keep running naturally, but leaning out of the wall. When I started I had the same problem, but I was lucky enough to find some padded walls in a gym and some mats to prevent injury. With the confidence, it just happened. As far as shoes go: don't worry about it, they really have little impact so long as they have a little grip; the biggest problem with be the wall and whether or not it is wet. Practice on a padded wall or on a brick wall. They are the best. And don't bother if it is raining or it just rained. Its too slippery until you have mastered the movement. Anyway, that's my two bit on the matter, and I hope it helped you. Good Luck.

Offline Zach Hu Zerdaty

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Traceur for life.
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 09:31:30 AM »
I wouldn't think height has much to do with it. For starters, get going quickly doing one step on the wall, and then go to three. Skip two steps because the second step is just a lead in to the third and will be quite awkward if that's all you do because the landing may be a little messed up because if you think about it, wall running is just running normally, but on a wall. For the full wall run, here's what I suggest: 3/4 sprint up to that wall, and plant the first foot. Here, do not stop, but keep running naturally, but leaning out of the wall. When I started I had the same problem, but I was lucky enough to find some padded walls in a gym and some mats to prevent injury. With the confidence, it just happened. As far as shoes go: don't worry about it, they really have little impact so long as they have a little grip; the biggest problem with be the wall and whether or not it is wet. Practice on a padded wall or on a brick wall. They are the best. And don't bother if it is raining or it just rained. Its too slippery until you have mastered the movement. Anyway, that's my two bit on the matter, and I hope it helped you. Good Luck.

I do a three step wall run, but I can make the same distance in one step if I do it right, so I do belive its more asthetic but oh well, haha.
Peace - Zach Hu Zerdaty.

Offline Tai

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 03:05:24 PM »
I always thought a horizontal wallrun would be nice for a precision 3 or 4 feet away from the wall at the end of the run.                                   ______             I
                    So this is the object----->    I_____I             I
                                                                                      I
                                                                                      I     <--------Wall
                                                                                      I
                                                                                      I
                                                                                      I
                                                                                      I
                                                                                      I

Yeah some thing like that.... Sadly I have never seen it.

Offline Important Somebody

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 03:50:49 PM »

I do a three step wall run, but I can make the same distance in one step if I do it right, so I do belive its more asthetic but oh well, haha.

Wait, what?

Offline Chris Eddington

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 10:21:19 PM »
I wish I could tic tac that far.