Author Topic: MonaVie, Acai, and Other "Superfruit" Juices/Berries  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
MonaVie, Acai, and Other "Superfruit" Juices/Berries
« on: July 24, 2008, 10:09:58 AM »
Someone sent me a link to this today, thought I'd post it up in response to all the recent obsessions about Acai and other 'suprefruits.' This study found that Red Delicious apples have about 3 times the anti-oxidants acai drinks do, and blueberries 5 times.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4086

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: MonaVie, Acai, and Other "Superfruit" Juices/Berries
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 06:39:44 PM »
and for this you get a +1!

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 06:05:30 PM »
Pretty much any fruit ending in "-berry" is a good source of antioxidants... if you wanted more. :P
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 04:43:21 AM »
LoL.. This reminds me of Joe Eigo trying to sell us all Noni juice.. and then one of my students in Hamilton, who trains tricking with Eigo, becoming a distributor and trying to sell me Noni juice.. oh, yes, and he did try to sell me on becoming a distributor.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Marshall Cent Lewis

• Mangabey
  • PKVA - Richmond, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 07:24:48 AM »
I know this is an old post, but I wanted to post my thanks and bump it for anybody else that may have been wondering about it.
I heard about Acai juice from a friend the other day and I was very intrigued as to why the FDA wouldn't allow such an awesome thing.  Now I know why  =P
But at least it tastes good haha.
USMC Combat Engineers
Nut up or shut up!

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 06:21:18 PM »
Actually thank you for this bump... I never saw this thread!

FDA wouldn't allow it though? I'm missing something...
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Marshall Cent Lewis

• Mangabey
  • PKVA - Richmond, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 08:58:51 AM »
Yup, that's why it's only sold via internet and personal distributors.  I believe what that does is basically the FDA won't allow stores to sell the products under the semi-false advertising they do.  Some other variations on the drinks are still sold in stores, like "Bom Dia's Acai Energy" drinks at Food Lion.  But it's not sold with the intention of "you'll lose weight, it's the healthiest thing ever, buy buy buy"; it's sold as a natural energy drink, which it does a splendid job at.  It just so happens that it's also extremely healthy too  :)

But I dunno how the FDA works so I could wrong on my assumptions.
USMC Combat Engineers
Nut up or shut up!

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 10:00:20 AM »
The FDA doesn't allow you to make false or unsupported medical claims and doesn't allow you to have secret ingredients and secret formulations.

You can get things like Acai etc normally in all sorts of products and forms, just not ones with misleading labels basically.

It's just like say red grapes and cucumbers, you can get them as fresh produce, you can get them as things like shampoos and cremes with refreshing cucumber extract and lavander scent or something, and even in pill form, you just can't buy it in packages that claim that cucumbers cure all cancer and make you 20 years younger and were known by the ancient Egyptians to ward off evil spirits and mother in laws.
I think saying the FDA doesn't allow a product can be part of marketing schemes too, as many people seem to like and respond to things that sound like global conspiracies "miracle berries they don't want you to know".

As always it's easy to spot these kinds of over-hyping/scams by looking at the lack of references for claims, asking yourself "how do they know that's the case", and putting things into context with numbers/measurements and actual practical results.