Author Topic: Height and the broad jump...  (Read 9671 times)

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Height and the broad jump...
« on: December 18, 2008, 12:45:14 PM »
so i was bored at work and took the elevator down to the freight room, and did some *standing broad jumps. '

i got some pretty good runs, but i'm wondering how much my height helps me out, (if any)

like if i was 5'6'' would it be alot harder to break a 10 ft long jump?(about 6'-6'1'' ) 

or does it not even matter. anyways, just curious.

the floor is lavA!

Offline Corey Rift Ehrler

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Height and the broad jump...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 07:32:05 PM »
I think it matters how long your legs are and the power behind them.  It will vary for different strengths and body types... My roommate could do a running long jump 22' and he is only 5'7".  Were you clearing 10" on your standing?? (And your about 6'1" tall right).  I am 5'7" myself and I probably get close to 8'6" or 9' but 9' is definitely pushing it.
Push Yourself to the Limit and Experience Strength You Never Imagined

"We train the most inefficient things possible, in order to make them efficient." -Matthew Willis Texas PK

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 08:05:56 PM »
i wasn't warmed up but i got 10 '3'' once i think i could do better honestly,
the floor is lavA!

Offline chodantraceur

• Patas
  • Moveo ergo sum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 09:06:25 PM »
I don't know. I'm five nine and I jump either 7' 9" or 8' 1", although I'm sure I could do better.

"Fear is just the word ear with an "F" in front of it and ears are pretty funny."  - Jackson Miller
http://inov-8.com/Home.asp?L=27

Offline Matt Hein

• Patas
  • Dallas, Texas PK
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 09:08:52 PM »
I don't know. I'm five nine and I jump either 7' 9" or 8' 1", although I'm sure I could do better.

I'm right around with you. I try and measure from my heel. I count the balls of my feet cause that is what I catch ledges and railings on.. But if I count that I can be around 8'6"
A bad traceur does a move untill he gets it right. A great traceur does it untill he is not able to get it wrong.

matcauthon12

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 04:56:49 AM »
You know how tall I am Vinny and I can get a good 9' on my precisions. I don't think height matters overly much, as long as you can make up for it with a strong core and strong legs (as well as good technique, which I think makes the biggest difference). Look at Belle and Foucan, they are not big guys and they have HUGE broad jumps and running jumps.

Offline Kevin Davies

• hacker supreme
  • Patas
  • Tacoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 06:57:47 AM »
I think height can help.  I am 6'4ish and have pretty poor strength to weight ratio (I weigh 210 and only squat about 160), but I can still do an okay standing broad jump.  (I can constantly hit 8'8" measuring at the back of the heel, which easily translate to 9' if you are landing on the balls of your feet for a precision).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 06:59:58 AM by Kevin Davies »

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 09:06:51 AM »
I think height can help.  I am 6'4ish and have pretty poor strength to weight ratio (I weigh 210 and only squat about 160), but I can still do an okay standing broad jump.  (I can constantly hit 8'8" measuring at the back of the heel, which easily translate to 9' if you are landing on the balls of your feet for a precision).

oh shittt give me your youtube, i wanna see what 6'4'' PK looks like haha
the floor is lavA!

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 05:59:56 PM »
I think that height, body type, natural talent, ect. will only take you so far. Practice and dedication is what will really affect those hops in the long run.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 12:52:49 PM »
none of that matters. some pro football players are like 5-7 and jump 12 ft. keep working is all.
I like to touch different kinds of surface textures.
Parkour lets me do that without feeling weird.

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 02:27:58 PM »
I think that height, body type, natural talent, ect. will only take you so far. Practice and dedication is what will really affect those hops in the long run.

as much as wed all love to believe that, i'm pretty sure its the other way around. at least when it comes to static power.
the floor is lavA!

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 03:11:18 PM »
oh shittt give me your youtube, i wanna see what 6'4'' PK looks like haha

I just realized that my parkour training partner is right around 6'4", and he's pretty good.

Picture normal parkour, but longer. ::)

Offline Kevin Davies

• hacker supreme
  • Patas
  • Tacoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 03:27:07 PM »

That is very true, BUT the inverse is also true .  Practice and dedication will only take you so far, if you don't have the genetics you will not get as far as some one who works as hard as you and has superior genetics.  Of course we should all reach for our maximum potential and not limit ourselves by what we think our in born limitations, But we should not beat ourselves up and think that we are not working hard enough if after tons of hard work someone else can still kick our butt.  For example, I can reach an 8 ft high ledge without jumping.  If  you are 5'3" no amount of hard work will make you able to reach that ledge without climbing or jumping.  Again, i don't want to say people should limit themselves because of their genetics, but it can be useful to evaluate the gifts you were given to see how you can best take advantage of them.

Offline Joeson Wong

• Patas
  • "Kuza"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 08:01:17 PM »
Wow I thought my broad jump was pretty crap(it's a bit above 9 feet) but I guess it's good considering my height(5'7")

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 09:54:04 AM »

That is very true, BUT the inverse is also true .  Practice and dedication will only take you so far, if you don't have the genetics you will not get as far as some one who works as hard as you and has superior genetics.  Of course we should all reach for our maximum potential and not limit ourselves by what we think our in born limitations, But we should not beat ourselves up and think that we are not working hard enough if after tons of hard work someone else can still kick our butt.  For example, I can reach an 8 ft high ledge without jumping.  If  you are 5'3" no amount of hard work will make you able to reach that ledge without climbing or jumping.  Again, i don't want to say people should limit themselves because of their genetics, but it can be useful to evaluate the gifts you were given to see how you can best take advantage of them.

word! +1
the floor is lavA!

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 11:50:16 AM »
Quote from: Kevin Davies

For example, I can reach an 8 ft high ledge without jumping.  If  you are 5'3" no amount of hard work will make you able to reach that ledge without climbing or jumping. 

here are a few examples of short nba players (who all have dunked on a 10 ft rim) yes they had to jump to grab that ledge, but getting up that far is very possible.

mugsey bogues - 5'3'' <----
spud webb - 5'7''
earl boykins - 5'5"

granted these guys have natural born talent, but being 5'3" should show that mugsey isnt that much better then anyone genetically. the point is never say never and keep working at it. hell, earl boykins can prolly jump clean over the average person!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:00:28 PM by Terry McIntosh »

Offline Kevin Davies

• hacker supreme
  • Patas
  • Tacoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 02:03:24 PM »
granted these guys have natural born talent, but being 5'3" should show that mugsey isnt that much better then anyone genetically. the point is never say never and keep working at it. hell, earl boykins can prolly jump clean over the average person!
Well actually though Mugsey wasn't blessed with genes for height, doesn't mean that he wasn't given superior genes for jumping.  Like I said you shouldn't limit yourself because of what you THINK your genetic disadvantages are, and your examples show that, but my point was there are limitations to how far hard work and determination can get you and that is OKAY.  There are a lot of people who make the excuse that the just weren't born to do something so they don't even try, BUT there are also a lot of people who work really really hard towards something and can never quit achieve it and feel bad because they think they are just too lazy or not determined enough.  My point is that this second set of people don't need to feel bad.  They can feel happy that they pushed their capabilities as far they could and it is okay if other people are more capable.

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 02:37:15 PM »
Well actually though Mugsey wasn't blessed with genes for height, doesn't mean that he wasn't given superior genes for jumping.  Like I said you shouldn't limit yourself because of what you THINK your genetic disadvantages are, and your examples show that, but my point was there are limitations to how far hard work and determination can get you and that is OKAY.  There are a lot of people who make the excuse that the just weren't born to do something so they don't even try, BUT there are also a lot of people who work really really hard towards something and can never quit achieve it and feel bad because they think they are just too lazy or not determined enough.  My point is that this second set of people don't need to feel bad.  They can feel happy that they pushed their capabilities as far they could and it is okay if other people are more capable.

ok, i can agree with that. i think the point i was trying to make was that a lot of what people find "impressive" or "amazing" is well with in the reach of most people willing to work hard. can anyone be an olympic long jumper? no! can anyone (man or woman) get their broad jump over 10 ft? hell yes! look, there are genetic limiting factors that prevent 99% of us from being world record holders. (that phelps guy was just born to swim omg!) however, saying you can't do something ever due to genetics, most of the time is just a cop out. so in the end... your right kevin  :)

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 03:12:28 PM »
Is height a factor in broad jump length of course. Lets take it to an extreme just looking at them which would assume would be able to jump further Shaq or Vern Troyer?  Height is not the only factor but there is reason that NBA players are much taller on average then the general population same for high jumpers and to a lesser extent long jumpers. Height, weight, strength, neural efficiency, muscle fiber type, tendon and ligament elasticity and muscle and tendon insertion points are some of the basic biometric characteristics that effect jumping ability. Some of those traits are easily changed through training some are not changeable at all and others are more difficult to change. The average height of the top 10 long jumpers of all time is just under 6^1 with 6^3 being the tallest only three are below 5^11, Average weight is 170 pounds with only one athlete in the top ten over 185. These guys are tall, lean, and long limbed with very long and elastic tendons and eight of the top ten are of african descent. Not exactly a super diverse group. Of course this is for the running long jump which is slightly different challenge then a standing broad jump(the standing long jump world record 12^2 is held by a norwegian) the point is that certain body types are better adapted to different tasks. You will never see a great olympic weight lifter built like a great long jumper or vice versa. Some traceurs will have builds that will allow them to easily jump great distance others will be super strong and able to climb extremely parkour offers very diverse set of challenges so a range of people who can excel at it will be broader and the best traceurs will be closer to average in build then say gymnasts or powerlifters but.

Just because its interesting info.
The top ten high jumpers average just under 6^4 inches and 167 pounds on average super tall and skinny also three were of african descent, one of east asian, and six from northern and eastern europe.
The top ten hundred meter sprinters of all time average 6^0 178 pounds 10 our of ten are of african (specifically west african) origin.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:32:52 PM by Rafe »
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 06:46:30 PM »
nice post rafe!

From what I understand a big component of the precision is a kipping movement, which means you can get a lot of extra distance if you are coordinated (proper form). Generally speaking I would say it is easier for smaller people to coordinate this (less to coordinate!), but taller people have a greater potential because of it. So I think if you're taller you 'should' be able to jump farther, but it's harder for you to learn how to. It seems that once people get their form down proper in parkour, everyone is reasonably close to each other in distance. You should be able to effect it marginally once you approach your maximum by figuring out whether you are lacking in power or form and focusing on improving that aspect.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through