Author Topic: PKUSA 09-Texas- Austin-June 25th-June 28th  (Read 7717 times)

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
PKUSA 09-Texas- Austin-June 25th-June 28th
« on: December 16, 2008, 07:04:45 PM »
I apologize for the double post.  This should be the official PKUSA thread (admins)
Who- Texas Parkour will officially be holding PKUSA.  With the help of originators of the Jam.  E.X.O and other Northern Traceurs.

When- Starting June 25th and ending June 28th.

What-4 days of training. Starting June 25th with night check in.  26th will be a day filled with workshops, classes and games.  27th will begin with a warm-up, rules, and a release to enjoy the Texas landscape.  The 28th will begin with much of the same, concluding with a TEXAS STYLE cook-out and party to enjoy each others philosophies, ideas and company

Where- San Antonio, Texas (new info)

HOUSING Friday the 26th and Saturday the 27th housing will be in a GYMNASTICS FACILITY.  From about 9pm each night we are having gym sleep overs, we will be leaving the gym at 9am each morning.  PRICE for housing will be $30 for two days and $15 for one day.  Free housing will also be available. To anyone. (new info)

17 or YOUNGER must have a waiver signed in order to step foot onto the gymnastics floor.  No waiver will be required for the jam itself.  We will try and get these available online as soon as possible (not in my hands)  :)

Break Break Down-
June 25th Large gathering this night in San Antonio Texas 8pm.  If you are coming in this day you will need to get a hold of us and rsvp your stay with us in San Antonio Texas.  We will have rides mid day taking people to Austin and back to San Antonio.  Workshops and fun in Austin will start at 11am.  This day is impromptu most stuff will be in Austin. Let us know more about what we can do to accommodate you on this day.  Anyone that flies into Austin Texas will receive a ride to San Antonio for all weekend facilities.
June 26th Workshops will start at 10am in San Antonio.  This day we will set out and be everywhere in San Antonio.  There will be lots of moving and we are going to be taking you to small hotspots all around the day.  This day will end in the Gymnastics gym that holds our parkour classes around 8pm.  If you plan on staying in the gym it will be $15 a night.  The easiest way for us to track is if your in the gym, your gonna pay.  Whether your choosing the free housing route (we offer free housing as well) or not, you will need to pay the $15 fee if you choose to use the gym.
June 27th We will be out of the gym by 9am that morning.  We will caravaan to downtown San Antonio where we will have paired jamming along with workshops the first half of the day.  Afterwards we will eat, and do more jamming down town.  We end at the Gym again that night around 8pm.
June 28th In the morning we will caravaan to Texas State.  We will jam the university then move to one of the best playgrounds you will ever see in your life.  After this, we plan on having a good old style Texas Bar-B-Que.

We are more then willing for ANYONE to come in early for PKUSA and leaving Late.  Make sure to RSVP all with us and we will work it out.

*WHAT kind of information are you guys looking for?  Is there more info that you guys need for the event?*

Why-  PKUSA was created for people to get together and train with others from all over the United States and even the world.  PKUSA's  last year of existence was in the process of becoming picked up by different communities each year.  After the major flub and increase of some very amazing and great National Jams around the US, PKUSA is back.

PKUSA was not brought back to trump other jams.  PKUSA was brought back to help those with low income and a relative low amount of information about ever parkour scene in the US.  PKUSA this year will be created so that those trying to figure, out of the very many national jams that are held in the US, which to come to if you only have one chance to meet the most influential as possible.  Our goal was to bring as many traceurs from everywhere to meet at a common place without the wars between "factions" and to go out and train with everyone.  We hope that everyone will be created equal and that we may all train under one roof with little misconceptions and possible RECONNECTION!

Hear what others are saying about the jam.  The good, the bad and the ugly. :)
http://parkournorthamerica.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?9690.last
http://nyparkour.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3255

A word from E.X.O
Earlier this Year I reached out Matthew L.W. of TXPK and told him about my Idea to Bring PKUSA back, and He shared my enthusiasm over the project. Over the last two or so years since the last one allot of regional "National" Jams have popped up. But the amount of them occurring every year, not to mention the ones in planing, and the typical traceurs budget don't add up, forcing people to make a choice, which Jam can they afford this year, if any? which have turned these regional "National" Jams into "State" jams. and it seems like the original point of having a national Jam is being lost, which was to have one central place were you could reunite with all of your traceur friends at least once a year to learn, socialize and grow. Now I'm not putting down State jams. quite the contrary, I think they have there purpose, and those that can afford to go to them should continue, but I'd like to bring back the old feeling of having one Central Jam, were if you could only save up enough money for one a year, like alot of us! that jam would be it without question! the one were you could see the most of your traceur friends and learn the most on a limited dime

So the idea is to Bring back the PKUSA, many traceurs first Jam, But to not pigeon hold it to just New York like the originals. I'd like it to be a rotating Jam that highlights a different scene every year, starting with Texas this year in June. It also shouldn't just be another mass gathering also. Since The Original PKUSA's basically set the Big Jam model in America,that others have built upon We aim for the New ones to redefine them, with actual workshops in different area's of PK designed to enhance your knowledge and improve your personal performance level. round table discussion of this years topics of interest as well as how to Improve the state of PK in the US or weather it even needs improvement, ( at night when were done training of course) Free instruction on the best ways to get started for those who feel they need it ( cause there's always allot of first timers at these events, and they should be encouraged) Injury management and prevention Sessions, possibly overseas guests (in the future that is, lol) food, Games (uh... but not competitive games right!, lol) and of course, JAMING!!!!!

This is the Overall Idea or goal we've been toying with for the last couple of months and plan on expanding, and I'd like to open it up to the community at large to get your opinion and see if it's something that were all interested in having, or should we just stick to the ever multiplying State jams?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:43:50 PM by Matthew Lee Willis »
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Rek

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: PKUSA 09-Texas- Austin-June 25th-June 28th
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
Hey, replying off of another post.  Does anyone near the jamming area planning on lodging any traceurs?  Going to do some research on hotels near the area, but if someone knows of a good motel/hotel (price)  ::) near the jam area, please let us outoftowners know.  Thank you! ;)  A handful from Arizona are planning on being there by the way.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:10:22 PM »
We will actually be housing everyone who wants to be cramped.  No need to get a hotel unless you feel like getting one.  Tho, let me know if you plan on staying sooner then later.  Thanks.

Offline Dmartin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 03:07:29 PM »
this is going to be so much fun i cant wait

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 05:59:16 PM »
I will see if I can make it. It's pretty close in to the end of the school year for me so $$ and time will be an issue but I will hoard my pennies. :) I have always wanted to check things out in Texas; I see you guys everywhere but in your home state and I'd love to finally get down there.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Bao

• Patas
  • Alan Tran
    • View Profile
    • NCParkour
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 06:40:54 PM »
This sound really exciting. If this jam doesn't interfere with a family trip, it might be possible for me to come.

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
Re: PKUSA 09-Texas-June 25th-June 28th
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 09:56:01 AM »
Alissa, it'd be great to train with you again. :)

Information on this jam is currently changing.  We're trying to get some kinks worked out in terms of logistics, training locations, and business partnerships.  Particularly of note, the large majority of it will likely not be in Austin, but rather San Antonio, due to a really cool business deal!  I really apologize for the late announcement, and we'll get it sorted out just as quickly as we can.
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 07:13:57 AM »
New INFORMATION *also reflected in first post*

Where- San Antonio, Texas

HOUSING Friday the 26th and Saturday the 27th housing will be in a GYMNASTICS FACILITY.  From about 9pm each night we are having gym sleep overs, we will be leaving the gym at 9am each morning.  PRICE for housing will be $30 for two days and $15 for one day.  Free housing will also be available. To anyone. (new info)

Break Break Down-
June 25th Large gathering this night in San Antonio Texas 8pm.  If you are coming in this day you will need to get a hold of us and rsvp your stay with us in San Antonio Texas.  We will have rides mid day taking people to Austin and back to San Antonio.  Workshops and fun in Austin will start at 11am.  This day is impromptu most stuff will be in Austin. Let us know more about what we can do to accommodate you on this day.  Anyone that flies into Austin Texas will receive a ride to San Antonio for all weekend facilities.
June 26th Workshops will start at 10am in San Antonio.  This day we will set out and be everywhere in San Antonio.  There will be lots of moving and we are going to be taking you to small hotspots all around the day.  This day will end in the Gymnastics gym that holds our parkour classes around 8pm.  If you plan on staying in the gym it will be $15 a night.  The easiest way for us to track is if your in the gym, your gonna pay.  Whether your choosing the free housing route (we offer free housing as well) or not, you will need to pay the $15 fee if you choose to use the gym.
June 27th We will be out of the gym by 9am that morning.  We will caravaan to downtown San Antonio where we will have paired jamming along with workshops the first half of the day.  Afterwards we will eat, and do more jamming down town.  We end at the Gym again that night around 8pm.
June 28th In the morning we will caravaan to Texas State.  We will jam the university then move to one of the best playgrounds you will ever see in your life.  After this, we plan on having a good old style Texas Bar-B-Que.

Offline RandJordan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 02:06:20 PM »
I Hope that Texas style bar-b-que consists of Rudy's Bar-B-Que sauce ;)

Offline Lonnie Tisdale

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • San Diego Parkour, PKCali.com
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 04:19:16 PM »
So Sunday is the only day you guys will be in Austin? I assume the BBQ is at Zilker Park?

I may fly into Austin for the weekend since I have a lot of family I could stay with. It would be awesome to meet so many people for the first time!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 04:20:55 PM by Lonnie Tisdale »
"Let the fear of danger be a spur to prevent it; he that fears not, gives advantage to the danger."

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 07:47:50 PM »
MORE INFO*

17 or YOUNGER must have a waiver signed in order to step foot onto the gymnastics floor.  No waiver will be required for the jam itself.  We will try and get these available online as soon as possible (not in my hands)  :)

FLIGHT  Try to fly into San Antonio International Airport (its going to be cheaper)  If/When purchising your tickets let TEXAS PARKOUR know what times you plan on arriving so that we may pick you up from the airport.  Very important that you let us know very well in advance.

Also, TEXAS STATE is in San Marcos.  We will be in San Marcos on Sunday.  Let us know if you are planning on flying into Austin.  We can try and get you a transport.

Offline Lonnie Tisdale

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • San Diego Parkour, PKCali.com
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 11:03:43 AM »
Ahh, my bad! I guess the thread title through me off... In that case, I'm not so sure. Perhaps I can fly into San Antonio for the weekend. I'm already taking so much time off work. :(
"Let the fear of danger be a spur to prevent it; he that fears not, gives advantage to the danger."

Offline Jereme Sanders

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 01:03:13 PM »
Looking forward to seeing who can make it. Anyone needing lodging for however long in SA you can pm me your info or email and I'll get it all set up.

"People may forget what you've done, or said, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

The Best part of Falling Down is Getting Back Up...

Offline Iceucold

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
Just giving everyone a head's up. Here's the schedule for the PKUSA events as of 06 June 2009:

Thursday June 25th:(view extended info for locations)
*11:00am*
For those who show up early we are meeting in Austin, Texas, at the base of the UT tower of the University of Texas.  Because Texas is so big, we are offering this day of training in Austin for those who decide to come early for the jam in San Antonio.
*7:00pm*
Dinner in Austin, then caravan leaves for San Antonio Thursday night and early Friday morning.

Friday June 26th:(view extended info for locations)
*11:00am*
Jamming begins in San Antonio for those who arrived early for the weekend.  There will be a lot of traveling this day as we will be hitting up small locations all around the San Antonio area.  For all locations that we visit,  workshops will also be held along with normal training.
Dinner. We will meet at Jereme Sanders' house to decide where/what about dinner.
*9:00pm*
Our Big Welcome. Meeting will be held at Rivercity Gymnastics. Briefing on our jamming schedule, rules, and sleeping arrangements will be at this time. No doubt there will be some sort of night training. ;)

Saturday June 27th:(view extended info for locations)
*10:00am*
Arrive at Hemisphere Park. Extensive warm up for those who want to join and a quick explanation of ground rules.
*1:00pm*
Break for lunch at Rivercity Mall food court. Then continue jamming downtown San Antonio.
Meetup and Dinner Time.
*9:00*
Arrive at Rivercity Gymnastics and possible tricking session.
*9:30*
Round table for US Community Leaders. Let's see what we can get accomplished.

Sunday June 28th:(view extended info for locations)
*9:00AM*
Leave from San Antonio in the morning. We will caravan to Texas State University in San Marcos.
*10:00AM*
Arrive at Texas State University. We will jam at the university for a couple hours.
*12:30PM*
Arrive at park in San Marcos, including one awesome playground. When we're not too busy vaulting over the picnic tables, a Texas style BBQ will be served on them.
*4:00pm*
Time to say our goodbyes. Caravans will leave the park and head toward San Antonio or your respected area.

:Extended information:

We're looking forward to seeing y'all down here.
Abs Patentia Veni Perfectio.

If it doesn't have four legs or fly, *expletive deleted* it.

-Desmund from Houston Parkour

Offline Rek

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 02:13:11 AM »
Any word on the waivers?  Theres gonna be about 10 from Arizona coming and 6 of them ages 14-17.  Let me know please  ;D.  Well be there Thursday night.

Offline Iceucold

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 03:55:18 PM »
Any word on the waivers?  Theres gonna be about 10 from Arizona coming and 6 of them ages 14-17.  Let me know please  ;D.  Well be there Thursday night.

Working on that right now. We should have a link for y'all out of towners soon. Just bear with us. :)
Abs Patentia Veni Perfectio.

If it doesn't have four legs or fly, *expletive deleted* it.

-Desmund from Houston Parkour

Offline RandJordan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 08:05:29 PM »

Working on that right now. We should have a link for y'all out of towners soon. Just bear with us. :)

Uh Oh.
Somethings up, Des' is using his suave and charm to calm the masses not enrage them :O
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:59:37 AM by RandJordan »

Offline psycosis12

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 08:44:59 PM »
Yo, I'm gonna be going to that area because I'm being stationed in Ft. Hood, Texas. Hopefully I can jam with you guys and show texas what I did to D.C./M.D/V.A.

Offline AdamWis

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 02:04:47 PM »
Im definatley gonna go to this....but if Im driving there, where should I go to? Im not really sure if it starts in SA or Austin.
I also need to know about the waiver.

Offline Anne

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 01:52:19 PM »
Waiver
More info

It's mainly in SA.