Author Topic: College Diet  (Read 2380 times)

Offline That_Tall_Guy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
College Diet
« on: December 07, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »
I'm a freshman college student and i wouldn't be described as healthy but it isn't really unhealthy either. When there is good food at the cafeteria i eat it, but sometimes i just eat food i have at my dorm. Does anybody have any suggestions about food that i can keep in the dorm for a quick snack or something to keep me going before class and training?
Before you judge me I would like to give you a cookie.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: College Diet
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 01:20:41 PM »
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=12681.0

Vegetables are always a good diet choice for quick snacking.  Pre-prepared meats (extra from your cafeteria, hard boiled eggs, bagged chicken/deli meat) work good as a source of protein on-the-go as well.  Nuts are also a great snack.

Offline That_Tall_Guy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 02:48:03 PM »
ill remember that, thank you

Offline DickTraceur

• Guenons
  • JM
    • View Profile
    • Some of my music
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 11:16:56 PM »
Hey man. What tools do your have at your disposal? A Microwave is really all you need, but a mini fridge is also nice.

Hardboiled eggs are really the best, but even I get sick of them once in a while.

Canned Fish has an amazing macronutrient balance, and is super tasty.

Oatmeal is an amazing source of protein (Haha Psyche) but nicely compliments a serving of protein with its high fibre content. good for in the morning. Makes your poops really smooth too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Whey Powder is the king of the holy-shit-i have-class-in-five-minutes-and-im-starving foods. I always keep a baggie of it in my backpack with a protein bar. I eat a lot of this. You can mix this with water, milk, juice, name it. Sometimes I also scoop in some oatmeal for a really grainy shake. A++ food would buy again.

If you have the fridge, cottage cheese is great and so is milk to mix with your whey.

Its pretty easy to get protein as a college student. its the other stuff thats the hard part. If you're not eating a MINIMUM of two different colored vegetables I would HIGHLY recommend a multivitamin. CAPITAL LETTERS. Then you have a little more lenience with what you eat, and you can concentrate on just getting enough calories and protein for maintenance/bulking/cutting. Although a multivitamin is good, real vegetables blow the f#ck out of vitamins. if you can get your hands on a variety of fresh vegetables, eat that shit up. Chris is right, vegetables are great for snacking and you SHOULD be snacking on these because they have a lot of fiber and are just f#ckin' really good for you.

Yeah, but mostly those ones I reccomended above are good for in dorms because for the large part they need no refridgeration, prep time, and directly support a good diet. Leaves more time for drinkin brews and bangin some bitches.

"I think that we are clinging to a great many piano tops." - R. Buckminster Fuller

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 11:41:02 PM »
I'd recommend a multivitamin or two daily even if you're getting a rainbow of vegetables.  A multivitamin doesn't replace proper nutrition; it only supplements it.
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline DickTraceur

• Guenons
  • JM
    • View Profile
    • Some of my music
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 11:43:24 PM »
yeah, thats what I was going for with my horrible quagmire of a post.

i gotta start writing outlines for this shit or something...
"I think that we are clinging to a great many piano tops." - R. Buckminster Fuller

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 11:56:04 PM »
A clarification on my second point:

I disagree with Dick when he says that you'll have more leeway with your diet if you take a multivitamin.  This is because, as I understand it, multivitamins only provide micronutrients.  These are essential, but by no means the be-all and end-all of nutrition.  The type, quality, and relative quantities of food you consume has a major impact on hormone control, energy, and so forth.
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 12:00:52 PM »
A clarification on my second point:

I disagree with Dick when he says that you'll have more leeway with your diet if you take a multivitamin.  This is because, as I understand it, multivitamins only provide micronutrients.  These are essential, but by no means the be-all and end-all of nutrition.  The type, quality, and relative quantities of food you consume has a major impact on hormone control, energy, and so forth.

Correct.

There is no magic pill. Nor is there any substitute for hard, effective training.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline That_Tall_Guy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 01:15:47 PM »
ok, so ill get a daily vitamin, to help, i have a minifridge and there is 1 microwave shared between the whole dorm. Ill bring some veggies back with me  to keep in the fridge, the dorm caf has some fruit and i usually take some back to my room when im finished eating (i.e. apples, oranges and bananas). I dont have a car (or lisence *sadface* ) but ill find a way to restock on carrots and such whenever i can. I (as well as every other student in america) am really poor, so ill try to limit myself to only haveing 1 or 2 different things in my fridge, ill try to balance something like cottage cheese and a veggie or something like that. I dont have a place where i can boil eggs though, which really makes me sad cuz i freaking love hard boiled eggs.

Here is a checklist of food i plan on bringing back to school, please comment on anything i have missed or shouldn't have

-Daily Vitamins
-Celery (for first few weeks)
-Baby carrots (to buy after celery runs out)
-Peanut Butter (to put on the celery of course)
-Canned Tuna
-Ritz Crackers (to eat with the tuna)
-Instant Oatmeal (not sure if i should bring it, stove-top oatmeal is not a possibility)
-Pre-cooked Canned Chicken Breast (for meals in case cafeteria has nothing good)
-Whey Powder (im going to need elaboration on this, like what is it and where can i buy it?)
-Apples/Oranges/Bananas (from caf)

I think that covers it. I also have one more question, should i be worrying too much about how many calories that come into my body or how much fat is in stuff? I have a high metabolism as it is and eating quasi-un-healthily without regard to calorie count and such has never effected me, im a skinny/lanky guy.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 09:04:53 PM »
Aim for eating with the macros 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat.

Otherwise, eat a lot if you're trying to gain weight or normally if you're not (and not gaining that is).

The above is very, very, very generalized advice so it may not be correct from person to person.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 05:09:23 AM »
cut out the crackers -- eat your tuna with vegetables.

Offline That_Tall_Guy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 12:53:05 PM »
will do, and thanks everyone for all the advice

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 12:58:54 PM »
Also instant oatmeal is horrible. If you're going to do oatmeal, do the stove-top kind. If you can't do that, better to eliminate the oatmeal altogether.

Re: whey powder--you can buy it at any health-food store or the "health-food" section of your supermarket. Any kind of store that markets to fitness/bodybuilding-type people (like GNC for instance) will also have it. I recommend carrying along a small cooler/lunchpack with you, and keeping a screw-top shaker bottle full of milk in it, to mix with the protein powder, although it does mix with water just fine too. But it mixes better with a shaker bottle no matter what liquid you use.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 01:08:53 PM »
not to be a product whore, but i have never found a shaker bottle that surpasses this one:
http://www.vitaminworld.com/pages/file.asp?cid=5&pid=1717&cpid=2947&afid=72&safid=GoogleBase&scid=9032&cm_mmc=Channel_Intelligence-_-GoogleBase-_-Sports_Nutrition-_-Blender_Bottle&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=069501

Never any chunks in my milk/water and it always makes it nice and frothy.  The key is the little wire whisk that floats in it!