Author Topic: Year One: Tom Coppola 2008.  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
Year One: Tom Coppola 2008.
« on: December 15, 2008, 07:58:13 AM »
This is my video after a year of training.  Thanks for everything, APK.  Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fleIAjiSZGQ&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
Re: Year One: Tom Coppola 2008.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 08:04:44 AM »
Nice!  A lot of good parkour in there.

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 10:18:02 AM »
I posted on youtube but I will just say that there are way too many good points in there to point out any particular ones. Can't wait until you come back down here!!!!!
"The only boundaries you have are the ones that are present with in the constraints of your mind" My quote!

Offline Grant (LOTRFreak993)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 10:22:11 AM »
 :) Much better progression then my 1 year

Offline Zack Bedingfield

• Mangabey
  • iamgustav
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 01:10:39 PM »
So sick dude, loved the whole thing, only part that didn't live up to the consistent awesomeness was the training in the forest. wall run dyno is huge, and loved the lazy turn to 180 under. also your intense spinny reverses are looking sweet, but they didn't seem to fit into your flow as well as I assume you wanted them too.

granted as well these are all after watching it once. going back for a second, nice track too. ooo :58, and that running arm jump after that soo sick. is that down kong at the end the one you had been working up to?

“You do freerunning or parkour, I don’t know, but both are the same. Some people are worried about it, but they are people that don’t train for too long, people that…in terms of training, aren’t mature yet. […] One day I’d like to wake up, open my window, and everyones doing parkour." -Ali Shelton

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 01:39:47 PM »
So sick dude, loved the whole thing, only part that didn't live up to the consistent awesomeness was the training in the forest. wall run dyno is huge, and loved the lazy turn to 180 under. also your intense spinny reverses are looking sweet, but they didn't seem to fit into your flow as well as I assume you wanted them too.

granted as well these are all after watching it once. going back for a second, nice track too. ooo :58, and that running arm jump after that soo sick. is that down kong at the end the one you had been working up to?

lol I thought the reverse fit pretty well.  It was hard to properly convey the natural training bit because you can't really tell how big the sinkhole is not to mention I was slipping everywhere on mud so I was being extra cautious.

Not sure if I was referring to that down kong or the one at 2:20, but both those clips were my first time trying them.  The one at the end was a huge mental barrier though.  It's crazy how big moves like that just come naturally and easier when in the midst of a flow.  Looking forward to this weekend to train with you again.  Are you back to training movement or just lifting still?

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline Zack Bedingfield

• Mangabey
  • iamgustav
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 02:00:29 PM »
It did fit pretty well, I was just nitpicking. and I'm back to movement. =) cya in a week.
“You do freerunning or parkour, I don’t know, but both are the same. Some people are worried about it, but they are people that don’t train for too long, people that…in terms of training, aren’t mature yet. […] One day I’d like to wake up, open my window, and everyones doing parkour." -Ali Shelton

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »
SICK Tom! Quick question, are you a rock climber?
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 02:13:10 PM »
SICK Tom! Quick question, are you a rock climber?

Thanks, Will.  No I'm not a climber, but I definitely pull influence from climbing techniques in my parkour training, especially mantles, stems, and dynos.  I've only been to a rock gym a couple times, but by the end I was completing some pretty difficult problems.  I really like rock climbing, but I just can't bring myself to pay to go to a gym when I can do something I love for free.  Also, I guess its worth noting that I have a fear of heights.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 02:16:36 PM by Tom Coppola »

Offline parkerbb2

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 03:45:40 PM »
That was great i really liked the few combonations.  Very good.  Scrach that very very good.
Run Free Or Die Hard

Offline David Boyle

• Patas
  • 5-10 - 185
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 05:31:13 PM »
Loved the training in the forest bare-footed.  Do you have Amazon feet naturally :)...or did you condition them?

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 05:58:02 PM »
I enjoy that very much. NIcely done.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 06:44:24 PM »
Loved the training in the forest bare-footed.  Do you have Amazon feet naturally :)...or did you condition them?

Hah.  I guess you could say that I conditioned them, though it didn't take very long.  I started by walking around outdoors more often barefoot.  I experimented with barefoot running on some hills in my apartment complex that were littered with acorns.  I used to complain about the acorns, but then I saw them as a tool.  If you run swiftly across acorns on the balls of your feet and you eliminate the thought of "these acorns are gonna hurt" from your mind then they don't become a problem.  Then I alternated running on grass, acorns, and cement.  I also began training dynos barefoot (some are in the video).  Though my feet were pretty beaten up by training on brick and cement, they healed with some strong calluses. 

Offline Zack Bedingfield

• Mangabey
  • iamgustav
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 09:26:28 PM »
bump for people who haven't seen the awesomeness.

Offline Jack Tobin

• Patas
  • Boner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 11:01:37 PM »
Damn. Awesome.