Author Topic: What will you work to improve in the next three months?  (Read 9558 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
What will you work to improve in the next three months?
« on: December 10, 2008, 07:11:19 PM »
I hope to work on acrobatics for spatial awareness, I am at a very beginner stage which is a lot of fun.

I hope to get Back tucks from standing and from up to a 3' object to a soft surface. (maybe summer for 3' to a hard surface?)

I hope to get sideflips on level hard ground and off 3' to hard surface.

I want to get more confidence / consistency in rail precisions

I want to work on kongs / kong combinations until the kong part is no longer a consideration - I think this will take more than three months

You?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 07:13:57 PM by Mark Toorock »
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Xavier HighReach Byrd

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Hierarchy Games and Graphics
Re: What will you work to improve in the next three months?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 07:27:52 PM »
lol my goals are exactly the same as yours.

I'm hoping to get a decent double kong by spring.
I want to get a side flip and aerial so then I can do some cool tricks in my freerunning runs.
I would like to get a backtuck so then I can progress to a gainer then to a corkscrew.
I would like to learn some tricking so I can add more creativity to my runs.

I need to drill precisions and work on my general vault speed and flow.

And finally the thing most people neglect, I need to run and jog a few miles each day to work up my cardio endurance.

This thread was a great idea good luck in your training.
Make a mistake or two, you'll live, and live better because of it.

Offline Jayd Sky

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »
Well, I just started parkour (really excited; feel as though I've been waiting all my life) and here are the things I want to develop right away:

-General upper body strength, I want to be able to pull myself up with no difficulty and I'm fairly heavy.

-Explosive power. I want to JUMP, and be able to launch off surfaces, like walls, with power as well as control.

-Get Kong vaults downpacked to the point that I know I can get one done easily over a reasonable distance.

-Improve cardiovascular health (I have exercise-induced asthma as well, anyone have much experience with that? It's like mild asthma which is only induced by exercise. Very annoying to be forced to stop when you're not totally tired because you can't breathe).

-Get on top my house with a wallrun. This one part of the house isn't very high and I've almost reached it.

I need to pace myself though! I've been so eager with my training that I went and got tendinitis in my wrist. Haven't trained in a week and its still not totally better, talk about frustrating.

Offline Tyler Morita

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 07:33:28 PM »
-I am so close to mastering the front-tuck, I can taste it...I hope to be able to one-step it, and land chest up.

-Work up to a back-full attempt?

-I hope to improve my spatial awareness to encompass flips (side/front) from heights/over obstacles(up to ~3') on solid ground.

-I hope to expand my side-flip vocab to include both take-off styles, both rotation styles, and full control over landing orientation.

-I hope to improve my 'wall sense' and improve my horizontal/vertical wall run distance and steps.

-I want to increase my 100% confident distance on rail precisions, cranes, and cat-leaps - standing, 3-step, and sprint.

-I want to consistently do HIIT, building intensity indefinitely.

-I NEED a muscle-up....rawr!

Offline Corey Cedeno

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 07:35:26 PM »
Begin Parkour... again after a seven month injury leave.  And to see the DC crew pretty soon.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 07:44:41 PM »
Not in any particular order...

1. Simple tricking stuff... front/back tuck, wall flip, gainer(?), side flip
2. Work on traverses... not sure what a specific goal would be except just be able to go a lot longer than I am able to atm
3. General endurance: sprints and longer periods of intense movements
4. Achieving and maintaining that "traceur mental state"... where you're just in the moment and don't allow silly fears or distractions to interfere with what you know you can do.
-Never giving up, never failing to work out when I know I can
5. Perfect handstand => HSPUs
6. Disabling my tendency to show-off. I've found that I get a wee bit too excited and hurt myself... not productive, a bad way to show off, and just dangerous
7. Flawless rolls and dive rolls over both shoulders
8. Developing more solid and organized workouts for use in teaching others

There's probably more ways to improve, as there always are, but these will be good starting point. Great idea for a thread Mark :D. Good luck to everybody, don't get too fat this holiday season :P
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 07:54:25 PM »
(More or Less in order of importance and not quite in order of proximity)

- Roll on concrete with confidence.  This includes rolls from the ground as well as from a ~4 foot drop (jump)
 - 3x5 Squat @ 305# (1.75X BW @175)
 - 1x5 Deadlift @ 350# (2X BW @ 175)
 - Construct a new workout program after I stop making linear gains in SS... probably two months from now.  My new program will probably focus heavily on bodyweight exercises like the planche and (hopefully) front lever, as well as a much more explosive overall body workout to balance out my newfound strength.
 - Hold a handstand for 30 seconds
 - Be able to do 1 muscle up.  Eventually, be able to do 10 muscle-ups in a row (maybe not in 3 months)
 - Be able to do fingertip pushups regularly in preparation for L-sit practice
 - Touch my toes, and gain a lot more flexibility overall (splits, spine, neck, wrists...)
 - Run 2 miles without stopping
 - Perform a butterfly twist

-Never giving up, never failing to work out when I know I can
6. Disabling my tendency to show-off. I've found that I get a wee bit too excited and hurt myself... not productive, a bad way to show off, and just dangerous

Yes.  Me too.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 08:10:38 PM »
1. Getting enough sleep each night (at least 7 hours; ideally 9)

2. Not working more than two 12-hour days in a week (sad but true).

3. Consistent meditation practice

4. I'd like to say a pullup (I know, you are all losing faith at this point)... but honestly, I need to get a grip on learning to live life like a human being, and not a hurricane, first.

#2 is going to be tough. My job is on thin ice right now because our district is in a budget shortfall and with the economy tanked they are looking at ways to make cuts. So I am pulling extra duty trying to do good PR for my program and that is tough since I'm on an overload contract right now as it is.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Tyler Morita

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 08:34:09 PM »
Good luck with the work issues, Muse.

Just thought I'd share this...this thread inspired me!  I just did my FIRST muscle-up!!  I had to use a good swing, but yeah....woo!!  So stoked right now...

Offline Elet ET

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Smite me, Oh Mighty Smiter!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 08:40:23 PM »
1. Well considering i work at a resort, my snowboarding. 7's might be a realistic goal i think. (if'n any you boys n girls in DMV{DC, MD, VA} region ever head up to Ski Liberty gimme a shout at the board rental shop)

2. Progress on Planche push-ups

3. Push-ups in a minute to 80+. Average around 65 right now, highest at 73.

4. Discipline in waking up. Ideal time would be 6:00 with a bedtime round 10:00,  Cut the wires to my snooze button or something...

5. Get more involved in the PK scene. Im kind of isolated up here in western MD but i still wanna get involved. So Sunday at balston here i come...
ProParkour--ANTI-ADVERB!!!!!

If you don't like their rules, Refuse to play their game.
Anarchy is not CHAOS, but order without CONTROL.
Frederick, MD PK

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 08:41:50 PM »
1. Increase precision distance by about 1/4th my foot
2. Get the balls to pull a cork off a ledge
3. make my top outs much more fluid
4. unique combination of movements with particular obstacles here where I train
5. think up a cool idea to finally utilize my HD camcorder in a fun way  :)
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 08:47:24 PM »

5. think up a cool idea to finally utilize my HD camcorder in a fun way  :)

What you need:
Tuxedos
Anything else you want

What to do:
Matrix
Matrix/Parkour
Matrix/Parkour/More Matrix
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline A.E.

• Guenons
  • The world needs more badass Traceuses!
    • View Profile
    • Addicted to Chai
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 08:58:41 PM »
Well, I just started parkour (really excited; feel as though I've been waiting all my life) and here are the things I want to develop right away:

-General upper body strength, I want to be able to pull myself up with no difficulty and I'm fairly heavy.

-Explosive power. I want to JUMP, and be able to launch off surfaces, like walls, with power as well as control.

-Get Kong vaults downpacked to the point that I know I can get one done easily over a reasonable distance.

-Improve cardiovascular health (I have exercise-induced asthma as well, anyone have much experience with that? It's like mild asthma which is only induced by exercise. Very annoying to be forced to stop when you're not totally tired because you can't breathe).

-Get on top my house with a wallrun. This one part of the house isn't very high and I've almost reached it.

I need to pace myself though! I've been so eager with my training that I went and got tendinitis in my wrist. Haven't trained in a week and its still not totally better, talk about frustrating.

I'm glad there's a post like this in the thread. I get kind of intimidated by all the experts. Anyway, this, minus wallrunning to my roof (I wish, man; I live on the sixth floor). BTW, I don't have experience with that particular variety, but I had asthma as a child and both my boyfriend and brother have it. Theirs, though, is more influenced by stress and the temperature (my boyfriend actually nearly overcame his due to years of martial arts training, and is only bothered by it very occaisionally. Don't lose hope--just look at it as another obstacle to overcome). About the wrist tendinitis, just wrap some gauze or athletic tape or something around your wrist pretty tightly, and it won't be so twisted up during lazy and speed vaults. I had that problem too.
Wish me luck!

Offline Samuel96

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Bear hunter-3rd in command
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 09:32:28 PM »
Standing broad jump-8.5 feet consistently and confidently
Muscle up-5 reps

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 10:09:11 PM »
(I have exercise-induced asthma as well, anyone have much experience with that? It's like mild asthma which is only induced by exercise. Very annoying to be forced to stop when you're not totally tired because you can't breathe).

Yeah, I have the same thing.  It bothers me way more when the air is cold, and in the summer it almost doesn't bother me at all.

Theirs, though, is more influenced by stress and the temperature (my boyfriend actually nearly overcame his due to years of martial arts training, and is only bothered by it very occaisionally.

I think the same thing has helped me out.  Hopefully, Jayd, with training your asthma will get better over time. :)

Offline Jereme Sanders

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 10:16:23 PM »
-Fully Recuperate
-Get Muscular endurance back up
-Top outs
-Side Summi to B-twist to swingthrough backtuck
-A movement or two I've thought up that will hopefully come to fruition soon, may take more than 3 months though
-Increase Precision, Wallscale distances, get a more solid vault to precision for max distance

"People may forget what you've done, or said, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

The Best part of Falling Down is Getting Back Up...

Offline Dylan Baker

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 10:46:05 PM »
- organize my hw so that i start it right after school instead of at 10 oclock
- clean, dead hang muscle up (2 hands same time)
- consistently do planches into handstands without soreness in shoulders for next two days
- advanced climb up on any surface (can only do it on brick surface and when i'm feeling good)
- get back confidence in gainers
- there's a bunch of specific runs that i want to do, which can't be described

i hope to get these done within the next 3 months :)

btw, at the end of 3 months, i think each person should write up if they accomplished these goals or which ones they did accomplishe. not sure if that was already the plan, but i think it would be interesting. anyways, great topic!
"You put water into a cup, it becomes the cup;  you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle; you put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.  Now water can flow or water can crash, be water my friend."

-Bruce Lee

Offline Marshall Cent Lewis

• Mangabey
  • PKVA - Richmond, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 11:10:24 PM »
-Cleaner climb ups and muscle ups
-Develop smoother flow
-Precision distance increase by 1 shoe length (currently my max is ~10)
-Train with the Eastern VA guys (the only part of VA I have yet to train with)
-Put out a conditioning video (done)

Most are personal goals, but I also have a lot of community goals for the Central Virginia area.  I'd like to be able to give people a place to be inspired and learn so they don't have to do it all on their own.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 10:20:57 AM by Cent »
USMC Combat Engineers
Nut up or shut up!

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 11:25:43 PM »
1) Develop more structured, organized sessions/workouts for my college parkour group.

2) Work on top-out strength and technique so that I no longer have to bend an elbow in to get both hands under me.

3) Increase Kong distance, both into the hand plant and out of the vault. Can be combined with drilling more Kong-to-Precisions and other Kong-to variations.

4) Start a regimented, intense workout schedule to build raw power and speed, especially acceleration speed. (Goal - 5.0sec 40 yard dash or better)

5) Improve study habits, such as studying for more than one day a week.

6) Improve my diet. (ie - No more pizza, no more ice cream after every dinner, more green vegetables and more water) 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:27:47 PM by Sky »

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 03:45:05 AM »
1- Work on wall frontflips.

2- Perfect my backflips enough to do them in grass.

3- Learn sideflips

4- Work on stand backflips and frontflips.

5- Work on fronthandsring

6- try a couple round off back flips

(There might be open gym on Friday, so I think I can shoot a couple of these down...)
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?