Author Topic: Feiyue  (Read 3331 times)

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Feiyue
« on: December 10, 2008, 06:25:08 PM »
Hey,

Could everyone who trains in Feiyue's post your opinion about them here?

Perhaps you could answer the following:

-Grip?
-Structure (does your foot slide around or your ankle roll a bunch)?-
-Durability?
-Other comments?

Thanks so much guys!
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Jason Schroyer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Feiyue
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:28:25 PM »

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 09:38:25 PM »
EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks a bundle mate!
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Jason Schroyer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 09:43:39 PM »
You're very welcome.  ;)

Offline Tyler Morita

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 07:26:15 AM »
I agree with that product test 100%

I GAVE AWAY my Feiyue's to another local Treceur, because the shoes, for me, weren't worth keeping.  I really like how light and flexible they were, and the rounded sole feels pretty cool once you're use to it, but the durability is atrocious, and there's zero padding or support.  I wouldn't be able to rely on these shoes to hold up under the stress of parkour.

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 07:32:51 AM »
I disagree very much with UF's review. I've had a pair that have lasted 2 years by using them only about once or twice a week, and not drilling wallruns or armjumps those sessions. You should get them a half-size smaller than normal so they fit nice and snug. Use them to practice balance and precisions, foot-placement, running, vaults, landing, etc. They grip just fine so throwing in a few wallruns and cats is fine, especially if you have good form and don't slip while doing them. Feiyues will improve your form and show you how much your regular shoes handicap you. They're invaluable tools as far as I'm concerned.
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Tyler Morita

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 07:59:24 AM »
It sounds like you've managed to work around the durability issues with the Feiyue, which is awesome.  Durability, really, is the only fault I find with them.  They ARE excellent training tools, as you mentioned.  Along the same vein as the Vibram FiveFingers (which I train in daily), and, to an extent, the FiveTen Daescent (which I pk HARD in).

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 09:29:23 PM »
Just ordered a pair from Martialartsmart.com. Fifteen bucks with shipping!!!!! I'll let you all know what I think of them later.
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »
Yesssss, finally after three weeks of being lost in UPS shipping, I got them. I love them. I'll post up a review in a little while when I've really used them.
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Mathew C

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 08:51:24 PM »
Feiyues are your best friend if you want a body to last.

Example: I recently spent a period of time (about 6 weeks) working on jumping, with a heavy emphasis on vertical leap. Of course, whenever my knees or ankles began to feel like they were taking a beating (in a bad way), I would quickly end the workout, then condition for the next week or so while abstaining from jumping, then after a bit go back to my vertical leap. Had I done my jump training in typical running shoes, I would have had a decently large margin of error, and I might have even gone the whole 6 weeks without feeling the need to condition. But, because I used feiyues, I felt every impact as fully as possible. 6 weeks later, not only do I have 29" vertical leap, but my landing technique is bordering on instinct, and 3 hours ago I did 100 full-range-of-motion ledge calve raises and 100 ledge shin raises... for speed.

Basically, feiyues force you to slow down, refine technique until it's good enough that you take almost no impact during a technique, and during the learning process you build up crazy natural shock absorption (support muscles and cartilage). Sure, in theory you could wear any shoes and take the time to do this, but in practice it just doesn't work. You don't feel everything the same way, and you don't learn the same way.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to include my opinion on grip, etc. Here it goes:
Grip
It's all good, as long as you keep away from walls. The tread wears down quickly at first, but then plateaus, and after the first few months the grip stays at a constant 'average'. It's no good on wooden surfaces, but on concrete it's consistently really good, and decent on most common materials.

Structure
If you let your ankle roll a bunch, it will, just like bare feet. That's where we come to what makes Feiyues great - they force you to control that yourself. With support muscles trained and used well, there's no problem. That's coming from someone with such bad overpronation and flat feet that, before I learned how to use my support muscles as they were intended, the entire length of what should have been my arch was flat against the ground, and my feet flattened out so much that I used to wear a 4E shoe.

Durability
The shoes stretch slightly over time. Anything else related to durability was covered in the "grip" section.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:04:42 PM by T rex »

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 10:14:37 PM »
This is true. Feiyue's slow your training down. I trained in them every other day and then for a whole week and when I went back to my Nike's I felt like a gorilla.
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.