Author Topic: What New Training Videos/Articles Do You Want to See?  (Read 8000 times)

Offline enders_shadow

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: What New Training Videos/Articles Do You Want to See?
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 05:54:56 AM »
I was maybe thinking something along the lines of barefoot training? Like, how to get better grip, maybe some toe warmups/stretches...  ;D I'm dead serious, man!

I agree. One of my favorite things to do is climb trees barefoot. And I am looking into barefoot running/training.

Along those lines what a bout a "climb up guide" how to get up and over any obstacle. For instance some of the easiest ways to get up into trees. The leg over and rotate on top of the branch for example. Or the best ways to get down off obstacles and dismount. When swinging/jumping/precision-ing is involved. Basically multi-step processes we don't encounter too often.

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 05:58:43 PM »
Ankle strengthening
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline Dylan Baker

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 09:00:40 PM »
i think it would be helpful if you included at least some basic instructions in your videos as well as the extensive write-up, so you can follow what's going on while the video is playing instead of having to refer to the extensive write-up while you're watching it. i noticed you have done this on at least one video and it proved to be helpful.
"You put water into a cup, it becomes the cup;  you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle; you put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.  Now water can flow or water can crash, be water my friend."

-Bruce Lee

Offline Dylan Baker

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 09:02:13 PM »
also, perhaps a kong gainer to cat tutorial?
"You put water into a cup, it becomes the cup;  you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle; you put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.  Now water can flow or water can crash, be water my friend."

-Bruce Lee

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 10:03:58 PM »
also, perhaps a kong gainer to cat tutorial?

lol

Seriously, I thought of the perfect training video last night right as I was about to fall asleep, and now I can't remember it.  I feel like it had something to do with climbing...

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 09:36:44 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has made a suggestion! I will do my best to get working on everything.

Some more topics people have suggested to me:

Traceur diet
Redo split foot kong drill
Advanced roll tutorial
Bad weather training
Indoors training

(for my own record keeping  ;))

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 09:29:28 AM »
I think an advanced look into kongs would help many. Kongs are a problem for many traceurs. There's lots of tutorials, but they don't go into detail of what you need to do exactly. They all pretty much say "do a split foot take off and push off with the arms to clear the obstacle". I think the diving aspect of the kong needs to be shown clearly. How you need to actually jump towards the obstacle, not run up, place hands and jump.
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Shane Warren

• Guenons
  • Text is inert.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 06:52:21 PM »
I would like to see a tutorial on the kong but on how to go into the kong with more of a running and diving action i cant seem to get it with the diving action
Pain lasts for a few minutes.
Quitting is forever.

Offline Trey from NOLA

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 08:13:41 PM »
I would love to see more efficiency analysis things. Not just for the roll but for many situations to help discover what is truly the most efficient method over any obstacle. Whether it be a certain vault or one of the many variations, and basically when to do what thing to overcome obstacles in truly the most efficient way possible(hence-PARKOUR). I think it would be really helpful and cool to devote a whole section to comparing the efficiency of different means of overcoming the same obstacles in different ways.

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 02:49:18 PM »
hey guys the web site is mad pimpin awesome! i read all the articles and everyone is very informative. i may even go back and reread them to make sure i didnt miss any info. no article suggestions yet, just had to give you guys the "good job" you deserve.... GOOD JOB!
I like to touch different kinds of surface textures.
Parkour lets me do that without feeling weird.

Offline enders_shadow

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 08:52:09 PM »
I just had a thought. It would be great to have an in-depth article on jump-roping. It is a great exercise and my favorite form of cardio, it's easy (there is a learning curve so it can be frustrating at first) and extremely effective. Once good you can do so many tricks to help balance, stamina, coordination, and all your jumping muscles. I think a lot of people avoid jumping because they suck at first or don't know how to really do it right. It's great cardio, for a whole cardio session or warm-up/cool-down. And not to mention for many people (like me) it's way more fun than running and it's fun to count and try to beat your own records!

Offline ryan grice

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2009, 07:54:41 PM »
Hey Ryan,

But then there are things such as the pipes for practicing precision jumping

Much thanks,

- Chris
Different Ryan here, but I just had those very things built. I'll take and post pics and instructions for anyone who wants them when I get home, but the basic idea is a pair of stable pipes about 2.5 inches off the ground for safe precision training. Whole thing cost maybe $50. Probably less. Is that what you wanted?

Offline Chris Eddington

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 04:22:47 PM »

Different Ryan here, but I just had those very things built. I'll take and post pics and instructions for anyone who wants them when I get home, but the basic idea is a pair of stable pipes about 2.5 inches off the ground for safe precision training. Whole thing cost maybe $50. Probably less. Is that what you wanted?
[/quote]

Precisely, if you could share those specs that would be a dream.

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 02:49:35 PM »
My vote for squats on rings! 

Offline ryan grice

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 12:31:50 PM »
I'm not sure how to get a picture of the rail training thing on here since it's over the size limit, but I'll try and be descrptive here. If anyone does know how I can get it up here, let me know and I will.
The main thing is the rail itself, which was a 2 foot long piece of 1 inch black plumbing pipe. Then take a couple sections of 4x4 that are 3 or 4 inches long and drill a 1.5 inch hole completely through the width of it(the measurment on the pipe is the inside diameter, you need the hole in the lumber to match the outside diamter). Put the 2 pieces of wood on the ends of the pipe and you have the thing you're landing on. To raise it so your heels/toes can't hit the ground and to stabalize it, place those two short pieces of wood on a couple of 2 foot long 4x4's. Then drill 2 holes down through the whole contaption on each side(going through both pieces of wood as well as the pipe itself; this may involve switching drill bits a few times). Hammer some bolts into said holes, and then practice jumping onto your new precision training rail!
Sorry about no pics, but hopefully I'll figure that out sooner or later. In the meantime, maybe somebody will understand these instructions well enough to use them anyways. As for all the other measurements I left out, those were improvisational and I don't remember.

Offline Lydia Cloak

• Adorable Mangabey
  • Patas
  • Conquering a thousand vaults begins with a jump
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 10:28:21 PM »
I just had a thought. It would be great to have an in-depth article on jump-roping. It is a great exercise and my favorite form of cardio, it's easy (there is a learning curve so it can be frustrating at first) and extremely effective. Once good you can do so many tricks to help balance, stamina, coordination, and all your jumping muscles. I think a lot of people avoid jumping because they suck at first or don't know how to really do it right. It's great cardio, for a whole cardio session or warm-up/cool-down. And not to mention for many people (like me) it's way more fun than running and it's fun to count and try to beat your own records!

I second this one. I've keep trying to get into jump rope, but know I look goofy initially, so I train outback on the grass...which isn't that great. I agree with the more fun than running thing. Btw, thanks for reminding me to bring my rope with me on my training sessions. I didn't think of that.
Why run from the future and live in the past when you can embrace tomorrow and learn from yesterday?
April 22, 2009 - Beginning of the future
<a href="http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=17035.0>My training log[/url]

Offline Paul Bischoff

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2009, 05:52:12 PM »
I'd like to see a good dive roll tutorial, preferably with a progression.  I searched on YouTube today, but couldn't find anything with any depth.  Thanks and good work so far!
I don't want to be a product of my environment.  I want my environment to be a product of me.