Author Topic: Advice  (Read 1395 times)

Offline wall crawler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Advice
« on: December 08, 2008, 08:30:46 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to convince my parents that
practicing parkour isn't a waste of time and not not a real sport(Thats often the response I get). I'm planning to check out the Primal Fitness gym once I save up enough money but this would all be pointless if my parents say no when I ask them. I really wanna take these classes instead of injuring myself tying to learn on my own. Does any one have a suggestion that I can use to convince them that parkour is no more dangerous than any other sport?

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
Re: Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 01:23:50 PM »
well, I've had a similar issue with my parents, but if they love you unconditioanally and want what's best for you, then it just takes a little show of determination, knowledge about our discipline (being able to answer questions about parkour, calm worries, etc.), and showing her that you want to be safe the whole time. I'm sure it would also help if you showed her Jump Westminster, but I cannot post a link.
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline wall crawler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
thanks for the advice. I'm sure my parents would support me in this more if they knew
more about it. Anyway, thanks again.

Offline RAVENOUS31492

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 08:17:55 AM »
Let your parents read these articles

Origins of parkour
http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/226/325/

Philosophy of parkour
http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/224/325/

The 1st 2 comments on the philosophy of parkour are great, It is also very true.
It pertains to life, and solving problems, and solving the same problems differently.
I know your parents want you to be succesful, parkour is also about you succesfully overcoming a new obstacle without fear.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 08:20:04 AM by RAVENOUS31492 »