Author Topic: Fellowship of Christian Traceurs (International)  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Fellowship of Christian Traceurs (International)
« on: December 03, 2008, 08:49:03 PM »
Hey APK,

I have been working out the logistics of this organization for a while, talking with many people ranging from Chase Armitage over with 3run, to local traceurs in Denver. I take pride in the fact that I am a 'Jesus Freak' to quote DCTalk, and I know that there are a lot of other traceurs out there who do as well. This is it. This is what all of us have been waiting for. The only way to get this program moving is to start small. I'm starting this with a Facebook Page called "Fellowship of Christian Traceurs" with 'international' in parentheses because I hope that everyone from around the globe can come together. I have lots of hopes and ideas for the future, but we need to start somewhere. PM me if you have any questions, comments or suggestions about the group. Otherwise, I hope that this reaches out to those who share the faith!

Peace,
Will

Link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15491622396#/group.php?gid=49892263661
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Casquinha

• Mangabey
  • Dan Handley --- formerly "CommandoChicken"
    • View Profile
    • Joke Pizza
Re: Fellowship of Christian Traceurs (International)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 09:14:16 PM »
While I don't mind religious-based Parkour organizations being listed on APK (in fact, I think it should be encouraged, as long as individual religious views are not being pushed on others), I believe it does violate the rules on religion and politics.
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave no trace." -- A much better version

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:41:14 PM »
In no way did I push my beliefs on anyone. I am simply reaching out to like-minded individuals. This is a forum. A place for all of us to share our ideas, CommandoChicken. Please do not burden this thread with regulatory posts. I am trying to find people who share my beliefs, similar to how you live in a particular country, on whose forum you post regularly to associate with others.  Do you understand where I am coming from?
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Casquinha

• Mangabey
  • Dan Handley --- formerly "CommandoChicken"
    • View Profile
    • Joke Pizza
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 09:50:49 PM »
Absolutely.  And while I too share your beliefs (and put in a request to join the group), there are also certain rules on these forums against both politics and religion.  There was another thread that was posted quite a while back in which the word "Jesuit" was cause for concern.  But it was allowed because it was the name of a school and not a religious organization.

As I stated in my previous post, I would like to see the rules relaxed a bit, but unfortunately, rules are rules.  And if one rule is allowed to be violated, why not others?  I think we need a moderator's ruling on this.
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave no trace." -- A much better version

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 09:58:42 PM »
May I remind you (and the community) that I am not asking for a separate forum or excluding anyone in any particular way. I am simply posting a message, reaching out to those with similar beliefs.
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 10:11:17 PM »
Doesn't really matter... forum rules don't allow anything about religion. It's just safer that way, even if simple threads with only good intentions may get thrown out because of it.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Tyler Morita

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 12:58:19 AM »
As I stated in my previous post, I would like to see the rules relaxed a bit, but unfortunately, rules are rules.

You'd like to see the rules relaxed, yet you're the first to enforce them?

Parkour, to me, is a spiritual discipline, which I practice religiously....am I no longer allowed to participate here?

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 09:23:27 AM »
As I stated in my previous post, I would like to see the rules relaxed a bit, but unfortunately, rules are rules.

You'd like to see the rules relaxed, yet you're the first to enforce them?

Parkour, to me, is a spiritual discipline, which I practice religiously....am I no longer allowed to participate here?

I don't think this is a very polite post, Tyler.  CommandoChicken seems to understand that in a place like an internet forum (not the most serious of domains in this world) it's not exactly worth it to affect change by openly disobeying the rules.  Instead, it's perfectly reasonable to talk to the nice people that run the forums and ask if they're willing to negotiate with the rules a little bit.  It's not as if we're dealing with an organization on the same scale as the United States, and we have to resort to MLK Jr.-esque tactics to get M2 or any of the other moderators to notice us.  They're always online and do a good job of responding quickly to any topic they need to, so trying to change things by not following the rules (as you seem to imply) just doesn't seem like the smart thing to do.  :-\

Also, the second part of your post is arguing semantics, and I think you know it.  There's a difference between having a powerful emotional (or "spiritual") response towards something, and there's a huge difference between the institution of religion and doing something "religiously," and you're neglecting both of those differences to prove a point that I don't think is really there.  If someone has a certain set of feelings or thoughts toward anything (whether it be a religion or parkour or whatever), rules that say very simply "don't talk about religion" in no way limit a person's rights about how they feel or think about something, just about the ways they tell other people about it.

At the end of the day, anyone who reads this thread should realize two things: 1) This thread is about religion, and 2) there is a rule on this forum that forbids people to talk about religion, for better or for worse.  If you don't like this rule, then by all means go to the rules forum and start a petition or ask why the rules are the way they are.  You may not get anything more productive than an explanation about why the rules can't be relaxed from the keyboard of a moderator or admin, but wouldn't that be a faster, more efficient answer than arguing about it amongst regular forum members here?

Offline Tyler Morita

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 09:47:36 AM »
Eli - Intelligent, coherent, and convincing.  Thank you...

I apologize for my last post...I even debated with myself whether to post it or not, but I was admittedly a bit angry with CommandoChicken's lack of respect.

I'm sorry if I implied that it's ok to break the rules if you don't get caught (talk about religion if no one raises a fuss).  The rules were put in place for a purpose, and without them this board would end up a lot less functional.  That said, (and this has gotten me into trouble before) I'm a firm believer in following the spirit of the law, not the letter. We don't talk about religion, because discussion about incompatible differences between people can get out of hand quickly.  The purpose of this post was not of Religious intent or origin, though.  This could be a group for vegetarian traceurs, for instance.  The only way I see that this thread could have gotten out of hand (the intent of the no religion rule), is if someone very ignorantly and aggressively asked why Will's group wasn't for some other "superior" group.  This thread, otherwise, would have been an excellent tool to find people with similar interests, religious or not.

And yeah, I'm flat out sorry about the second part of my post...you raise a good point:
Quote from: Eli Kurtz
If someone has a certain set of feelings or thoughts toward anything (whether it be a religion or parkour or whatever), rules that say very simply "don't talk about religion" in no way limit a person's rights about how they feel or think about something, just about the ways they tell other people about it.
The rules about religion were set in place to limit the ways in which you can tell other people about your religion.  Will was NOT promoting his beliefs, or even providing an opinion of them.  His goal is to tell people about his group, not his religion.  Therefore, I believe his post is valid, and perhaps should be given a new thread where its original intent can be carried out.

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 10:32:31 AM »
You all lose. I'm ashamed no one reported this. No offense to anyone involved, but religious topics are not allowed on this forum for a good reason. If you have a problem with it, send me an email or PM and we'll discuss it. Locked.
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.