Author Topic: New to Parkour -- advise?  (Read 1111 times)

Offline SilverWolf19490

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
New to Parkour -- advise?
« on: December 03, 2008, 02:13:40 PM »
ok, I am 18, 5'1" and about 112lbs not acrobatic and not particularly athlectic, any advise as to how I should really start, anything I should really know?

I got involved in a karate program (I am now black belt  ;D) and they had shown us a little bit of tumbling, and I have seen free runners, and have hoped that I could continue progressing to get to that.

Offline Lonnie Tisdale

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • San Diego Parkour, PKCali.com
Re: New to Parkour -- advise?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 07:41:45 PM »
Hi SilverWolf,

I think the most important concept for beginners to grasp is the idea of making oneself stronger through our movement. We seek out obstacles and interact with them using our natural abilities to run, jump, climb, and vault. Most of our training should go into building up our "armor". Refining, drilling, perfecting natural movement. Building the core.

For now, don't worry so much about set's of moves or tricks. In Parkour, we adapt our movement to the obstacle. When you have the core, the rest will come easy. If you want to learn acrobatics find a gym. These skills are meant for a padded environment and if you want to do them outdoors you need to build up to it unless you want some long term damage.

Finally, get in touch with your local community and learn from each other. If you don't have one, find one or build one yourself.

Good luck, have fun and stay safe!
"Let the fear of danger be a spur to prevent it; he that fears not, gives advantage to the danger."