Author Topic: 21 Years, Too Old?  (Read 2607 times)

Raybourne

21 Years, Too Old?
« on: December 01, 2008, 11:44:15 PM »
Hey everybody,

Parkour recently just caught my eye, a friend from Lousiania said I should try it and has been pushing me to get into it for the past six months (which is why I'm here now). I used to be a competitive Irish Step Dancer (like Riverdance or Lord of the Dance) for 10 years until a broken foot forced me to stop and ultimately led to me having to forfeit my career in exchange for school.

Anyway, I knew I needed to find something new to do and keep me active and this seems just the thing. But I keep thinking, "You're 21 and too old to start," and I don't think any organized class would take such a senior student... as it appears some do actually exist here.

So yeah, I've already got the lower body strength, balance, and can get back the endurance, need the upper body strength still... but is 21 just too senior to start in this community/sport or am I overestimating this?

Thanks guys, maybe I'll seeya around.

Offline Latocki

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Years, Too Old?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 02:20:55 AM »
no way dude, i just turned 21 myself and I've only started six months ago.  Granted, it is a late start compared to someone like david belle who started at 15, but you're still very much young enough to start.

Offline Chris Kessler

• Mangabey
  • iJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 07:05:09 AM »
Hey, don't mean to be intruding on the Arizona boards (from Virginia myself) but I saw this post and felt the need to swoop in!

Parkour has no age limits. I mean look at the founders, they are much older than 21 and still going strong. Don't worry about how old you are! I'm turning 19 soon and I don't see myself not doing parkour as I get older. It is a lifetime discipline and as long as you can train in a way that your body can handle, then age should have no place in your parkour!
"We don't stop playing because we grow up. We grow up because we stop playing."
-Tim "Livewire" Shieff

Offline Jon Hurst

• Patas
  • cuerpo fuerte, mente sano
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 07:12:23 AM »
I "started" at 26 with no athletic background whatsoever. Just now starting to get more serious at 28. There are plenty of people who didn't start until over 30. You're all set.

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 08:36:31 PM »
I'm 21 as well, and I just started training seriously around four months ago.  I trained with a guy in his 30s and another who is 26-28 recently, too, and they seem to be having a good time.  There's actually a whole section of these forums devoted to people over 30, so you're in good shape. :)