Author Topic: Albany, NY  (Read 12347 times)

Offline AndrewFancyname

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Albany, NY
« on: November 25, 2008, 12:50:50 PM »
Hey I'm trying to get started, anyone know any good beginners places near Albany?

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
Re: Albany, NY
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 01:17:35 PM »
I'm actually home right now (in Albany) for the thanksgiving break.

I leave saturday but if you're interested I could probably take some time out to meet with you

Offline AndrewFancyname

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:02:47 AM »
Thanks, but I don't really have free time this week with projects and work. I was hoping someone knew of like a gym or some sort training area for beginners

Offline AndrewFancyname

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 12:14:23 PM »
I have tried searching and have nothing, anyone from the area or been here before that knows of a good beginning training area or some place that could help learn basics and techniques? A hot spot? A gym with mats and such for practicing?
In fact since its getting colder in Albany, if there's no indoor place for training/practicing, does anyone know a good training workout I could do from home?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 06:41:58 PM by AndrewFancyname »

Offline Zephyr102

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 06:10:46 AM »
I'm in Saratoga if anyone is interested :P

Offline Savio

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 10:03:19 PM »
There are plenty of great spots in/around Albany.  Unfortunately, most are outdoors.  Although I have searched hard for a gymnasium, I have found nothing suitable for PK.  Probably the best wintertime training is at the rock gym in Albany.  To truly learn the art, even head outside and be creative with little secluded spots.  Parking garages are usually good, but be respectful of security concerns.  Most importantly, remember that "in PK, there is no such thing as good weather or bad weather... only weather."

If you need someone to show you the ropes, let me know.  Especially when Spring hits, I can show you some GREAT training spots.  It would be nice to develop something of a scene, instead of the few scattered (and very cool) traceurs I have found.

Offline uschi

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • IRON MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 02:03:26 PM »
just outside of albany there is a place called north east institue of gymnastics, they have bars, a toung, a few beams and a spring floor with a lot of mats, i know a kid who used to do gymnastics there, would that be a place to go. idk how to reserve time or anysuch thing tho. sorry if this info was a waste of space or such
cenarious: tikala
grizzly hills: uschi
feathermoon: bucephala
xbox live: gymgirl540

"it's impossible to make anything fool proof, because fools are so ingenious"

"artifical intelegents is no match for natural stupidity"

Offline tikibug

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 10:16:19 AM »
For outdoors stuff, some of the local college campuses could be good.  If you're willing to take the trip north to Troy, I know the RPI campus has some decent terrain.  It's kind of spread out over the entire campus but it's there, and the nice thing is that with the college campuses it's expected that people are just going to be around doing random stuff, so you'll probably be left alone as far as security goes.  As with any place you look at, make sure to check it out thoroughly or you may miss a useful piece of terrain that's not so obvious from a casual glance.

Offline Murtha

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 06:06:46 PM »
I'm pretty new to this, as in, I've had a little training in falls and rolls and the like through martial arts and rock climbing, but other than that, Freerunning is a new world to me, and one that I intend to open the door to.  The main problem I'm having is that I don't have anyone to practice/train with, and in this line of activity, its always good to have someone watch your back and critique the way you do things.  I'm right here in pretty much the center of everything Albany county has to offer as far as terrain is concerned, if anyone with any experience wants to meet up and go over some training schedules, meet-up times, etc. let me know.
Just keep going, just keep pushing.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 08:03:53 PM »
Murtha - check out the Upstate Area Reps Program thread: http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=16577.0

Offline Saunier

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 11:36:14 AM »
My roomate and I are trying to work towards starting parkour and are both in the Albany area. If anyone is looking for someone to run with or to scope out places with, let me know!

Offline ebudrswavey

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
Hey everyone, I am a traceur and trickster from the Albany area. I go to the Albany College of Pharmacy, my friends and I have been looking for people to train parkour with. Anyone interested should feel free to contact me: s_kone@live.com- 5183340516

Offline Ssamery

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 09:36:50 PM »
hey my name is Sam i live in the Binghamton area , so Albany is not that far away for me if u ever wanted to meet up with some people i would be game for that no one around me really practices parkour

Offline Whoopzs

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 01:05:29 AM »
Hello,

I am completely new to parkour. I used to go to the gym for a year mainly for strength training. I have very much looked up to the idea of parkour and if somebody in the Albany area would be willing to teach me I would be most grateful!

Offline xcrunna4

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Live life to the fullest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 04:40:23 PM »
Hey my name is Northern and I'm a 15 year old living near Schenectady. I'm looking for people that could train with me because I can't find anyone that is interested in parkour in my town. If anyone is interested in meeting up that would be great, i am of average skill but in great shape and willing to learn. Thanks guys!!!
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift -Steve Prefontaine

Offline Jon J

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 06:32:53 PM »
Hi, I know this isn't to do with Albany, but I was wondering if any of you guys know of a place to get training; like lessons/classes on parkour in the Binghamton/Vestal NY area because I want to start doing it but have zero training.