Author Topic: Huh  (Read 1049 times)

Offline phil1361

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Huh
« on: November 25, 2008, 04:31:35 AM »
Hello All,
I found this place quite by accident. Very interesting Sport(?) Art(?). I'm quite a bit older then most of you here but was thinking, hell I have insurance I might have to give this a try. So where does an old timer like me begin?

Offline Lonnie Tisdale

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • San Diego Parkour, PKCali.com
Re: Huh
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 01:49:18 PM »
You are probably not as outnumbered in age as you might think... PK is accessible to anyone! We had a guy in his mid 50's training with us on a regular basis! Like everyone else, you've got to start small and progress wisely. Progression is the key to everything we do!

First, get used to moving again. Learn to explore your environment with new eyes, the way a child moves around a jungle gym. Don't worry about technique's or "moves" just yet. Seek out obstacles and interact with them. Figure out how to overcome them using your bodies natural abilities(Running, Jumping, Climbing, Quadrupedal Movement). Adapt yourself to the obstacle and make yourself stronger in the process. Remember, your movements should be building up your body and not wearing it down.

The next step is learning proper bio mechanics. How do we jump? How do we land safely? What kinds of injuries are common in Parkour and how can we prevent them? Read everything you can get your hands on and don't be afraid to ask questions. Online and Local communities are invaluable for this. Get in touch with more experienced practitioners.

Finally, practice makes perfect. As your skill increases, the risks you take should decrease. We want to perfect our movement in order to eliminate risk. The real skill is in the precision of the movement, not the size of the obstacle.
"Let the fear of danger be a spur to prevent it; he that fears not, gives advantage to the danger."

Offline Jason Pollard

• Patas
  • Aphoticlight
    • View Profile
Re: Huh
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 04:31:28 PM »
Lonnie is exactly right there is no age limit to Parkour
And parkour is an art and a physical diciplen(sp?). Just practice and dont be afraid to ask questions the parkour communitee welcomes you with arms open and we are always here to help anyone who needs it ;D

"Run Free Live Free and Think Free"