Author Topic: Kong vault....  (Read 2401 times)

Offline ir193

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Team Fruit Cocktail
    • View Profile
Kong vault....
« on: November 14, 2008, 08:07:49 PM »
Ok i recently learned the monkey vault. Now i need to learn the kong vault. I was able to do it on my friends couch wich is onl 3 feet tall and 4 feet long. I tried to do it over a picnick table and i keep untucking right in the middle of the vault and end up in the middle of the table. is there a way for me to get over better
"For the lotus flower to fall is to rise to the surface."

Henry Okazaki

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Kong vault....
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 08:11:09 PM »
Lift your hips up higher.

It is a bit daunting at first, because you need to make your body at an angle (with yoru face pointing down).
It will help you out though. Also, push harder with your hands.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline pinkpawn

• Guenons
  • John [pinkpawn] Bingley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 06:26:02 AM »
First off, landing on the table is actually good practice; it can teach you how it feels to bail a move and still land safely. There has been many a time where I have clipped my foot or knee and still managed to land a jump properly. With the kong, again progression is they key and that only comes from practice (bail or no bail).
As someone who has just learnt the monkey and is beginning their Parkour journey, I would be most interested in what your arms are doing during a Kong. Due to technique, strength and familiarity with the move, I would assume you are not getting much extra push or lift once your hands touch down after your jump. Therefore at the moment it is important that your hands reach as far as possible across the object you are trying to vault before you put them down. Basically once you put your hands down your body is going to go down, so keep them up as long as possible.

I would also try to learn it on something smaller, like a stone wall, brick bbq etc. Practice running and monkey-ing smaller objects to get the feel and flow going; slowly increasing the size of the objects you are monkey-ing until they become kongs. It took me about 4 months of doing this once I had a really good monkey before I tried to Kong a picnic table. Learning to run, jump, spot my landing, balance (you need it while in the air and as you are landing), land, recover and continue all in the correct amounts to ensure I made it took practice. Don't worry about rushing it..

Speed is also a factor in completing a Kong vault, especially when you are learning the move. It takes practice to increase your speed at a move, but the speed required will also decrease with practice. You could possibly need more forward momentum (speed) to cross your object until you hone your technique.
The edge..                                                           ..its the starting point, not the limit!

Offline Spark710

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 09:11:03 AM »
Therefore at the moment it is important that your hands reach as far as possible across the object you are trying to vault before you put them down. Basically once you put your hands down your body is going to go down, so keep them up as long as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhNbm19RiTE

This is me konging an 8 foot picnic table.  My hips don't come up at all and my hands come just past half way, but did do it.
I know my form is abstract, but if it works for me, is it alright?  Or will it need to be corrected for longer kongs?
What is fitness without finesse?
What is power without precision?

99% right is still 100% wrong.

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 09:44:03 AM »
Therefore at the moment it is important that your hands reach as far as possible across the object you are trying to vault before you put them down. Basically once you put your hands down your body is going to go down, so keep them up as long as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhNbm19RiTE

This is me konging an 8 foot picnic table.  My hips don't come up at all and my hands come just past half way, but did do it.
I know my form is abstract, but if it works for me, is it alright?  Or will it need to be corrected for longer kongs?

Do you notice how uncontrolled your landing is?  With a kong of that distance you should really be aiming to place your hands toward the end of the table so that you cover most of the distance with your initial dive.  You placed your hands about half way down the table and this forced you to really reach forward to clear it, which caused your landing to be sloppy.  You won't have this problem if you dive further out and bring your hips up. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline ir193

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Team Fruit Cocktail
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 12:17:32 PM »
First off, landing on the table is actually good practice; it can teach you how it feels to bail a move and still land safely. There has been many a time where I have clipped my foot or knee and still managed to land a jump properly. With the kong, again progression is they key and that only comes from practice (bail or no bail).
As someone who has just learnt the monkey and is beginning their Parkour journey, I would be most interested in what your arms are doing during a Kong. Due to technique, strength and familiarity with the move, I would assume you are not getting much extra push or lift once your hands touch down after your jump. Therefore at the moment it is important that your hands reach as far as possible across the object you are trying to vault before you put them down. Basically once you put your hands down your body is going to go down, so keep them up as long as possible.

I would also try to learn it on something smaller, like a stone wall, brick bbq etc. Practice running and monkey-ing smaller objects to get the feel and flow going; slowly increasing the size of the objects you are monkey-ing until they become kongs. It took me about 4 months of doing this once I had a really good monkey before I tried to Kong a picnic table. Learning to run, jump, spot my landing, balance (you need it while in the air and as you are landing), land, recover and continue all in the correct amounts to ensure I made it took practice. Don't worry about rushing it..

Speed is also a factor in completing a Kong vault, especially when you are learning the move. It takes practice to increase your speed at a move, but the speed required will also decrease with practice. You could possibly need more forward momentum (speed) to cross your object until you hone your technique.

well when im trying to kong the table my hands are going only about half way. but its kinda hard for me to put my hands to the very edge. i think i just need to dive in with my hips higher

Henry Okazaki

Offline 'Knox'

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 03:20:02 PM »
ok i know i keep showing you pics and vids but skip to 2:49 in my 3 month vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjtatYosetw&fmt=18
to see some kongs... you need hips up and a good dive. why try to jump something bigger than you are capable of? you will only risk getting hurt. you should only kong something if you can get your hands close to the end of the object and still have your hips up. also a lot of speed will help.

Offline Spark710

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 05:55:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice TB.  I would think a good way to train hips up and arcing in general would be to kong something at ground level.  Check Knox's link at 0:28 to see what I mean.
What is fitness without finesse?
What is power without precision?

99% right is still 100% wrong.

Offline pinkpawn

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 06:02:32 PM »
well when im trying to kong the table my hands are going only about half way. but its kinda hard for me to put my hands to the very edge. i think i just need to dive in with my hips higher

Like myself and others have said, you really need to get your hands down in probably the last 1/4 or so of the table. If you cant you aren't ready to kong objects of this size yet and need to work on your technique on other objects. More speed will help you achieve this, but technique is more important. Like I said in previous post 'speed comes from training, but the more training you do the less speed you need'  ie: your technique gets better the more training you do (jumps are longer, higher etc) and speed becomes less important.

I will try to take some pics of what I use for jump training at my house, and you can see why you need to put your hands down towards the end..
The edge..                                                           ..its the starting point, not the limit!

Offline pinkpawn

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 11:30:35 PM »
As promised here are the objects and configurations I practice most of my jumps on. These give my great flexibility on whatever I need to practice, and so far using these I have learnt: speed vault, reverse, dash, lazy, monkey and kong.
The best thing about using items such as these is their ability to be setup in different configurations; not what you would encounter in an urban environment, but useful for training on. It makes it easy to practice using both left and right handed techniques due to their mobility. These are great for practicing kongs on because it forces you to get your hands down towards the end. Put your hands down too soon using picture 4 and you hit nothing but air, closely followed by the ground or bin!

Oh I am 178cm tall or 5'10" (btw I think I really need a pair of their shoes now I realise this :D) and the bins come level with my belly button. So these are a bit taller than your standard picnic type table. Take note that even though I can kong the last picture and bigger; I don't jump straight into it, as I need warm-ups to be able to go that kind of distance. So even though you may progress to a level where you can do it, each training session is still a progression from cold muscles to warm muscles that are ready for this kind of workout. I hope this gives you some ideas on different ways to train and perfect your kong.

Config 1  Config 2  Config 3  Config 4

I run left to right, and once my friend gets his new camera will take photos of my jumps using these bins  ;D

Offline ir193

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Team Fruit Cocktail
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 08:32:02 PM »
Well today i finally konged over a picnick table. i was very excited. my friend and i paused after i konged..lol i found out i just gotta lift my hips like you guys said put my hands further and tuck longer. thanks for the help everyone i appreciate it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 08:00:49 PM by ir193 »

Henry Okazaki

Offline parkerbb2

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 11:27:43 AM »
kinda off topic here but knox where are you training in this video? ???
Run Free Or Die Hard