Author Topic: Rolling On Concrete  (Read 2327 times)

capnkissling

Rolling On Concrete
« on: November 10, 2008, 02:35:40 PM »
I can do rolls without any problem on grass, even after a big drop. However, I'm certain I'll injure myself pretty badly if I try it on concrete. I was looking at the rolling topic above but couldn't find any sound advice on it, so I figured I'd give it a go here.

Thanks,
-Tom

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling On Concrete
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 05:47:57 PM »
Have you ever tried rolling on concrete from a crouching position yet? Until you do that you'll have no idea how good your rolls are.
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

capnkissling

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:14:33 PM »
Not yet, I'll give it a go and let you know the feedback.

Offline Spark710

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 07:24:29 PM »
I had the same experience.  I could take a running jump of about 10 feet onto grass no problem.  But concrete was impossible.  After the third hour of tutorial videos, I realized that I didn't have any abnormal bone or something.  My form was just plain horrible, and the grass had allowed for it.  After I corrected my form, I had concrete down within the hour.
Re-evaluate your form and maybe try something softer before concrete (wood, thin carpet, etc.)
What is fitness without finesse?
What is power without precision?

99% right is still 100% wrong.

Offline Steve Zavitz

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 12:23:27 PM »
Yea, I agree with you, Spark.  Try something that's a little softer than concrete; I suggest thin carpets because they won't scratch you up if your technique isn't perfect.  Just take it slow at first.  Start from a crouched position where you almost fall into the roll; this isn't proper technique, per se, but it will give you confidence and help you adjust the position of your body during the roll.  It takes a lot of time, but you'll get there eventually.

capnkissling

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 03:53:27 PM »
That's a good idea. I got the tutorial video coming in the mail, so I'll check it out once it shows up. I did try a roll on concrete but every time, I would freak out and sort of catch myself/roll sideways. Needless to say, it doesn't feel good.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 10:00:56 PM »
I had the same experience.  I could take a running jump of about 10 feet onto grass no problem.  But concrete was impossible.  After the third hour of tutorial videos, I realized that I didn't have any abnormal bone or something.  My form was just plain horrible, and the grass had allowed for it.  After I corrected my form, I had concrete down within the hour.
Re-evaluate your form and maybe try something softer before concrete (wood, thin carpet, etc.)

Real quick, I have to say that if your roll isn't good enough on concrete, you shouldn't be using it for 10 foot running jumps, even onto grass. Bad technique means it's not redirecting the momentum properly. Improper momentum means injury and impact. I wouldn't do anything that you wouldn't do on concrete.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Nick Kelly

• Mangabey
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Horizons
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 10:21:19 PM »

Real quick, I have to say that if your roll isn't good enough on concrete, you shouldn't be using it for 10 foot running jumps, even onto grass. Bad technique means it's not redirecting the momentum properly. Improper momentum means injury and impact. I wouldn't do anything that you wouldn't do on concrete.

Agreed.

In response to the rolling on concrete thing, just go out on concrete and practice it. You'll be getting a lot more feedback than if you were training them on grass. Keep in mind that it won't be painless at first, but just stick with it. There is no magic trick to rolls. It just takes practice, and finding out which sensations will not be eliminated, and identifying the pain that can be eliminated. (Rolling on concrete won't feel like rolling on pillows no matter how good your roll is, but if you are rolling correctly you shouldn't have any "pain".)

Offline Spark710

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 06:09:32 PM »

A misunderstanding.  What I meant to say was that it felt like no problem.  The grass allowed for sloppy technique.

Offline Alex Berry

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 08:09:28 PM »
Well i would just like to add. perhaps a nice think sweatshirt would be a nice precaution for your first attempts. Its an idea i had but im no where near ready with my rolls to step onto asphalt or concrete. 

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 07:45:55 AM »

A misunderstanding.  What I meant to say was that it felt like no problem.  The grass allowed for sloppy technique.

Yeah. Exactly what I'm saying.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Spark710

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 01:03:46 PM »
Well i would just like to add. perhaps a nice think sweatshirt would be a nice precaution for your first attempts. Its an idea i had but im no where near ready with my rolls to step onto asphalt or concrete. 

When I just started trying to learn on concrete, I thought the same thing.  A sweatshirt would make it easier with padding and whatnot.  Right?

Well, when I actually got to learning, I noticed that the sweatshirt provided minimal padding and I ended up ditching it and just using a T-shirt.  It allowed for a better 'feel' of the ground.  In my opinion, a sweatshirt is more for the confidence.

capnkissling

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 02:47:30 PM »
I finally did it! Apperently my rolls are pretty good form (as I feel little or no pain, even on concrete). The biggest issue was fear causing me to screw up. My rolls on grass are very good I just couldn't transfer the technique to concrete because I'd freak and screw up. I finally pulled it off and threw them into some jumps and they are feeling pretty good! ;D

Going out and simply practicing them is probably the best way to go, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten over the fear of hard concrete.